iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

THE Peavey

Started by JohnM, October 10, 2012, 06:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnM

(kind of like THE Ohio State  ;))

I took a quick (about 7 miles door to door) drive down the road today to Peavey Manufacturing in Eddington, ME to get a new handle for my grandfathers old peavey.  It's actually an old Snow & Nealley but other than having to cut a little bit of the end off to make it fit a bit better, it's the same design as the ones made many moons ago.  My grandfather was a logger in this area after he came over from Ireland (with a stint in Canada first), not sure if this was his original peavey but I know it's seen plenty of use over the years.

You can see the crack (it's on both sides) in the old handle.  It looks like my father stuck a drywall screw in it at some point, which has held up surprising well. :D

Opted to go with a little longer handle, 4' instead of the 3 1/2'.  Not sure I'll see a big difference but figured it can't hurt.

And just a close up of the Snow & Nealley stamp.

If interested check out Peavey's site, the history page has a neat story on how these handy little tools came to be.  Btw, I have passed by this business I can't even imagine how many times, starting as an infant going out to my grandparents place (which is where my family and I live now) and this is the first time I've ever been in the place. :o

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

thecfarm

I have 2 my Father used. He gave a couple away to my brothers. probably those are in the ground by now.  ::) I don't think there are any markings on the steel part. I had to put a handle in one many years ago. The point kept falling out,that's all that was wrong with it. Was kinda rotting where the point went in. I brought mine from a hardware store. I had to drill the hole out for the point. every time I reach for it I think of my Father. It's hard to give up on a tool like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

Quote from: thecfarm on October 10, 2012, 09:05:11 PM
every time I reach for it I think of my Father. It's hard to give up on a tool like that.

Agreed, Ray.  I actually have little doubt that Logrite has a better overall product and when( ;D)/if( :() I get my mill I'll get their cant hook.  But Grandpa's old Peavey will always be around (maybe on the wall with the old handle reinstalled but around... :D).

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Peter Drouin

The old Peaveys work just find , you just have to know how to sharpen them, save your money :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I have about 6 hooks that are hung up in the old farm house. My Father would change them out when they would not grip as good. He would take them to the black smith and they would re bend them so they would grab right again. He use to load trucks by hand with them. This was long before I was thought of. He was a typical farmer of that era,cut a load or 2 a year for money or a building project.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!