iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

572XP AutoTune

Started by will49766, January 23, 2023, 06:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

will49766

Hello everyone,

I bought a new Husky 572XP last February from a local dealer by me.  I have been using it every other week for cutting firewood, even throughout the summer.  Haven't had an issue with it until now other than it really never seemed to have the power I was expecting.   When I purchased it I mixed up a 5 gallon can of rec fuel with the husky oil they recommended.  I have not gone through that initial five gallon can yet.  This last weekend it started acting up, bogging down upon applying full power.  It runs great at idle.   To get through one cut I was having the constantly idle down and then go back to full throttle...   I dropped it off at the dealer today so they could diagnose the issue since it is still under warranty.  The technician initially though it would be a quick fix so he grabbed his screwdriver to adjust the carb.  Once it was running I informed him that it has AutoTune.  His attitude changed very quickly saying that he wasn't a fan of AutoTune.  He shut the saw down at that point and said he would need to hook it up to the computer to diagnose the issue.  He did verify my complaint.   To me, it sounds like the saw just isn't getting fuel at full throttle, but he stated that it probably was just never tuned correctly.  I would normally diagnose this type of problem myself, but being that this is still under warranty I figured it was best to have them deal with it.

Has anyone else had an issue with AutoTune?  I really like this saw.   Could this type of problem be induced by AutoTune?
Will Houghmaster

Old Greenhorn

The tech grabbed a screwdriver to adjust the carb? At the dealer? You needed to tell him it was autotune?
 Standby, I think @spike60 will check in before too long and there is no sense me even opening my mouth any longer. :)
popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

will49766

I tell you no fibs!  Of course I am new to AutoTune myself... but it made me wonder if it was a good decision to leave it with them.  lol :D  From the little I have learned off of YouTube today, it sounds like it should have been tuned before I picked it up new.   I know that wasn't done.
Will Houghmaster

Big_eddy

I'm guessing your saw will idle all day long, but when you go to cut, it will rev up then die out as soon as there is load. Hold the throttle all the way open and it could even stall. Feels like the saw is out of gas, but the tank is full.

I'll bet your fuel has gone bad. It's likely starting to separate. There is a tiny screen in the carb which is starting to get plugged. At low throttle enough fuel gets through, but at full throttle no.

Remove the air box and carb, flip it over, remove the horns on bottom, then remove the bottom plate and diaphragm. You'll see the screen. Clean with the carb cleaner of your choice, or compressed air and reassemble.

Saw may need to relearn it's tune as it's been trying to richen up the mix. A few logs and all should be fine.

Oh - and dump that year old gas.
Photo below one of two saws that both started misbehaving identically after being filled from the same tank of 3 month old fuel (non-E, properly mixed stored in a sealed container)

will49766

Thanks for the input!   It's acting exactly as you described...  So I take it even rec fuel has a limited life span.  I am letting the dealer fix it at this point but they stated there would be a nominal charge if it's fuel related, which is fine by me.   It made be a little leery of AutoTune after his comments.  It could be just inexperience.  I will dump the old fuel for sure and not mix as much this time.  
Will Houghmaster

ehp

Ya , thats a long time for fuel to be around , I hate fuel being around for a month . I mix 2 1/2 gallons at a time and that should do me a day or maybe 2 so my fuel is always fresh 

Old Greenhorn

I have to ask, because I don't know, what is "rec fuel"?
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

will49766

According to a quick internet search...   "REC-90 is an ethanol-free, 90 octane unleaded gasoline blend designed for use in recreational/marine engines which can be damaged by the ethanol found in other gasoline blends". 
Will Houghmaster

Spike60

What the heck is "rec" fuel?   :)

No reason to be leery of autotune, but I'd sure be leery of letting that guy work on my saw. Not knowing that the 572 is AT, is kind of on the pathetic side. Of course he's not a fan of autotune. He's afraid of it. 

I think Eddy is on the right tract here. Never a good idea to mix a years worth of fuel at one time. My freaking brother does that. So if it sounds like I'm busting your b's a little, well I am. His name is also Will BTW.  :laugh:

Has anyone dumped the fuel and had a look at it yet? Or tried it with some fresh fuel? That should always be step #1. What is the saw trying to run on? If found to be suspect, the nice thing about any saw with a primer is that it's easy to purge the fuel line and carb. 

Don't know how much of that old fuel is still around, but bad fuel cannot be fixed by adding fresh fuel. Analogy I've always used is you can't add fresh milk to spoiled milk and expect to drink it.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Spike60

Another quick thought is how does that primer feel? If it's slow to pop back out, or doesn't come out at all, then there's a blockage in there. In addition to the screen in eddy's pic, you'll need to pull the AT module and clean those ports as well.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

beenthere

QuoteThe technician initially though it would be a quick fix so he grabbed his screwdriver to adjust the carb.

That right there is a game changer for me. He didn't know right off that it was autotune?  Others have sorted the likely problem out well.

If there is a spark arrestor in the muffler, pull it and clean it well (blow torch).

Let's hope this tech isn't the one working on your saw.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Big_eddy

Quote from: Spike60 on January 23, 2023, 07:50:00 PM

Don't know how much of that old fuel is still around, but bad fuel cannot be fixed by adding fresh fuel. Analogy I've always used is you can't add fresh milk to spoiled milk and expect to drink it.
And a plugged carb screen won't clean itself, even if the old fuel is discarded and the tank filled with new fuel.  
Personally, I love auto tune. Hot, cold, high elev, sea level, clean filter or not, it just adjusts and runs strong from the first cut of the day to the last.

will49766

Spike60 Thanks for your reply.  I probably deserve the criticism.  LOL  I will take a look at the fuel when I dump it.  I'm sure now that the fuel is the cause of my issue.  Should I not be using Rec-90?  Does the oil go bad like the fuel does?  I bought two husky brand two-cycle oil containers when I purchased the saw last year.  One container mixes to make 5 gallons.  Will that oil be bad at this point as well?

Another question.  When I purchased this saw, the dealer did not inform me that i needed to purchase the Husky pre-mixed fuel to get an extended warranty.  I found out afterwards...  How much of a warranty did I miss out on by this?

Sounds like I might need to find a better dealer.

Primer bulb is good.  Primes like new.  Also, I did check the spark arrester.  It's clean.  Started the saw real quick to try it without it and had same issue.  Reinstalled the spark arrester.
Will Houghmaster

Larry

Quote from: will49766 on January 23, 2023, 06:22:40 PM
Haven't had an issue with it until now other than it really never seemed to have the power I was expecting.
My 572 is about 4 months old now.  Has a lot more power than my old 272 it replaced.  It has been running perfect but the operator is a little slow at times. :D

I only mix a gallon at a time just to insure my fuel is always fresh.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Spike60

The problem with running a chainsaw on marine fuel is that it will not atomiz properly unless you are cutting within a 1/2 mile of a body of water large enough to accommodate motor boats.

That's no dumber than trying to adjust a 572 with a screw driver. ;)

That rec fuel is fine, and so is the oil. The culprit here is how old it is. And also, where it is stored could be a contributing factor. Big temp swings, for instance in a shed that could be cold in the morning and then go past 90 degrees when hit by the sun can cause condensation on the inside of a fuel can. And metal cans are much worse than plastic in such an environment. 

Just throwing ideas at the wall here. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

will49766

Got it!   ;D :D  :embarassed:  I will let you guys know how I make out when I get it back.  
Will Houghmaster

Woodfarmer

You don't need to mix the whole 5 gallons at once. Sounds like for the amount of cutting you do only mix a gallon at a time which would use 1/5th of the oil.

Old Greenhorn

See, I asked and I learned something! Never heard that term before.
 I get 90 octane ethanol free, but I always put stabil in it. I only mix a gallon at a time, sometimes I will do 2 (1)gallon jugs. But I like cycling it through quickly.  I never had any hang around for very long, I would expect problems after several months though.

Tell us something else: Is this 'dealer' a saw shop? I am guessing not and that they sell a lot of lawn equipment, blowers, maybe even larger stuff like tractors, etc. and probably carry several lines of gear. How close did I come?

barbender

Yeah don't mix a years worth of fuel at once. If you didn't get that point already😊

I'm glad that the saw is AT, just so that tech didn't get to turn screws and mess something up worse. 
Too many irons in the fire

donbj

Ya me too! Don't mix a years worth of fuel😂. 
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

will49766

Yes, I learned something as well Greenhorn!  I really appreciate the input.  

Yes, you are correct.  This shop sells everything you mentioned.  The salesman was in the process of selling a couple snowmobile suits when I was there.  He acted irritated when I interrupted asking about chainsaws.  I am not positive but I think the repair guy was his brother.

I will look for a Husky saw shop near me to deal with instead.  Lesson learned.

Thanks again!
Will Houghmaster

will49766

Oh, and yes, I will stick to mixing way less fuel at one.  I initially did this to make it easier to measure the mixture not realizing that rec fuel doesn't last long.
Will Houghmaster

Spike60

Saw is not in good hands there.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Spike60

The old saying about only being able to serve so many masters applies to the OPE biz as well. Mixing OPE with rec equipment is a perfect example. And the "we sell everything" aproach pretty much ensures that some of those things aren't going to be done very well. Doesn't sound like these guys are good on saws.

Another local dealer/friend who sells Toro, told me to feel free to send our Exmark customers his way when we close because "we take in everything". To which I answered: that's why your turnaround time is measured in weeks, if not months.

I get it that some shop owners can't comprehend turning away a potential sale/dollar. But every shop has a capacity that is a reality that should be recognized. Ignoring that isn't good for the business or the customers.  :)

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Old Greenhorn

It wasn't very hard to figure out your dealer, even from way over here. ;D 
Well I don't know where on the globe you are but best of luck finding a servicing dealer with a real tech. Either way, don't trust the guys you bought it from with anything more complicated than a snowmobile suit.
 I mix Stabil in all the fuel I buy for my small engines, I think it helps, a lot of folks don't. All I know is, in the years I have been doing that I have zero carb issues with anything. I mix my saw gas in 1 gallon increments, which for me can either be a day or a weeks worth, sometimes a bit more. Saws get used in rotation, more or less, but that stabil is in there because there is always some fuel sitting in the tank and I don't want that to turn on me too soon.
 Good luck with your fix, and finding a real tech. Let us know how it works out.

Thank You Sponsors!