iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Allowable tooth length differential

Started by rasawing, January 16, 2023, 04:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasawing

A rule we have all heard is to (when sharpening your chainsaw chain) make sure the teeth wind up being the same length (and therefore height). But what kind of tolerance is there for that? In other words (and I am just making up numbers here) if one tooth is 6 mm long, the next is 7, then 6, then 8, then 6 again, etc, etc......is that kind of variation ok?

I've never heard a number on this....but I'd like one. A lot of people just go by how it cuts....but getting it right before then would be great. Thanks.

barbender

On my bars out to 24", I don't think it matters that much. I'm not taking a new chain back to 2mm, just because I hit a rock and banged up 4 teeth. They can vary some, it's more an issue that the teeth don't vary a lot from one side to the other. 
Too many irons in the fire

blackhawk

When I use my Oregon grinder, I try to keep the length of my right and left teeth within .010" (.25mm) of one another.  I've probably had them vary by as much as .015" and I couldn't tell a difference.  That's the worst that I have let them get so the real tolerance could be even more.
Lucas 7-23 with slabber. Nyle L53 kiln. Shopbot CNC 48x96

doc henderson

I think you are talking about performance.  a longer tooth is also taller.  so a few teeth that are ground back due to damage, will not be doing as much cutting.  If all on one side it may curve in the cut.  I save the crappy worn out chains for when I am doing something I know may damage a chain.  I have a bunch that hang on a nail and tend to use the ones with 3 or 4 sharpening's on them.  remember to just bump and touch the sharp edge of the tooth several times if using a grinder, and do not full on grind till the metal is blue.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

ButchC

Obviously the very best performance will come from exactly equal size cutters and depth guages. However in all my years of handle time Ive never been able to discern a 100% chain from a 95% one out in the field cutting. I have run chains that didnt need anything but an eyeball to see that the cutters were not all the same length and I'll be hanged if I could tell them from a new one as long as they were sharp. While Im not advocating sloppy sharpening. I think waaaay too much has been made over tooth lengths on cyber saw forums. I guess what I am saying is eye ball your cutters, if one side or one cutter appears short or long then very the file strokes to suit, other than that concentrate on angles, proper file technique, and timely touch ups rather than tooth length science and you will see more benefit out in the field than measuring teeth with a micrometer.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Al_Smith

In a perfect world it would be best if all cutters  were the same length .We don't live in a perfect world though .Cutters get broken,bent and missing .It will still cut but not as fast or smoothly .If it gets on your nerves hang it on a nail and use it as a root cutter .

Real1shepherd

Progressive raker gauge and you're done with the bother. Lots of vids out there on it, including a good one with Buckin' Billy. There's a lot about Buckin' I don't agree with....not a fanboy, but the dude knows how to sharpen a chain.

Kevin

C4treefarmer

The idea of filing each tooth the same is to prevent it from cutting "crooked". The problem is the logic behind it isn't addressing the real issue of raker height. Use a raker gauge and forget about the tooth size. 

There is a channel on YouTube called "buckinbillyraysmith" he explains saw sharpening perfectly and to a science, if there is one! 

Real1shepherd

I guess you ignored my post or have me blocked..... 8)

Kevin

rasawing

C4treefarmer

Quote from: Real1shepherd on January 17, 2023, 03:34:07 PM
I guess you ignored my post or have me blocked..... 8)

Kevin
New to the Forum and never seen your post. Ironically posted the same thing. 
-Regards

Thank You Sponsors!