iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pricing Walnut Logs

Started by TNhobbyfarmer, April 05, 2007, 09:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNhobbyfarmer

I have some walnut trees on my place that should be easy to get to.  There is a log buyer in the area that indicates that he will pay me $1.50/bf for walnut logs that are a minimum of 16" and 12 ft or longer.  That sounds pretty high to me, but as a seller, the higher the better.
He says he will buy as few or as many as I want to bring.  I think I will knock one of the trees down and take a log or two to see if the deal is indeed as good as it sounds. 

Do you think this sounds like a plan that has merit?  I have never sold logs before and am wondering if there is a possible catch here.   

J_T

Slow down a bit  8) That could be cheep ???Where you at in Tenn ??? I got a guy that exports logs he comes out an marks the logs for best grade and money pays on the spot . Alot of buyers like to buy from logers as that is their steady supplyers .
Jim Holloway

TNhobbyfarmer

Quote from: J_T on April 05, 2007, 09:13:10 PM
Slow down a bit  8) That could be cheep ???Where you at in Tenn ??? I got a guy that exports logs he comes out an marks the logs for best grade and money pays on the spot . Alot of buyers like to buy from logers as that is their steady supplyers .

Stewart County between Clarksville and Dover

J_T

How many trees or logs you got and what size  ??? May can find you some phone numbers . I think my buyer may come that way
Jim Holloway

WDH

When you say $1.50/bd-ft, what log scale is that?  Doyle?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Wenrich

I'm thinking the veneer price is up around $4/bf.  Price depends on the amount of defect.  If that is for a low quality log, then that's a great price. 

There are a lot of come ons in log prices.  Log buyers indicate how much they pay, but after they start scaling, the price starts dropping.  They often quote the upper end of the price to get their foot in the door.  But, few logs may scale to those specs. 

You should have all the specifics before you can figure out if its a good price.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Daren

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on April 06, 2007, 05:59:27 AM

There are a lot of come ons in log prices.  Log buyers indicate how much they pay, but after they start scaling, the price starts dropping.  They often quote the upper end of the price to get their foot in the door.  But, few logs may scale to those specs. 

I think that is your answer right there  :-X . What he said he will pay and what he does pay are usually 2 numbers that are rarely in the same ballbark...once they are cut down and hauled to him he is at an advantage, you can't go replant them  :D. Have him come out and look at them and price them on the stump, or cut down one (you said he would take as few as you chose) use the log volume calculator on this site that he says he will scale with and see how it works for you....Don't cut down a whack and be stuck with a load to market if you and he don't see eye to eye. That is my $.02.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

BBTom

The logger I work with just sold 14,000bdft of logs. 

First buyer offered about $1 / bdft, logger told him he was at half price. 

Second buyer was about 1.60/ bdf, close but not enough. 

Third buyer offered about 1.85/ bdft and buyer paid trucking. He got the pile. 

Walnut is in demand right now in this area, probably because the log price on maple is down a bunch.

2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

olyman

Quote from: BBTom on April 06, 2007, 07:59:22 AM
The logger I work with just sold 14,000bdft of logs. 

First buyer offered about $1 / bdft, logger told him he was at half price. 

Second buyer was about 1.60/ bdf, close but not enough. 

Third buyer offered about 1.85/ bdft and buyer paid trucking. He got the pile. 

Walnut is in demand right now in this area, probably because the log price on maple is down a bunch.

believe this needs to be your approach--tooooooo many buyers in this area want them for nothing--and resale real high!!!!!!!! been there before---and they wonder why people are untrusting---

Ed_K

Seems walnut is the only hardwood making money.Wish it grew more here in Ma. :(. I'm taking a beating on hardwood right now, maple is down the tubes.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!