iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cannon Bars

Started by Walnut Beast, January 09, 2023, 09:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charles mann

Then i'm gonna say at the very least, my oregon and stihl could be solid. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Walnut Beast

Since 1955

Hand made and lifetime warranty! 

Mooseherder

Walnut Beast

Pretty interesting and labor intensive. Well I pulled the trigger and have one coming.
A 28" Duralite 

https://www.cannonbar.com/cannon-duralite-superbar/

Skeans1

Cannon makes great bars especially in the longer length 42" plus but is it worth 2x the price? I have a 28" Stihl light weight bar and was able to handle the 28 cannon light weight they felt about the same but price was a huge factor as well as getting blinded. 

That's a 60 superbar or fat belly bar that's where the money is worth it even on a 42 they have a belly. That said I have a cannon 32 super yes the rails are hard but no harder then an older Windsor bar they both are hard enough a file just skates right across.

barbender

I miss the Windsor bars.
Too many irons in the fire

moodnacreek

Quote from: barbender on January 11, 2023, 11:57:37 AM
I miss the Windsor bars.
The bar that came on the processor was a Windsor. People came to see it work and Herb would pull the wrong lever like we all do on a new [to us] machine and bend the bar. I don't remember how many times that bar went to the anvil. It lasted for several seasons. Next came GB bars, like the Sthill bars of that era; worthless. Soft bars wear right out and hard bars chip the rails. They have to be right to last.

Walnut Beast

The 28" Duralite bar was 262 and I couldn't find a Stihl 28" and the ones on EBay are selling for 185 

Greenhighlander

I just want to add that I have yet to even think of dressing the bar and it is actually made in Canada. I am not a man of money but I will always pay more for quality , especially if it is actually made in my country.   
With a lot of things in life you get what you pay for , and canon bars are one of those things.  

barbender

My username came from an incident I had with a shiny new 24" Windsor bar I had mail ordered from Bailey's because the longest I could find locally was a 20". It involved a hung tree and power equipment😁

Then it was off to the vise, I got it beat back straight and it was none the worse for wear other than some hammer marks. Now, last spring I had a saw fall out of the mount in the back of my skid steer and I ran it over🤦‍♂️ Yep, it was wearing that same 24" Windsor. It has a nice long "smile" curve to it, I intend to bring it back to life again when I get time😊

moodnacreek

Quote from: barbender on January 11, 2023, 04:22:35 PM
My username came from an incident I had with a shiny new 24" Windsor bar I had mail ordered from Bailey's because the longest I could find locally was a 20". It involved a hung tree and power equipment😁

Then it was off to the vise, I got it beat back straight and it was none the worse for wear other than some hammer marks. Now, last spring I had a saw fall out of the mount in the back of my skid steer and I ran it over🤦‍♂️ Yep, it was wearing that same 24" Windsor. It has a nice long "smile" curve to it, I intend to bring it back to life again when I get time😊
I always thought you might of worked in a steel shop until lunch time when i read your post and thought maybe it was a chainsaw incident, funny you mention it.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Greenhighlander on January 11, 2023, 02:51:09 PM
I just want to add that I have yet to even think of dressing the bar and it is actually made in Canada. I am not a man of money but I will always pay more for quality , especially if it is actually made in my country.  
With a lot of things in life you get what you pay for , and canon bars are one of those things.  
You got that right!! Skeans1 nice picture! I agree the bigger bars Cannon has there is incredible separation from anybody else

barbender

Moodna, even if that one incident didn't earn me the name Barbender, a few years back I spent a winter in a Ponsse processor. I thought I was doing pretty good, never bent a bar. Then I got moved to a sale with clump hardwoods and the education began😂 I had the back of my pickup full of dead soldiers😊

Walnut Beast

In my conversation with Bill the owner of Cannon he pointed out the main difference between the Superbar and the Duralite is if you did something crazy and really bent the bar pretty bad that the regular one you could straighten out but probably not the Duralite 

Walnut Beast

Looking forward to putting this Duralite on the 500

DHansen

Very nice! Looks great. Best of all, hand made in Canada.

Seachaser

Walnut Beast

Greenhighlander

Quote from: Walnut Beast on February 01, 2023, 07:48:50 AM
28"
Nice .  Mine is just a 24" normal super bar.   
Please keep us updated on how it works for ya. As I have said , I could not be happier with mine. 

newoodguy78

Has anyone used the cannon carving bars? Looking for some real world experience.  I've got a couple projects coming up that a carving bar will be very helpful on my little 346. 
Looked at Baileys selection and it seemed to be pretty good. Not afraid to spend the money if they'll last. 

Greenhighlander

Quote from: newoodguy78 on February 02, 2023, 08:53:52 AM
Has anyone used the cannon carving bars? Looking for some real world experience.  I've got a couple projects coming up that a carving bar will be very helpful on my little 346.
Looked at Baileys selection and it seemed to be pretty good. Not afraid to spend the money if they'll last.
If their carving bars are anything like their regular bars , them lasting isn't even a question. I am currently on my 4th ripping chain and haven't even thought of dressing the bar yet. She is as solid as it gets. 

newoodguy78

Good to know. Thank you 

Walnut Beast

Don't hesitate to give Bill a call at company headquarters. He would be very helpful with any questions and what bar would be the best fit for you

customsawyer

I wonder if they would make one for my Lucas dedicated slabber.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Walnut Beast

I sent a email to Bill about the slabber bar and carving bar for you guys. I'll let you know when I hear back. 

Thank You Sponsors!