iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bow Blades

Started by dnalley, November 20, 2006, 09:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnalley

Hi folks,  I'm new to the forum so I guess I'll start out by asking a "stupid" question, but nevertheless, I'd still like to know.  Does anyone make and sell a bow blade saw anymore?  I talked to a local dealer last Saturday who told me that the last one he ordered was 3 or 4 years ago, and he said it's never showed up.  Said he recons I can't buy one.  I realize the danger of using one (got a 5 inch scar to prove it) but I'd rather use one than a straight blade.  After all, if you're careless with a saw (as I know I was), meat and bone are no match for a chain, be it straight or a bow blade.  Or is this just another instance of "big brother" looking out for my best interest?  Thanks for the opportunity to ask, dnalley.

sawguy21

I sell chainsaws and have not seen a bowsaw for over 20 years. Believe it or not, it was a new Poulan.  ;D They seemed to be popular in certain areas for firewood cutting but never really caught on. Probably illegal to sell now.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

They can still be purchased in certain areas, though insurance companies have made it difficult on loggers to use them.

Check our sponsor, Bailey's,  they have them in their catalogue under chainsaw bars.

Here is the link to the page: Chainsaw bars a bows

rebocardo

I think it has more to do with modern technology and the harvesters that cut trees into multiple correct length logs without anyone touching it with a manual chainsaw.

Tom

The loggers love the technology and the insurance company's hate the chainsaws.  If you own a logging crew and put chainsaws in the woods around here, your rates go up.  If you use "certain" equipment on your saws, you won't be able to get insurance.   The liability issue has even reached as far back as the saw shop.  Some will sell you a bow but won't install it.  It's stupid but a reality.

dnalley

Thanks for the heads-up about Bailey"s and sorry for the delay about getting back to ya'll.  dnalley

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum dnalley.Go up to search on top of the page and put in bow saws.Will bring up a few posts on them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Michael

I have a few bows and would be happy to get rid of them. Email me.  Mike
If you need saws or parts I may be able to help.

Steven A.

I've never seen one, what are they and what are the pros and cons of using one?

thecfarm

Steven A,I guess everyone is still eating turkey.We're waiting for the second wave.Clink on to Tom's link about bow saws.This will show you a picture.Seems like they worked real good for pulpwood that is ricked up or pushed up into a pile with a skidder.Seems like they were not designed to cut down any tree bigger than 4 iches.Kickback was bad too if you did not use them correctly.I never been around one.This is what I remember from here.I may be wrong on some of the above,If I am someone will come on and straighen things out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Oh they will cut bigger than 4 inches.They are made to plunge cut.Often used for pulp wood cutting.The blade design is such that it tends to be more forgiving with regards to pinching the bar in the cut.You just kind of shove them through the tree you are cutting.

It the early 60's,I literaly cut thousands of osage orange,using a Mac 250 with a bow,for fence posts.These ranged in size from about 5 inchs to perhaps 8 inchs,cut a tad over 8 feet long.

There is a high kick back hazard if the saw is allowed to cut on the upper portion of the bar and really should not be used unless the guard is in place.I've heard but not seen bow bars being used on logging sites for cutting the logs to marketable lengths.

Truth be known,however,they are seldom used these days.I think if you scan Mike Acres site,you could possibley find a bow with the proper gaurds on it.I've got one of mine on another site but I don't think I'm allowed to blab which one or send a link.

tcsmpsi

Steven A

Here is a bow blade saw running a half inch chain.

Poulan 66.  I have used it for many years, cutting every which way, size, etc.   It will do lots of things, but it shines at bucking on the ground as one can cut through and not get into the ground.   They were a pulpwooder's dream. 

Ideally, that 'protrusion' out on the end of the bow is used as a 'dog' to feed the end of the bow into the cut of a stable, horizontal log.  When everything is ginning right (blade sharp/set properly, engine running top notch, oil being applied properly), it is a challenge to keep up with the saw.

If I remember correctly, the bow blade was Poulan's first saw, and I believe that Poulan originated in Louisana.

As with any chainsaw, there is always risk of serious injury and one should always become very familiar with every cutting and handling characteristic of each individual saw. 

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

4woody

Hey they still got them in ponshops around here

Pullinchips

Like others have said you can buy them from baileys online or the catalouge for stihl and husky saws, I know.  I Have a small logger that cuts on our timber sales that sill uses bow saws.  He is an old short-wooder that runs an old six-wheel truck that hauls about 3 cords.  And yes they can cut down very large trees around 20" buts, i know i have seen it done.

-Nate
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

Thank You Sponsors!