iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skider sled??????

Started by shinnlinger, February 18, 2012, 08:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,
Been skidding logs on and off this winter with my tractor and p plan to tomorrow but thinking my skid road and driveway might not be up to it as the temps climb.  My arch is still a dream at this point so thinking of trying to cut to simulair lengths and dragging the tail of the hitch onto an old car hood or something and fastening it with chains some how.

Has to be quick and easy as tomorrows the day but what would you folks do???
Thanks
Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

thecfarm

Might work in the woods,but if you have a gravel driveway it will dig up every rock in the gravel. I have no idea how many logs you are trying to bring out or what I mean to say is how many do you need. I've carried logs out close to the sawmill with my bucket. very slow,but keeps them clean.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shinnlinger

Good point.  I will see how it goes but if I get them out of the Woods and into the field across the road at least it will be something and I can haul them up to the back field once Iswap the snowplow for forks
Thinking long term I have seen little dolly stingers that work with arches on long logs but wonder how they are installed /attached
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

rogdan

I thought about trying this guys idea (https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,55932.0.html) but simplifing it by using a couple of small locust trees as skids.

reride82

I use a piece of 1/4" plate 24"x36" that has a bend halfway to act as a sled. I have two holes at the back of the sled to attach a ratchet strap to and around the log(s) to hold them to the sled. I also have a jagged piece of metal welded to the sled that grabs ahold of the bottom of the logs mounted to the top/back of the sled. Then I have a chain hooked to both front corners of the sled that gets hooked to either a four wheeler in the summer or a snowmobile in the winter. I pulled a 16" dia. 32 foot long lodgepole pine out with it last week with my 700 arctic cat snowmobile  ;) It was a little hard to get started but it worked very well untill I tried to climb onto the back of the beavertail gooseneck trailer. Things got a little western at that point  :o
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Thank You Sponsors!