iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used da 5’ Wooden Handled Peavey

Started by Magicman, May 18, 2018, 07:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Today but not on a log.

Taped da hook back and used it to punch holes in the ground for fertilizer for da Pecan trees.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

petefrom bearswamp

Good idea Magic.
AS a point of curiousity, I saw only wooden handled peavys and cant hooks while at Peter's this past saturday.
Also my son heads for the wooden one when he helps me., Interesting I guess it is a matter of personal preference.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

That wooden handled Peavey lives at the Cabin and is/was a very poor log handling tool.  Much depends upon how the hook is arched.  I have two non Logrite cant hooks; one will grab a log and the other will not.

The only log handling tools allowed on my work truck are Logrites.  The hooks are properly arched for the intended log size and they always grab.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I only have LogRites now. I loaned out my wooden handled ones and never got them back. On purpose. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rjwoelk

I got 2 logrite now but my first one was a wooden wantabe .i find it likes sertin size logs. But i find the wood handle is tooooo fat. Hard to handle.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Magicman

Since I officially retired that old woodie, it has been used at the tree farm for things such as a dibble for planting trees and as a pry pole when building bridges.  It was never any good as a peavey.   ::)

petefrom bearswamp

I wonder how all those old lumberjacks ever got along with only the old style ones.
Dont get me wrong i LOVE MY LOGRIGHT.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

I am quite sure that the blacksmith properly arched the hooks to grab the intended log size.   The different length Logrites have different hook sizes.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on May 24, 2018, 09:57:21 PM
I wonder how all those old lumberjacks ever got along with only the old style ones.

They knew how to sharpen them like there saws and axes. 

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

My wooden ones have been retired and put out to pasture.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I still have 4-5 hanging in the old farm house waiting to be re-bent my a blacksmith. I can still hear mt Father tell me that. He always kept some on hand so he could swap them out. He loaded many trucks with a peavey. Or I should say peaveys. He had help.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CCCLLC

I have accumulated 13 of the wooden ones in the past 28 years. 4 different lengths. Would love to try the " new and improved" but I'm to far into the old ones. Maybe they'll take in 4 or 5 as a trade in.

thecfarm

If you tried the new and improved you would be surprised. ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brian_Weekley

I know Logrite is an important sponsor and make a fine product, but there's still something cool about an authentic, wooden-handled Peavey.  They were the real deal used by real men for for a very long time...

e aho laula

CCCLLC

Yes,the old "Woody's" are a neat tool to look at and have hanging around, guessing that is why I have picked up so many thru the years. I also loan them out to folks getting their logs together for upcoming sawing project. I have several (13). My most prized one is only 2' long. An older gentleman owned it and handed it to me when he left the mill for his retirement. He ran an old Link sash gang at the JR Sizemore mill and worked for three generations of the family. That one stays with me to turn small cants on the lt40. 
Recommendation for length on first LogRite?

Magicman

Quote from: CCCLLC on May 26, 2018, 07:59:40 AMRecommendation for length on first Logrite?
If that was a question I would recommend the 60".   logrite_cool

petefrom bearswamp

I have both styles of cant hooks and a wooden handled peavey that is used occaisonally, and as i posted above my son goes for the wooden one, I grab whichever one is handy, one of the 48 " at each end of the log deck. and an additional 2' Wooden handle one at the control end.
I use the smaller one a lot on small to medium size logs.
I broke the handle on my peavey in the 70s by running over it with my case 1000d track loader.
My dad who loved to turn wood made me an oak handle but could only make a 3' handle.
These tools are like lovin' all are good just some better than others.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

WDH

The logrites are superior to the wood handled ones. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mike_belben

Somewhere in a container up north ive got an old home made one, looks like an old wheelbarrow handle almost.  The hook actually swings in a morticed box with a bolt going through it.  Id say it was oak or hickory and atleast a hundred yrs old by the aging of the wood.  Kinda cool, works alot better than the chinesium one ive got.
Praise The Lord

Magicman

mike_belben

Yes, pretty close.  The wood is almost exactly same, my hook is bigger and with a more continuous arc and a point for biting logs, rather than the cant turner dogleg.

What do you know about that one?  

I also have a funny little 4 legged stand on a handle that i think is a sort of stop for preventing the log from rolling back.  Maybe to position a log for hewing?
Praise The Lord

Magicman

Quote from: mike_belben on May 27, 2018, 08:45:52 AMWhat do you know about that one?
Nothing.  It is hanging in an old homestead and sorta museum in South Louisiana.

WDH

It is a canthookasaurus.  65 million years old.  From the Late Cretaceous Period, just before the asteroid strike doomed the dinosaurs.  Went extinct.  Like most old wooden cant hooks should.  Wall hangers :).  The Logrites crawled out of the ocean and took over. 

Thank You Sponsors!