iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling my T&G flooring and Molding

Started by Coffee_Creek, September 05, 2018, 09:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coffee_Creek

a little over two years ago I started harvesting trees for the lumber I would be using for T&G flooring all the trim for house......

I cut and hauled about twenty loads of logs, pine, sycamore, beech, red oak, white oak and poplar to a sawmill just 3 miles down the road, he did a good job and price was very fair,
I hauled all the lumber back to my pole barn to air dry,
I sprayed each board with Tim-Bor before stacking, this air dried for almost two years.....

j

Coffee_Creek

with all the lumber in th barn air drying, I built the solar kiln, I can get 16' lumber in it, being able to dry 16' lumber was nice for long boards I plan to make molding with.....
I posted a thread on the kiln build so I'll only show a few pic's here......

Coffee_Creek

Now the fun part begins DEMO!!!!!!
The previous owner built the old house in sections, one side was the living room and kitchen, then he doubled this by adding and addition with two bedrooms and a bath beside it, he poured a large carport in front of it (the one I enclosed) he then ran a large steel beam on each side the entire length and supported it with steel columns, he added trusses and a metal roof, this made the roof like a free standing pavilion type roof over the entire house, I saw no reason to demo a perfectly good roof so my wife designed a new house to fit under it utilizing the existing roof. I came up with a plan on how to demo the old house out from under it.

Coffee_Creek

With demo and cleanup finished it time to start putting everything back starting with foundation,framing and drying it in.......

Coffee_Creek

Coffee_Creek

Crossroads

You've been busy! It looks nice, I look forward to seeing the finished product 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

boardmaker

What a great build along.

I always enjoy threads like these. 

Coffee_Creek

Quote from: Crossroads on February 18, 2019, 12:55:19 AM
You've been busy! It looks nice, I look forward to seeing the finished product
Thank you sir, 
I'll post updated pic's as soo as I have time.

Coffee_Creek

Quote from: boardmaker on February 18, 2019, 09:36:41 AM
What a great build along.

I always enjoy threads like these.
Thank you, we're looking forward to project being completed.
We do relax in the evening with a cold drink and watch the animals.

DDW_OR

i like the photos, and the covered deck!

i see you use Cuddeback cameras.
i use the Cuddeback CuddeLink, the Black Flash type. CUD-01144
i found that the Long Range IR would flash a single red LED when the battery's where getting low. thus giving way its location.

one thing i dislike about the CuddeLink is it uses 12 AA batteries for each camera.
Costco Kirkland AA 72 pack = $20 = $3.34 per camera.
batteries last 60 days
"let the machines do the work"

Coffee_Creek

yes sir, it's just what I grabbed off the shelf, I prefer the long range IR and use the optional battery pack that takes 6 D cell, I've used it two years so far onthe same batteries.

Planman1954

You get an A+ for documentation photos! Thanks for doing it.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Coffee_Creek

Quote from: Planman1954 on February 19, 2019, 03:43:27 AM
You get an A+ for documentation photos! Thanks for doing it.
Thank you sir, I enjoy doing it......

Coffee_Creek

finishing out the inside,
we spray foamed all exterior walls, attic was blown in with 16", interior walls we use bat for minimizing sound.

Rocked the fireplace using real rock instead of man made, the mantle is an old sweet gum (I think) cross tie that was used as a fence post in our pasture....

Had the custom cabinets built and installed.....

Andries

Beautiful work CC!
You're building a beautiful home.
Question: when the exterior walls are foamed-what is used to shave the foam so that it isn't 'proud' to the framing studs?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Coffee_Creek

The company I hired used a battery operated saws all with a long blade, the pic showing a guy on the ladder is using it, the long blackand skinny thing on his left side is the blade, I've also seen people use what looks like a big wishbone with a heated piano wire.

gdaddy01

Coffee_Creek

gdaddy01

do you know the pros and cons of both ?

Coffee_Creek

Quote from: gdaddy01 on February 27, 2019, 01:48:32 PM
do you know the pros and cons of both ?
The company that did mine said the closed cell has a slightly higher R value but a much higher price and considering where I live, central Alabama, he recommended the open cell.

doc henderson

sorry, I tried to add a comp chart.  you all can google it as well.  cost and water permeability is a big diff.  R value and structural stiffness are also a consideration

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

gdaddy01

thanks fellows , is the foam in the post the same type stuff used for spare in insulation ? 

Thank You Sponsors!