The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Shop Heat Ideas  (Read 5823 times)

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
  • Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been"!
    • Share Post
Re: Shop Heat Ideas
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2023, 02:23:20 PM »
Shop heat? That is what "dinner tables" are for, whimped out and brought mine inside to assemble. :) 
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2023, 02:31:17 PM »
 :D I did that once repairing a hydraulic pump on a Ferguson tractor .Laid down plastic and lots of news paper .It wasn't that bad of a mess to clean up .

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2023, 03:17:17 PM »
This 1950's era kerosene heater heats my 24x24 shack easily.  5-7 gallons every two to three days.  Running non stop when I'm there.  Always have to turn it on low once the shack reaches 65-70 degrees F.  Simple, effective and needs no electricity to operate.
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Looks good!! 

Offline Spike60

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2023, 06:28:37 PM »
Good Lord, $14 a gal? Yikes! Agree that the tank tops go quick if on high and both burners lit. I can usually get what I need with just 1 burner on low or med. Radiant effect with the tank top is nice. Kerosun makes zero noise. Like that I have the 2 options. I've run into both no full tanks, and no K1, (or a broken pump). 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2023, 06:49:09 PM »
Yeah, and I love K1 heaters. Had eight of them once, but now down to two. The bigger one hasn't been run for yrs....too thirsty although it really puts out the heat.

The BTU content of propane far exceeds natural gas, but it's now also the victim of COVID gouging. Almost a dollar less on the rez per/gal for propane....just can't get there and back cheap enough.

I'm still considering a company propane tank....be so much easier. Just before Christmas my buddy's son was headed down to TX with his GF and then to Florida to work as cooks. Right before they were getting ready to leave, the girl that was gonna watch their house, had the clutch go out on her Suzuki car. I finally got called to do that job after the boy couldn't make it work. He got stumped just taking things apart. Anyway, that's when it turned bitter cold and the car was in a garage. I fooled around with it for about a half hr and said I gotta get some heat over here. We almost had that propane dual heater on top of us. That's when I found out that dual heater propane setup is not that efficient on fuel. :D

Clutch got put in for the house sitter and off they went.....only to be stranded in NM with the tranny going out on their Charger. 4 large for that repair on the road.:o

Kevin

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2023, 11:40:21 AM »
I think K1 is a tad more than diesel fuel .I usual have 5 gallons of each on hand for various usage .A kerosene "torpedo"  heater if it has any size to it can really go through the  kerosene .
The either 4 or 5 panel infrared is not bad on propane but as I've said it has to be really important to fire it up and work on anything this time of the year.
I suppose good old fire wood would be the least expensive if you have a supply of it and live where you could use it .Not everybody does though .

Offline aigheadish

• Senior Member x2
  • Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2023, 12:36:10 PM »
I have the free wood but not the space for the stove, in the shop at least.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Offline DHansen

• I'm still learning!
    • Share Post
« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2023, 12:39:25 PM »
I get more heat out of a gallon of kerosene vs diesel.  I can use either in that old gravity feed burner.  But kerosene seems hotter and cleaner.  Just what my observation are and my 2.

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2023, 02:30:51 PM »
DHansen
Interesting, as kerosene has fewer BTU's per gallon than diesel. Not by much, just around 10,000 BTU's less for kero
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline DHansen

• I'm still learning!
    • Share Post
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2023, 02:43:30 PM »
Is all diesel the same?  When I have used diesel it was the pump grade winter stuff, I suspect it's the new bio diesel stuff.  I am not fluent in diesel mechanics or fuels.  And it is just a perseption from me. Lots of variables come into play with ambient temps and flow settings.  But now I know kerosene has less BTU's.

Offline dairyguy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2023, 02:54:04 PM »
Is all diesel the same?  When I have used diesel it was the pump grade winter stuff, I suspect it's the new bio diesel stuff.  I am not fluent in diesel mechanics or fuels.  And it is just a perseption from me. Lots of variables come into play with ambient temps and flow settings.  But now I know kerosene has less BTU's.
There is a winter blend and summer blend of diesel.   In my section of NY the main difference is winter diesel has about 30% kerosene added to it for cold tempature flowability.
I bet our Canadian friends get an even higher amount of kerosene cut into theirs.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2023, 03:06:16 PM »
I have used the off road diesel as it is off road.  wonder about breathing the burned red dye.   ::)   :o  :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2023, 04:18:29 PM »
Speaking of which .red dye .I've heard of tax people from say Ohio go around farm sales to check for red dye in the fill spouts .Obviously they must have found some . That stuff stays forever .

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2023, 03:42:50 PM »
I get more heat out of a gallon of kerosene vs diesel.  I can use either in that old gravity feed burner.  But kerosene seems hotter and cleaner.  Just what my observation are and my 2.
That was all explained to me once. K1 is jet fuel without the aviation additives. If diesel was better to burn in jet turbines, then they wouldn't use the more refined jet fuel. K1 burns cleaner and safer in most kerosene heaters. But.....if you have an oil furnace, it's set up for heating oil, not K1.

Kevin

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2023, 05:37:56 PM »
This past weekend i was thinking this would be nice with that horizontal flue right under the main walkway in the shop. Have the firebox door under floor outside and it heats a floor slab/horizontal flue.
Ondol - Wikipedia
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline woodroe

• Share Post
« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2023, 07:04:32 PM »
Inherited a 40K BTU torpedo heater and been using that occasionally
in the shop when things need tinkering on.
Had a small Logwood wood stove in there and although
my stove pipe setup was safe doubted it would  pass the insurance sniff test so
quit using that after many years.
We are down to one K-1 pump at a gas station 20 mins away and at $7 gal its
about the least expensive route for me seeing it doesn't get used much.
Bought a decent carbon monoxide detector, reads PPMs down to 0.
Haven't been able to detect any carbon monoxide using it but like others have mentioned a source of fresh air is needed , windows or doors cracked to replace
depleted oxygen from the combustion process.
Would like to put in a masonry chimney for a wood stove but not sure if the insurance Co. would approve of it.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2023, 07:15:53 PM »
In theory that under floor thing should work .Hot water in a concrete slab  works and can often be done with nothing more than a water heater and a recirc  pump .Rather slow to heat up the slab but once done doesn't take much to keep it warm .

Offline aigheadish

• Senior Member x2
  • Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2023, 05:06:33 PM »
So far I've probably got about 10-15 hours in this little electric heater and though it doesn't warm my feet I love it. I adjusted it a bit and now it's pointing down at about 40 degrees, maybe, it is hot on my upper body. I'll have to remember to ask the wife what the bill looks like. I don't think I'm close to my 2 hours per day average, so I'm guessing 15 bucks extra this month. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2023, 12:59:31 AM »
I'm late to the party 
I'm using 2 Chinese diesel heaters
One permanent mounted unit and a new style portable unit in a pelican style box.
These things are cheap to run and work great.
Start with a remote before heading out  
Nice dry heat
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline OH_Varmntr

• Share Post
« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2023, 07:16:41 AM »
New farm has a 28x40 shop that I put a ceiling in, blew in R60 cellulose, insulated the 10' overhead door and had 2" foam sprayed on the walls.  

I keep it at 50f with a 7500-watt King electric heater from Menards.  I really didn't want to go electric but I've been very happy with it.  Depending upon the outdoor temps and the wind intensity/direction it's around $50 a month to heat it that way.  The overhead door doesn't seal very well regardless of the new exterior and bottom seals it has.  It needs replaced but lead times on garage doors were crazy when I was doing the work last year.

If I'm out there and want it warmer I usually run my 40k-BTU propane heater and it warms it up to 60 in no time but I'm usually wearing overalls in the winter while out there so it's comfortable enough.

The shop had a masonry chimney that leaked badly when we moved here.  Torn it out and sold the woodburner.  Probably going to put in a thru-wall stainless chimney and bring the spare glass-front burner from the house out there for the longer shop days/nights.

Speaking of which .red dye .I've heard of tax people from say Ohio go around farm sales to check for red dye in the fill spouts .Obviously they must have found some . That stuff stays forever .

They dip tanks at farm shows too.  Rumor is running the off-road fuel through a filter of kitty litter strips the dye... :-X

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
My new shop heat

Started by jimdad07 on Firewood and Wood Heating

9 Replies
Last post February 18, 2017, 11:51:50 AM
by ljohnsaw
question
heat transfer ideas

Started by Quartlow on General Board

10 Replies
Last post November 08, 2005, 08:33:03 PM
by Quartlow
xx
finally have some heat in the shop (with pic's)

Started by blaze83 on General Board

9 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 09:21:20 PM
by ohsoloco
xx
How do I heat my shop without burning it down?

Started by brdmkr on General Board

14 Replies
Last post January 21, 2008, 05:58:01 AM
by rebocardo