iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

to clean or not clean air filter

Started by kelLOGg, November 30, 2009, 04:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I've read warnings that sawdust should not be blown from an air filter for fear of tearing it. Do you millers attempt to clean an air filter in any way or just replace it? I direct a gentle air stream over the filter but I am always uneasy doing so.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Larry

I blow it out with the leaf blower.  Before I had electricity at the mill I took the filter to the shop and blew it out with compressed air...easy does it and I've never had a problem.  Blow out the filters on the tractor and truck also, but still change at regular intervals.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

moonhill

I just bought a new one today, I knocked the dust out of it a few months ago and lightly puffed some compressed air around it.    5 oil filters and oil, too.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

John Bartley

I run a Kohler Command 25 on my mill. It has a regular duty round, pleated paper air filter (not the cyclone) and I clean it by blowing it with compressed air from the inside out - won't hurt them at all. I've been doing it for 30 years on both my own stuff and customer stuff also.

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

kelLOGg

OK! the score is 3 to 0 in favor of cleaning - I will continue what I have been doing w/o fear of compromising the engine.
Thanks,
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

sdunston

4 and 0, compressed air is almost free :D. Just serviced my tractor tonight and removed the air filter and blew it out along with the radiator fins. Good question would be if K&N makes reuseable air filters for small V-Twins ???
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

chevytaHOE5674

I use compressed air on all my engines. Just hold the nozzle a distance away, and don't hold it in one spot for too long. 

rickywashere

Quote from: sdunston on November 30, 2009, 08:03:54 PM
4 and 0, compressed air is almost free :D. Just serviced my tractor tonight and removed the air filter and blew it out along with the radiator fins. Good question would be if K&N makes reuseable air filters for small V-Twins ???
Sam

i'm sure if you had a part# you could cross reference a match to fit on there site

Magicman

I knock it around to loosen the dust and then turn the leaf blower on the inside and blow the dust out.  Yes, I've used compressed air, but I really like the leaf blower.  It also does a good job of cleaning the mill.

question would be if K&N makes reuseable air filters for small V-Twins ???
Sam

I would not use a K&N filter.  The oil would attract the sawdust, and I suspect that it would clog quickly.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sdunston

Quote from: Magicman on November 30, 2009, 08:14:59 PM
I knock it around to loosen the dust and then turn the leaf blower on the inside and blow the dust out.  Yes, I've used compressed air, but I really like the leaf blower.  It also does a good job of cleaning the mill.

question would be if K&N makes reuseable air filters for small V-Twins ???
Sam

I would not use a K&N filter.  The oil would attract the sawdust, and I suspect that it would clog quickly.

Good point but they use them in dirt track racing an that is real fine silt, but maybe they need the oil to keep all that out?
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Magicman

If it's dry, I can knock/blow it out.  Even the vibration of sawing shakes some loose.  Sawdust dribbles out of the "weep" hole in the bottom.  With an "oiled" filter, it ain't coming loose, and especially those diesel filters aren't cheap.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ScottAR

I wouldn't use a K&N on anything I cared about...
They flow more air because they filter less dirt.  end of story.

I blow off air filters with compressed air with low pressure. 

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Chico

K &N makes some of the best filters there are imo  and they clean quite easily you can use them dry only the outerwear (foam ) use oil I've run one on my racecar for 20 yrs It's like anything else a lot of times people don't make sure they fit correctly and aren't sealed that's where the prob comes in sawdust is much coarser than the dry dust off a dirt track but like I said JMO
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

bandmiller2

In any of the mechanical trades there are procedures and shortcuts that work fine if done with safety and skill,those are the very ones the directions warn you about because some clutz has screwed up.If I have a task to perform I always glance at the warnings they are usally the quickest most efficient way to do it if done with good judgement, sad but true.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

Im one for blowing it out but after the first go i pour abit of petrol on it from the inside out then blow it out again then let it dry and wack it back on the mill same goes for the foam filter on the outside i find it gets most of the finer particals out just like when you do your chainsaw filter it mightnt be everyones cup of tea but it works for me and has for years  ;) ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

ksu_chainsaw

I always use compressed air to clean out air filters.  I have a small regulator attached to one of my blowguns to regulate the pressure down to 40PSI.  This helps to ensure that you dont blow holes in the filter.  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90590

When I am out cutting firewood or cleaning out fence rows, in the chainsaw box I now carry one of the CO2 regulators with a 20oz canister attached.  http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=82384-61735-J-6901-101&detail=desc&lpage=none   This allows me to clean the air filters on the saw when I refuel and to clean around the filler caps to keep the sawdust out of the oil and fuel tanks. 

Charles

backwoods sawyer

As with anything, air filters have a limited life, I use the compressed air to extend its life by keeping it clean so that it can do its job. A dirty air filter is restricting air flow, which will change your air fuel mixture slightly. When I notice the paper of the filter starting to rough up with the air nozzle then it is time to replace it, after all I do want the air filter to do its job.
As for the K&N filters, I have not been impressed with them. I ran a double filter set up with the paper filter as the secondary filter and it was catching all the dust, the K&N was still nice and clean. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chuck White

Usually when we break for lunch, I'll remove the breather cover and blow that whole area out with the leaf blower!
After that's cleaned out, I'll remove the air filter and the foam pre-filter and blow them out too!
Depending on the way the fine sawdust flows (prevailing winds), I may do it again at the end of the day!
After about four to five cleanings, I'll wash the pre-filter with the "soap & water"  blade lube, wring it out and replace the paper filter!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

Clean em when they need it.
Might be every day or weekly.
Whatever method u use do It!
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

paul case

my sawmill is equiped with  a honda 20 hp and it has a flat filter. i've never had to do more than tap it on th mill upside down a few times and replace it every 50 hours or so. i use compressed air in my truck ,chainsaw, and tractor filters with no problems.my mill may not get as much dust as some because i run a 36'' fan at my back that keeps the dust going away from me when i'm sawing.may be hard for a portable miller to use but it really helps on my stationary setup   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Quote from: paul case on December 01, 2009, 07:09:40 PM
i run a 36'' fan at my back that keeps the dust going away from me when i'm sawing.may be hard for a portable miller to use but it really helps on my stationary setup   pc

I've had  "headwinds" that actually made me stop sawing.  I try to always set up with my back to the Southwest.  But sometimes the wind will still fool me.  With a strong "headwind", it not only blows sawdust to the air filter, but the engine radiator also catches full.  It'll cause me to run hot if I'm not looking and knock it off of the radiator.   I've even tried to use a generator and fan at my back, but sometimes the wind is stronger than the fan.

I'm using an air conditioner filter across the radiator to keep the sawdust out of the fins.

edwardj_

I am a small engine mechanic and blowing out filters with compressed air is ok if you dont hold it close to the gun.  As for K&N...   If you oil them as you are supposed to they catch all the dirt they need to.  I see guys that dont oil them or install them right have issues.  if sealed up as they are designed to be they work great.  I am too cheap to run them on my bikes..  but my truck has one in it and has no issues.

Thank You Sponsors!