iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I finally did it

Started by Mojo700, April 28, 2019, 06:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo700

I joined the forum that I have been lurking around occasionally for at least 10 years.
Back in the day I bought a good condition used Husky 359 from a private party and started searching for information around here - I was close it to sending to ehp for a port job at one time, but it did what I needed and ran great for me so I never did mod it. Anyway, it was stolen from me about 5 years ago when my storage garage was broken into. I didn't replace it until I really needed a saw, and then I replaced it with a 46cc Craftsman Pro model since it was cheap and quickly available. It's done good for me, but it is so much more work than the 359 was for big stuff. I only cut 3 or 4 big trees a year unless there is a storm or helping somebody out - big to me is over 12 inches, but I have done a few 24-26".
I've decided that I want another saw in the 60cc range to keep the weight as low as possible. And I want it to be a Pro model that will pull a 20" bar with full chisel and possibly a 24" semi skip chisel without making me do the work.
And while I think Husky and Stihl make great saws, I'm hoping to spend less, so I'm considering other mfg's like Dolmar, Jonsered, Echo, Makita and Redmax or others you guys may recommend.
Thanks for all the help through the years, I look forward to your suggestions.

Old Greenhorn

Welcome (finally) to the forum! Never had a 60cc saw, not sure how that would do with a 24 bar but would probably work. Jut got a 70cc and the weight is a consideration for sure. I like the Husky stuff. Good luck in your search!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

lxskllr

Welcome! My first good saw(last year) was a MS362cm with a 24" bar, full comp chain. I've had it buried in black oak, and it works ok. If it was something I was doing all the time, I think I'd want something bigger, but it'll get the job done.

Around here it's Husqvarna, Stihl, and echo for dealer support. I wouldn't really consider anything else. Jonsered is Husqvarna's redheaded(literally!) stepchild, Dolkita is only sold by big box stores(I think. I try to avoid big box stores). Redwhat!? I've heard the name, but never seen one in the wild(I think it's actually a Jonsered now?).

I've settled on Stihl for when I want an expensive saw, and echo when I want to save some money. If an amazing deal on a Husky dropped in my lap, I'd get it, but I try to keep my life simple. I know Stihl now, and am familiar with how they work. Same thing with echo. Removing choices makes life easy. There's enough decision making within a product line without factoring in other companies. So... I guess my suggestion is to get an echo if you want a pro(ish) saw. If your dealer situation is different than mine, you might want something else.

Pine Ridge

Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

sawguy21

Welcome aboard. I recommend staying with a brand that has a servicing dealer in your area. Are you buying new or used?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Mojo700

Once I am equipped with two saws I really am not too concerned about dealer support - I've always had this forum and it's sponsors in the past with one saw and survived. I haven't experienced a dealer who has, and is willing to share their knowledge like this place, most of the dealers I've experienced are just frustrated by customers. They would prefer to just have a drop box where a guy could drop his equipment with a note and a credit card and not speak to anyone. Some places have great counter people and bad service guys, others it's bad counter people and decent service people. In any case, I'd prefer to get the answer from the wealth of knowledge on this forum, and buy the parts from forum sponsors, which allows me to stay home, spend less and probably get it done correctly.

I'm curious on how the Dolmar Makita Dolkita 6421 compares to the Husky 562 - taking into account the price difference.

HotRail

Husky and Jonsered are the same saws basically, just different colors from what I understand.  So I would imagine pricing would be very similiar on those two brands but maybe not...  Makita owns Dolmar from my understanding, maybe things have changed, I have been away from the forums for quite some time...they make some very good saws but not sure how their prices compare.  Echo, like someone else mentioned, would definitely be the way to save $$$ and sounds like you are familiar with this brand.  Anyways best of luck and I too love getting my info from a forum like this but I do have a great dealer 3 miles down the road and go there often.

HotRail

Quote from: Pine Ridge on April 28, 2019, 08:41:39 PM
555 husqvarna.
Always wanted one for my firewooding even though i'm partial to Stihl....ALOT of good things said about this sleeper saw and would save you $$$ over its brother the 562xp.  

Inaotherlife

Quote from: lxskllr on April 28, 2019, 07:06:22 PM
Welcome! My first good saw(last year) was a MS362cm with a 24" bar, full comp chain. I've had it buried in black oak, and it works ok. If it was something I was doing all the time, I think I'd want something bigger, but it'll get the job done.

Around here it's Husqvarna, Stihl, and echo for dealer support. I wouldn't really consider anything else. Jonsered is Husqvarna's redheaded(literally!) stepchild, Dolkita is only sold by big box stores(I think. I try to avoid big box stores). Redwhat!? I've heard the name, but never seen one in the wild(I think it's actually a Jonsered now?).

I've settled on Stihl for when I want an expensive saw, and echo when I want to save some money. If an amazing deal on a Husky dropped in my lap, I'd get it, but I try to keep my life simple. I know Stihl now, and am familiar with how they work. Same thing with echo. Removing choices makes life easy. There's enough decision making within a product line without factoring in other companies. So... I guess my suggestion is to get an echo if you want a pro(ish) saw. If your dealer situation is different than mine, you might want something else.
Pretty much agree with all this.
I got a couple old Poulan mag case saws. 56cc 3400 and a 60cc 3500.
My biggest saw is a Husky 372xp that I got a deal on.
Most of the rest are 50cc and smaller Echo's, all leaning towards their version of pro saws.
And an old mag case Stihl 009L that is pretty spicy for a reed valve "home-owner" saw.
But if I ever wanted to throw down big bucks for a brand new saw it would be a Stihl pro model. Maybe a 201 or a 462. Although the 241 looks pretty sweet if I wanted to dump all my other mid to small rear handle saws and travel light.

Inaotherlife

Quote from: Mojo700 on April 29, 2019, 10:44:22 AMI'm curious on how the Dolmar Makita Dolkita 6421 compares to the Husky 562 - taking into account the price difference.
I don't know about the 562. But while the 6421 doesn't really seem any bigger than my 372xp, it does feel heavier. 
The Makita does have a really sturdy feel to it. And I like the big stainless dogs. 
Husky has a better filter unless you upgrade to the HD on the Makita.

Fishnuts2

555 Husqvarna or 2258 Jonsered.  Not sure what the Red Max version is now.  Pro saw construction with an affordable price.

Thank You Sponsors!