iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new saw

Started by rooster 58, January 16, 2023, 10:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

So last week I was able to pick up a new Stihl 500I for 1329.00. Sweet deal!

doc henderson

I just saw my dealer and his family at the ED.  Had not been in a while as I sharpen my own stuff the last 5 years.  he said he would make me a deal on one.  they always threw in a few extra chains ect.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rooster 58

I couldn't wrangle any chains or anything. But I got a 3 yr warranty for 39.00 that includes a yearly inspection and cleaning, new sprocket, air filter, and spark plug,  and a new chain if needed.  Plus if I damage the saw for anything, it will be replaced with a new saw

Walnut Beast

What was the reason you got it so cheap? 

rooster 58

Walnut Beast,
     That's an every day price from a Rural King store in Parkersburg, WV.  That was with a 25" regular bar

rooster 58

The 661C beside it was 1409.00

Walnut Beast

Wow! Great deal! In these parts the ones that had the 500 were 1,539 with a 28" bar and chain. 1,449 would be a good deal  but I think I would be hard pressed to find one for the price you did. The farm stores around here don't sell the pro grade. I've heard there isn't much room for the dealers on the saws but some really big dealers I'm sure they have more room to work the price

Walnut Beast

I'm surprised dealers around there don't raise a little heck with Stihl

Walnut Beast

A good excuse to go back and buy the 661 now 😂😂

B.C.C. Lapp

I'd take that 661c for $1400 right now.  Thats a deal.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

gspren

At a Christmas party my 30 year old nephew told me he just got a 500 so next time we have a firewood detail at the hunting camp I'll try to check it out, although mostly by watching him.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

rooster 58

Yeah, they told me they making 35.00 on the saw. Right now I don't have a need for the 661. I'm mostly a sawmill, so I think I've got enough  saws right now. And I could use a decent log splitter  :)

Seachaser

My Stihl dealer was formally a Husky shop and switched over about a year ago. He said he doesn't have room to negotiate like he used to. 

rooster 58

Wow!!!!
       I had business in Parkersburg today, so I swung by Rural King.  Stopped by the chain saws for some files and was shocked to seethe 500i is now going for 1569.00! And the 661 is 1559.00. They jumped in price not two weeks after I bought my saw, according to the main Stihl Tech. Once in awhile,  I get lucky ;D

Walnut Beast

That price was hard to believe! That was a smokin deal. I bet Stihl caught wind of that and shut corporate down on pricing.I bet smaller dealers were furious about it 

rooster 58

He said they raised prices across the board, except a couple small saws. I'll have to see if the local shop raised their prices 

Walnut Beast

I wonder if they did! 

teakwood

Bargemonkey sent me a 500i form NY and i love this saw, what a beast.

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Walnut Beast

Three eye candies! The saw, bar and tree!

doc henderson

Teak what is the leafy greenery around the tree?  looks like our poison ivy.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

teakwood

It's called chaperno, it's not poisonous or has thorns or ants :D. This one is harmless,  it just never stops growing,  even in dry season. You can grab it when it's step and pull yourself up. It's strong
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

dad

Quote from: rooster 58 on January 16, 2023, 10:11:41 AM
So last week I was able to pick up a new Stihl 500I for 1329.00. Sweet deal!
WOW! That is incredible! What a terrific deal. Congratulations on that buy! 
Around here the 500i is $1520 and up depending on where you buy it.
I just bought an MS462 non m-tronic this weekend for $1299.99
 I am very happy to have found it. 
The M tronic 462 saws are from a best of $1249.99 up to $1350+ range. 
I am no saw tuner, but once I heard it was something I could have my son or whomever work on, I figured I had to have it since I'm assuming that m-tronic's have to be dealer serviced for something that a self calibration can't take care of?
Anyway, thanks for sharing your great buy! It is nice to hear it with inflation killing us all it seems.

doc henderson

Yes, my dealer who always tries to work with me, cannot touch that price.  I told him he should complain to his rep.  usually, the price is set by Stihl.  on the 500i it would be a hundred bucks more.

Walnut Beast

He did get it for that price but when he went back in there and the smokin prices were bye bye. Dealers probably caught wind and raised some heck with Stihl 

dad

Quote from: doc henderson on February 21, 2023, 10:37:59 AM
Yes, my dealer who always tries to work with me, cannot touch that price.  I told him he should complain to his rep.  usually, the price is set by Stihl.  on the 500i it would be a hundred bucks more.
Hi Doc, Why would you have your dealer complain about another dealer giving this person an incredible price? That just keeps prices high for everyone I would think. If dealers are telling the truth ( and they probably are ), than this dealer either has had these for a while ( I cannot remember if the OP said if they were newly stocked or not ) or they lost money on the prices to get business in other ways or to build relationships with people in hopes they would be loyal going forward. I honestly think it is a great thing. One hand washes the other if you know what I mean. Can you give your opinion so I can understand where you are coming from? Maybe it's a better reason than what I have for supporting it. I just cannot see a downside "yet", unless two dealers are local with one trying to push the other one out of business by undercutting prices. Oh, darn it..... Was this a bigger box store chain? I'll have to go back and read the posts again. If so, I am still happy about the OP getting a great deal, but I think it would fall into the category of pushing smaller shops out.          

Thank You Sponsors!