iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shop Heat Ideas

Started by Spike60, November 10, 2022, 06:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

a 20-pound container (bottle) should weigh 13.5# empty, so 33.5# full.  if it weighs 28.5# then it has only 15# of propane.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

bigblockyeti

Quote from: ladylake on November 22, 2022, 03:23:34 PM
Around here the local Fleet and TSC are about 1/2 the price of most.  For the shop I'd get a mini split system. around 350 percent efficient and I think electric rates are way more stabile than propane.  Steve
Electric rates might be stable where you're at but that'a apparently not the case everywhere.

Look at Downstream's reply #6.
Added a couple of wood stoves in Firewood and Wood Heating

Real1shepherd

Quote from: jb616 on November 23, 2022, 11:26:59 AM
If it wasn't already stated, the reason that they don't fill them 100% is that most of the tanks are past certification and by not filling them all the way, they can get by without recertifying them. (maybe a little marketing fib too)  So always beware, the tank exchanges are only 15 lbs instead of 20lbs.
The marketing "fib" thing was what got them in trouble. That's why they have to state it now that you're getting 15 lbs instead of 20 lbs.

As far as getting newly certified bottles....I've seen people get bottles in those cages that were about to expire by date code. You could keep trying until you get fresher bottles and then go elsewhere.

Kevin

Real1shepherd

Quote from: bigblockyeti on November 24, 2022, 09:22:31 AM
Electric rates might be stable where you're at but that'a apparently not the case everywhere.

Look at Downstream's reply #6.
Added a couple of wood stoves in Firewood and Wood Heating
Gas and electric co here sent a notice out a few months ago that ALL rates would increase by 12%. No reason was given but implied COVID gouging.

Kevin

Don P

We hooked one up this week that will not shut off. I'm relying on the torpedo heater's valves until we use it and can send that exchange down the road, with sharpie arrows and "dead valve" on it. I've gotten several bottles I'm surprised they repainted and sent out. Also got a leaky oxygen bottle this year. QC  :-\

aigheadish

I don't leak test like maybe I should but that is scary Don, especially the oxygen one... 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

aigheadish

Welp, this past few days in the sub-zero degree range has encouraged me to buy a heater... I went with the electric model here, a Comfort Zone 7500W job for which I'll have to run power. I'm pretty sure it'll do better and heat more effectively for less money than I pay in propane or kerosene. I like the idea of keeping it on a thermostat when I feel like I'll be in the shop more, flip it on and let things warm up a bit. I guess we'll see. Many of the reviews on Cramazon suggest folks using it in similar ways as I will.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

John Mc

Quote from: jb616 on November 23, 2022, 11:26:59 AMIf it wasn't already stated, the reason that they don't fill them 100% is that most of the tanks are past certification and by not filling them all the way, they can get by without recertifying them. (maybe a little marketing fib too) So always beware, the tank exchanges are only 15 lbs instead of 20lbs.

From what I understand, you are not supposed to refill a tank at all if it's out of certification. The pressure in the tank does not change if it's filled to 15 vs 20 lbs. The tank swap places like to claim that it is for their customer's safety. The local propane dealer says that's BS: the only thing safer about a partial fill is the difference in the size of the explosion. (He does not fill small tanks, so has nothing to gain one way or the other.) I suppose it's possible he's wrong, but I believe him more than I believe the text on the tank swap labels that claim "For our customer's safety..."
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

aigheadish

Heater is in and has been on for about half an hour. I've got it pointed pretty much over the top of my head when I'm chilling out in my chair and so far, though it isn't terribly cold out here (42 about 20 minutes after the heater was turned on), it seems like it should be nice.

My terrible math estimates around 20-25 bucks per month in electricity at 2 hours per day average, for better heat. I think I won't use it on weekdays so often, but may catch up on the weekends. 

I'm currently in a warm carhartt jacket and long sleeve t shirt with a hat on and any of the outer layers could come off and I'd be OK. So far so good. 

I ran the power for this one, which usually my lovely wife is the electrician in the house, but it was pretty easy. (she supervised) 

DHansen

22ยฐF in my shop.  Need to make a fuel resupply run.  

Spike60

Wow, that's an awful lot of fuel cans there!

I sort of anticipated this, but closing the store means I'll be tinkering out in my own workshop more. Not sure where that will end up cost wise. Still going with 2 track approach of twin tank top propane and the Kerosun. Only run one at a time unless boosting it from a real low temp. Fire em both up and things warm up fast. 

Current costs around here: tank exchange is $22, K1 is $7.29. Have yet to really figure out hours of heat related to those costs. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

This 1950's era kerosene heater heats my 24x24 shack easily.  5-7 gallons every two to three days.  Running non stop when I'm there.  Always have to turn it on low once the shack reaches 65-70 degrees F.  Simple, effective and needs no electricity to operate.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Spike60 on January 15, 2023, 08:01:02 AM
Wow, that's an awful lot of fuel cans there!

I sort of anticipated this, but closing the store means I'll be tinkering out in my own workshop more. Not sure where that will end up cost wise. Still going with 2 track approach of twin tank top propane and the Kerosun. Only run one at a time unless boosting it from a real low temp. Fire em both up and things warm up fast.

Current costs around here: tank exchange is $22, K1 is $7.29. Have yet to really figure out hours of heat related to those costs.
Bob,
Gave up on digging the natural gas line to the garage for now. The weather got really cold, the ground froze, and now it's like spring, but I lack the motivation. Went with the double-top propane heater. The 20lb tanks here are $17ea to fill. The only upside there is that they exchanged both expired tanks I had. I can get propane much cheaper on the rez, but that's 40 miles away....can't pencil it out for just two tanks.

The double propane heater I would have to say is not very economical. If it was really cold and I wanted to work say 7hrs in the garage on HIGH, it would almost take a tank. It is impressive heat though.

K1 kerosene is $14/gal here at the farm store....more at the bulk plant. So basically, my kerosene heaters have become an adornment. I could run winter diesel in them, but I hate the smell.

Kevin

Al_Smith

As a rule they don't check the certification dates on a propane bottle unless they want to sell you another one .It all depends on where you live I guess .It's an old con game just like inspection fees on oxygen and acetylene bottles .A way to filch more money out of you if they can .On the propane if they want to be stinkers  about it just find a trade in deal which usually costs a few bucks more then you get an updated bottle .Several ways to skin that cat .

Al_Smith

It was 19 above this morning and it just so happens to be the same time I need to load up my fire wood trailer .It's now 37 and I load a little and warm a little .It always gets done just takes longer .
I've lost my enthusiasm to work in the cold .I've got an original "Ember Glow " heater  in my garage but it has to be dire straights if I do anything in this weather.

weimedog

Shop heat? That is what "dinner tables" are for, whimped out and brought mine inside to assemble. :) 
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Al_Smith

:D I did that once repairing a hydraulic pump on a Ferguson tractor .Laid down plastic and lots of news paper .It wasn't that bad of a mess to clean up .

Walnut Beast

Quote from: DHansen on January 15, 2023, 08:13:07 AM
This 1950's era kerosene heater heats my 24x24 shack easily.  5-7 gallons every two to three days.  Running non stop when I'm there.  Always have to turn it on low once the shack reaches 65-70 degrees F.  Simple, effective and needs no electricity to operate.

Looks good!! 

Spike60

Good Lord, $14 a gal? Yikes! Agree that the tank tops go quick if on high and both burners lit. I can usually get what I need with just 1 burner on low or med. Radiant effect with the tank top is nice. Kerosun makes zero noise. Like that I have the 2 options. I've run into both no full tanks, and no K1, (or a broken pump). 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

Yeah, and I love K1 heaters. Had eight of them once, but now down to two. The bigger one hasn't been run for yrs....too thirsty although it really puts out the heat.

The BTU content of propane far exceeds natural gas, but it's now also the victim of COVID gouging. Almost a dollar less on the rez per/gal for propane....just can't get there and back cheap enough.

I'm still considering a company propane tank....be so much easier. Just before Christmas my buddy's son was headed down to TX with his GF and then to Florida to work as cooks. Right before they were getting ready to leave, the girl that was gonna watch their house, had the clutch go out on her Suzuki car. I finally got called to do that job after the boy couldn't make it work. He got stumped just taking things apart. Anyway, that's when it turned bitter cold and the car was in a garage. I fooled around with it for about a half hr and said I gotta get some heat over here. We almost had that propane dual heater on top of us. That's when I found out that dual heater propane setup is not that efficient on fuel. :D

Clutch got put in for the house sitter and off they went.....only to be stranded in NM with the tranny going out on their Charger. 4 large for that repair on the road.:o

Kevin

Al_Smith

I think K1 is a tad more than diesel fuel .I usual have 5 gallons of each on hand for various usage .A kerosene "torpedo"  heater if it has any size to it can really go through the  kerosene .
The either 4 or 5 panel infrared is not bad on propane but as I've said it has to be really important to fire it up and work on anything this time of the year.
I suppose good old fire wood would be the least expensive if you have a supply of it and live where you could use it .Not everybody does though .

aigheadish

I have the free wood but not the space for the stove, in the shop at least.

DHansen

I get more heat out of a gallon of kerosene vs diesel.  I can use either in that old gravity feed burner.  But kerosene seems hotter and cleaner.  Just what my observation are and my 2ยข.

beenthere

DHansen
Interesting, as kerosene has fewer BTU's per gallon than diesel. Not by much, just around 10,000 BTU's less for kero
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DHansen

Is all diesel the same?  When I have used diesel it was the pump grade winter stuff, I suspect it's the new bio diesel stuff.  I am not fluent in diesel mechanics or fuels.  And it is just a perseption from me. Lots of variables come into play with ambient temps and flow settings.  But now I know kerosene has less BTU's.

Thank You Sponsors!