iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 500I need help

Started by 421Altered, December 07, 2022, 03:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

421Altered

Ok guys I need help!  I have a nealy new, probably had it a year and it's just had about 6-8 tanks thru it.  Yesterday I used it to cut notch in a 26"dbh pine tree, it ran fine.  After cutting notch, and making a bore cut thru  apex of notch to rear, I let it idle about 2 minutes to let it cool off, then shut it down.  After a few minutes, I tried to crank it up to make felling cut, it would not start.  My gas was 89 octane ethanol free with Stihl full synthetic, mixed 50-1.  I know the gas was a little old, but, wondered if that was the problem.  So this morning bought fresh gas, 93 octane ethynol free with Stihl full synthetic mixed 50-1.  Get it home and after pouring out all old gas, put fresh gas in, prime it 10 pumps, still will not start.  So far I've pulled it about 30 times.  Also, I changed to spark plug after pouring out the old gas.  Gapped .020", same NGK number as OEM.  I've read these new computer Stihl's can be a bear to crank if you let them run out of gas, but, it didn't run out of gas.  So, what can I do to get this thing to run?  I checked air cleaner and it's fine.

beenthere

Wondering why you would let it idle for any length of time to let it "cool down" ? 

Possibly your problem, and don't know what to suggest. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nealm66

Check for spark? Maybe the on off switch?

Woodfarmer

I have two of them and havn't had any issues. I only cut in cold weather. I have let the saw idle for 30 seconds or so before shutting it down but that is after running it for a while not just doing a face and bore cut on a pine tree.

I have read that there have been a couple problems with the off switch, could be the issue. If not it's a trip to the dealer.
Let us know how you make out.

YellowHammer

I'll set mine down idling for minutes at a time to go get another log or whatever.  Idling hasn't hurt mine at all, it doesn't seem to care one way or the other.

I've had mine run out of fuel, trying to get the last log cut, refilled it, primed it and it started right up.

I can prime mine 10 times, 15 times, whatever, it also doesn't seem to care much about that either.  

The old gas could have clogged the injector, or the switch is messed up.  I would go to the basics, check spark and see if the plug is wet.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

421Altered

I worked on it some more this afternoon.  I checked with a spark tester, and it's not getting spark.  It's getting plenty of gas, because after 10 pulls, take spark plug out and gas runs out of the hole.  I turned it over and pulled starter rope and got all the gas out of chamber, then blew the chamber out with a light application of air compressor blow gun.  Put new, gapped plug in.  Same thing all over again.  I checked all the basics that I could, and after about 100 pulls, I gave up and carried it to the dealer.  Thanks to everyone that replied, and I'll certainly post on here what they find.

barbender

Hopefully just a bad switch. 

I just picked up a very lightly used ms500i today. I only fired it up enough to cut up a few sawmill slabs, it is a rappy thing. I got too good of a deal on it to pass it up, and figured I might just resell it but I think I already done went and got attached😁 Puppies and chainsaws, I can't seem to send any of them down the road😊
Too many irons in the fire

customsawyer

I have had mine not start twice after just running it. Took the plug out and put it back in and it fires up. I don't know if it's vapor locking or what.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

boonesyard

I haven't had any trouble with mine either. Starts, idles, cuts like its hair is on fire. Had a friend that had the same problem you're having, turned out to be faulty kill switch. He was told they had a bad batch at manufacturing, but the problem has been remedied. You'd think they'd do a recall, or should, for the bad batch. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Magicman

Yup, they are recalling them....one at the time.  :-X

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

My new toy. Looking at the B&C, I doubt it's had 3 tanks of gas through it.

LogDog55

If you've only had it a year it should still be under warranty. Check with your dealer. 

Diagnosing a MS/TS 500i is a whole different ball game. Stihl provides dealers with a scan tool and diagnostic software: without access to those there's not much you can do. There's a lot to go wrong on those saws electronically.

421Altered

I talked to my dealer's mechanic yesterday.  Everything checks out on their computer but the fuel injection system.  He said it would crank and idle, but when you went to full throttle with it, it wouldn't actually go to full throttle.  He described it as it would sound like it had a rpm limiter installed.  So, he said he's done all he can to it, and Stihl is sending someone with more experience with these saws to the dealership this Thursday.  I told him about the sometimes bad kill switch, but, he didn't seem to think that was the problem.  I'll keep everyone updated.  I purchased it 2-22-2022, so, it's still in warranty.

Southside

Hopefully they get it back to you quickly. I also hope I never have to go to a computer controlled saw. I can't stand my phone as it is.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

I was in the same boat as you SS, but now I have 3🤦‍♂️😊 None of them have gave me any problems yet, but when they do I will probably regret it😬

Walnut Beast

[size=]For you guys that have the 500 and 661 how big of a difference is there power wise between the two in real world use. Pretty noticeable or close[/size2]

YellowHammer

The 661 has just a tad more power, but not much.  The 500i is snappier, easier to start, lighter pull on the rope, runs cleaner, less smoke, is lighter, and easier on fuel so I can cut longer per tank.  I have both, they sit side by side on the floor and I haven't run the 661 in months.  I've never actually timed them side by side, but I would say it's about a dead heat, or real close.    

I'm making a video of me bucking hard as a rock, year old pecan, all of them 30 inches some 40 inches in diameter with a 28" light bar and the saw rips through them.  Full bar burying, no problem, chips flying.  All I have to do is reach over and pick up the 661, it's right there, but I just keep reaching for the 500i.

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Walnut Beast

Looking forward to the video as always! Thanks! that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I've bore cut some big walnut down with the husky 372 with a 28" just fine. I think I would be smiling with the 500 of the power weight combo! The supply chain seems to be better now. When I called a couple different places today they had the 500 and 661 in stock. Seems like it would be sensible Christmas present 🎁

421Altered

I got an update on my 500I problem today.  I called and talked to the Stihl mechanic.  He said the Stihl rep came and they went over it with a fine tooth comb.  The computer didn't show anything wrong with it.  But, they found that the fuel injector was leaking fuel, and that was causing the engine to lean out at high rpms.  So, he said that he had ordered an injector for it.  And all of it, labor and materials will be covered by the warranty.  So, that's really good news, since the injector alone is on the order of around $260.00.  I'll update again sometime next week when they get it fixed.

Tom King

Hope it didn't run lean for long.

Spike60

Sounds like you have a good, competent dealer to work with, and kudos to stihl for sending a tech instead of just a sales rep. This tecnology will continue to separate the serious shops from the "saws are over on the far wall" shops that don't put any energy into equipment that doesn't have tires on it. :)

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Woodfarmer

Wow, I'm getting my 3rd one tomorrow. Up here I think we only have a 30 day warranty but my local dealer said don't worry too much about that. I'm sure if it was something as big as that they'd come good for it.

I'm still keeping a few Jonsered's, you know, just in case of a total electronic malfunction. My 2152/59/65/71 ported saws, but probably selling the other stock 2156/71's. 

YellowHammer

BTW, our local John Deere tractor dealer says they are under contract with Stihl to be an authorized repair center with the computers and diagnostic tools.  We have zero chainsaw repair shops here, they all work at lawn mower repair shops and only repair on chainsaws as they come in, but one local one won't even repair one unless it was bought from them, but nobody does that because their rices are significantly higher than anyone else.  

Even the company who sold me the 500i didn't have a diagnostic computer, though it's Stihl's policy, supposedly, to force them to buy it.  That was the sticking point, this dealer said if they didn't want him to be a dealer anymore, and wouldn't "send him the computer for free" then they could stop sending him chainsaws to sell.  Never happened, he sells a lot of saws :D :D.  
YellowHammerisms:

beenthere

Similar to my Stihl dealer here. He has his own shop and is an expert at finding and fixing problems with saws. Something the new "dealers" are short of: experience, talent, and knowledge. 
But Stihl lets them share a computer, whereas he has to buy his own. 
Stihl is treating him like dirt, but so far he hangs in there, sells saws when he can get them, and charges little for his service. Like they are trying to drive him out of the chainsaw business. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

421Altered

I got my saw back from the dealer late last week.  No charges for labor or parts.  I talked to the mechanic that did the work. He said the fuel injector was bad, but, didn't know why.  The fuel system wouldn't pass the diagnostic test until he replaced the fuel injector.  He also replaced the fuel lines.  I asked if he removed the muffler and looked at piston and rings since it was leaning out.  He said he did and all was good.  I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but plan to later this week or next.  I'll let everyone know if they got it fixed or not.

Thank You Sponsors!