iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setting LT15Wide On Beams

Started by Pepe_Silvia, December 09, 2018, 08:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepe_Silvia

I got my LT15Wide about three weeks ago.  The location it's on has a decent slope to it, maybe 4" across the length of the saw.  Initially I put the feet on squares of 2x8 and then leveled.  I've cut a few logs and its worked alright, but we had a decent rain this weekend and they settled quite a bit, throwing me out of level.  In the next couple weeks I'll be getting a few reasonably sized osage orange logs and figure they'd be good to cut beams to set the saw on.

My questions:

• Is it better to run them crosswise across the saw, or lengthwise along the saw?  Seems like people do it both ways.
  • Should I do some dirt work and try to get the ground/beams fairly level on their own, or just throw them down and use the leveling legs?
  • Should I secure the feet to the beam somehow?

Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

btulloh

I ran mine lengthwise on top of cross ties.  The feet on my mill are staggered from one side to the other, so crosswise wouldn't work too well.  

Definitely secure the feet to the base or you'll be picking the mill up off the ground after you turn a few big logs.  

It's easier to level cross ties than 20 or 24 ft beams.  I'd level the ties you set on the ground as close as possible, then tweak the beams on top with some asphalt shingles here and there.  Then dial it in with the adjustable feet for fine tuning.  Any way you get the mill level is ok, but I'd get pretty close from the ground up.

When I first set up my mill I set the feet on 8x16 solid blocks.  That was ok for a few logs but not for long term.  It gave me a way to cut 6x6's to do it right.  Well - more right anyway.  Concrete pad or footers would be better, but that'll be next time.  Ties and timbers holding up well.  I check the level and tweak the feet now and then.  Usually after the spring thaw.
HM126

btulloh

And welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Enjoy your new mill.
HM126

YellowHammer

I went to the local metal supply house and bought some 2x6 full length steel rectangular, heavy wall tubing and tack welded it to the frame.  Then I put a set of small trailer wheels under the mill frame and a few of the trailer jack stands and had a set up where I could level anywhere, it was extremely strong, and I could hook the mill up to my four wheeler and put it under cover when I wasn't using it.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

I put mine on crossbeams. I removed the adjustable feet and put the mill directly on the beams.  Then, I ran 2x4's along the outside the long mill rails framing in the mill to keep it from moving when turning large logs.  You don't need the feet. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Pepe_Silvia

Btulloh, how did you secure the feet to the base?  If I recall there are holes in the feet, just a couple screws in each one?

Pepe_Silvia

Quote from: WDH on December 10, 2018, 10:19:21 AM
I put mine on crossbeams. I removed the adjustable feet and put the mill directly on the beams.  Then, I ran 2x4's along the outside the long mill rails framing in the mill to keep it from moving when turning large logs.  You don't need the feet.
Do you not get any shifting from your crossbeams that need you need the feet to adjust for?

Pepe_Silvia

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 10, 2018, 10:13:19 AM
I went to the local metal supply house and bought some 2x6 full length steel rectangular, heavy wall tubing and tack welded it to the frame.  Then I put a set of small trailer wheels under the mill frame and a few of the trailer jack stands and had a set up where I could level anywhere, it was extremely strong, and I could hook the mill up to my four wheeler and put it under cover when I wasn't using it.  
This is a good solution and would probably work well in my scenario.  Do you think you'd be able to load the full thing onto a trailer to be semi-mobile?  How far did you space the trailer jacks?

btulloh

Quote from: Pepe_Silvia on December 10, 2018, 10:25:29 AM
Btulloh, how did you secure the feet to the base?  If I recall there are holes in the feet, just a couple screws in each one?
Just a couple screws in each one.  No problems.
Lots of good suggestions on here and in other threads.  The best solution is the one that works for your needs.  Good to get as many ideas as possible and sort through it.
HM126

YellowHammer

Quote from: Pepe_Silvia on December 10, 2018, 10:33:24 AMDo you think you'd be able to load the full thing onto a trailer to be semi-mobile?  How far did you space the trailer jacks?
Actually, I put a trailer tongue on it so it was a trailer.   Fully mobile, all it needed was lights to be road legal. 
The steel was long enough to attach full length so not only strengthend the frame  but insured it stayed perfectly straight.  To attach the tongue, I welded an "A' to the front like a conventional utility trailer, then painted the whole thing orange and made a "Woodmizer Go" before there was a "Woodmizer Go". :D  It was a very easy but extremely easy project.  
I spaced the trailer jacks evenly across the frame, at the ends and twice in the middle on either side of the tires.  I loaded some mega logs on it no problem.  Putting the machine up high on a trailer makes it much easier to work with, and much more comfortable. Heres a picture with two "L" shaped log deck legs that attach and remove to the side of the mill.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Pepe_Silvia

What kind of suspension did you go with?  3000 lb axle?

alanh

Exactly was was done to mine before I bought it, its a 3k axle , it came with the taller tires and rims, I had the smaller ones laying around so I put them on to get the height down,

Pepe_Silvia

Thank You Sponsors!