iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spur drive to Rim Drive Conversion

Started by 5ubtle, January 15, 2023, 05:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5ubtle

I have a Poulan 2150 that I'd like to convert from "spur drive sprocket" to "rim drive sprocket".  My Poulan uses a (530047061) 6 tooth, spur drive sprocket and 3/8 x .050 picco (low profile) chain from the factory.

I have come to believe that the clutch drum assembly from a Husqvara 36 is interchangeable with my Poulan.  The Husky 36 came with a (530069315 superseded by 530047061) 6 tooth, spur drive sprocket for 3/8" x .050 picco chain.  I believe this part would be identical to my Poulan's drum/sprocket assembly (they have the same part number).  The Husky 36 also could be specified with a 7 tooth, rim drive sprocket for .325 chain (501457402).  The rim sprocket and clutch drum combination is Husky 530069316.

I wonder if I could use this Husky rim drive clutch drum assembly on my saw with a 3/8 rim drive sprocket?

Bailey's catalog indicates that the Husky (501457402) 7 tooth, .325 rim drive sprocket uses a 3/4" (SM7) spline.  They also sell a 7 tooth, 3/8 rim drive sprocket using 3/4" (SM7) spline (640200036).  Maybe this could work for me?

Ideally, I would like a 6 tooth 3/8" rim drive sprocket, since my original spur drive sprocket was 6 tooth.  I think that a 7 tooth sprocket might be "too much" for my little saw.  I haven't yet found that 6 tooth, 3/8" rim drive sprocket.

Do my thoughts seem reasonable?  Maybe I'm missing something?

joe_indi

Edited
More than two decades ago i heard that the Stihl 023 was a Poulan designed saw. It has a stock spur but a rim sprocket kit is available as an option. This kit even fits the smaller 017/018/MS 170 and MS 180. Chances are it might be just what you need have a look.
This is a screenshot of the item from my post on a Stihl parts site on facebook
Joe

bigblockyeti

It sounds like it should work, my concern would be if something didn't fit just right, would you be able to return it or would you be comfortable eating the cost if it didn't?  Sticking with a 6 pin drive would probably be wise as you'll have 6/7 the torque you had before but 7/6 the chain speed.  It could be great in small limbs with a sharp chain or a total dog in larger, dry hardwood when the chain is starting to dull.

joe_indi

:D No, you dont need to buy one to check if it would fit! Just get hold of a regular spur drum from a friend or a discarded piece from a repair shop. All you need to know is whether the center fits and whether the height is acceptable. Next is to see how the drive for the oil pump works, if its the type without an oil pump, thats half your worries gone. If the regular spur drum fits, the rim sprocket kit will fit

ladylake

You dont want to put a 3/7 7 tooth on a small saw.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

5ubtle

Thank you for all of the responses, fellas.  I think that I'm going to stay with the spur drive for now.  If I can find the 6 tooth rim sprocket, I'll give it a try.

Thank You Sponsors!