iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

heater fan quit working, any ideas? problem solved

Started by breederman, February 09, 2006, 11:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

breederman

It's in my Chevy Lumina van.  Went to work tuesday and after about ten minutes it just stopped running. Fuse is good,I checked the switch and it has power on all the out bound legs.  No power at the plug on the fan.I put a hot jumper wire on the fan and then it runs. Just about froze to death looking for a broken wire,to no avail.
   Any good ideas? its gonna snow sat. and the defroster might come in handy!
Together we got this !

Murf

You're probably on the right track looking for a broken wire, but it might not be obvious.

Whatever you do, don't use one of those pointy cicuit testers to locate the break, all it will do is pierce the protective insulation on the wire and allow salt and moisture into the wire where it will destroy the conductor.

I know this because the knuckle-heads who installed my truck cap did just that trying to find the brake wire, in months I had no tailights at all. Every single wire was green and corroded right through where they had jabbed it.

They paid for and installed a new pigtail from the dealer.  ::)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

leweee

Hot wire it for now.....sort out the short in the spring. ::) Makes a great convertation piece if someone asks about it.....and you can tell them this is the reason why you wouldn't buy another one. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

scsmith42

There is typically a blower motor relay in the circuit between the fuse and the fan.  GM has been doing this since the 70's.  Odds are that yours has gone bad.  Early 90's GM pickups located the relays on the side of the HVAC box behind the glove box.

Not sure where yours is at; check with a mechanic to find out the location.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

moosehunter

The relay is a good place to start. Also check the resistor block...very common failure. It will be attached to the blower/heater box.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

breederman

I can hear the relay click when i put the fuse back in, if it clicks should it be ok?
Together we got this !

breederman

Who needs a mechanic? I got you guys! Went out and found the relay and did some very precise ;D wiggiling and on she came :)  almost 200,000 miles must have loosened something up.
    Thanks I owe you guys another one!
Together we got this !

moosehunter

But some of us are mechanics!

Maybe you needed one after all ;D
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

scsmith42

Glad to help out.  What goes around, comes around, right?!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

breederman

I hope so! My problem is I know a little about alot, than can get you it trouble sometimes!
  I have learned in my old not to tear things apart too fast because as often as not, when something don't work it is something simple.
Together we got this !

Thank You Sponsors!