iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trailer Flooring ??

Started by bama20a, July 20, 2008, 09:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bama20a

Hey all: Very new to this.I was thinking about flooring a trailer(semi),& using oak. Could I do this with fresh sawed wood,being that they are screwed down close or should it be dried lumber,If air dried how long should it be dried first? Thanks,,,,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

scsmith42

Hi Bama.  Oak is commonly used for trailer decking; with white oak preferred due to it's rot resistance.

If you deck the trailer with green boards, expect them to open up 1/2" - 1" or so between the boards as they dry.  Presuming that you're using 8/4 boards, you're better off air drying for 6 months or so before installing (stacked and stickered boards).  A year is even better, but 6 months should take care of 75% of the shrinking.

Once the oak is dried, you will need to pre-drill the holes through the wood or the friction may shear off your decking screws.

Regards,

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Warren

Bama,

If you go to a commercial trailer manufacturer / repair facility, they will have large flat head, torx drive screws to bolt down the decking. (1/4" x 2.5" or 5/16" x 2.5" tempered)  Two styles: (a) Self tapping and (b) self drilling + self tapping.  Get the self drilling + self tapping.  I replaced the deck on a large equipment roll back last year.  The trailer shop was out of drilling + tapping type.  I went thru quite a few bits putting the holes in the frame rails.  Get a 1/2" drive torx driver to drive the screws and use a 1/2" drive impact to do the work.  Recess the heads enough that they don't stand up when the lumber dries and shrinks.

I think oak is like 5% to 10% shrinkage from green to dry, so 6" wide green oak will shrink from 1/4" to over 1/2".  Not certain the expectation on a semi trailer.  Around here on equipment trailers, the cracks are never a concern. They are just some place for the water and slop to drain thru.

BTW,  I made good money on the job because no one else wanted to do it.

Warren

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Thank You Sponsors!