iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 439?

Started by John Mc, January 04, 2023, 01:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Neighbor lady is looking for a lighter weight limbing saw. (Her husband has a couple of larger saws for bigger work.) She's no wimp, and has some experience using a chainsaw, but just wants something lighter that she can use to help out cleaning up from storm damage, doing trail maintenance, or limbing logs which will eventually be cut up for firewood with a larger saw.

I don't own anything down in the size range she is looking at. Is the Husqvarna 439 worth considering? She's active and spends a fair amount of time in the woods, but does not really need a pro-level saw. She also does not want a "throw-away" saw.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Hilltop366

A few years ago I went looking for a small saw and ended up with a Makita 3601 that has been good to me but if I was not using it in a remote (no power) area I would also consider a cordless saw.

sawguy21

Makita is no longer available so that is out. Maybe @Spike60 can shed some light on the little Husky.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Spike60

439 was the rear handle version of the T435 Red Max sourced top handle saw. Nothing special about it, and I don't think they offer it anymore.

543XP is a hot little saw. Also Red Max based. Not cheap, but a sweet saw. Closest we'll ever get to the 242XP. :) 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Hilltop366

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 04, 2023, 04:35:12 PM
Makita is no longer available so that is out. Maybe @Spike60 can shed some light on the little Husky.
Gas saws are still shown on the USA Makita website so maybe but there is some fear of buying an orphan. Echo is another option but none of this answers the original question. :D

Spike60

No, actually it may do just that. Echo/Shindawia has some great small saws that might be just what would suit the gal in question.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

celliott

I was also gonna say, echo makes some quality smaller saws.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

John Mc

Not sure we have anyone that does service on Echo nearby, but I'll suggest she look at some of those. 

Any specific models she should be looking at?  She is definitely looking at UNDER 50cc. (She picked up my Jonsered 2152 and felt she would
Like to go smaller/lighter for this saw)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

DHansen

My wife and daughter use my 2511P Echo and find it easy to start and use. 25cc, about 6 lbs.  I also have a Husqvarna 339xp.  Husky is heavier.  Both are reliable and good for clean up and under 7" diameter stuff.  I like them both.  The echo is about 15 years newer.

Thank You Sponsors!