iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

40:1 instead of 50:1?

Started by Todd, December 23, 2005, 08:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedoublejranch

I either buy the pre mixed gas in gallon cans or when I do mix, its 3oz to a gallon leaving me with 44:1, 3 oz is a nice number vs 2.6oz etc.
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

sawguy21

That works for you and it's fine. Simple and easy to remember. Being under the metric system I mix 100ml of oil to five litres of gas for 50:1, don't ask me to figure it out under the British standard system which I have forgotten.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tacotodd

People just need to remember it in EASY terms; 50 PARTS gas to 1 PART oil. Easy Peasy  ;)
Trying harder everyday.

Ianab

Quote from: Tacotodd on July 10, 2021, 09:02:33 PM
People just need to remember it in EASY terms; 50 PARTS gas to 1 PART oil. Easy Peasy  ;)
While that's 100% correct, 5,000 ml (5 litres) of gas, with 100ml of oil is much simpler maths than figuring ounces of oil to gallons of gas. 
Under metrics the PARTS are basically in the same units. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

barbender

I like metric, I hate fractions.
Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

It is easy to work with once we learned to THINK in metric and stopped trying to convert. My mother refused to use it, maybe because her parents were American. ;)

HemlockKing

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 11, 2021, 10:50:47 AM
It is easy to work with once we learned to THINK in metric and stopped trying to convert. My mother refused to use it, maybe because her parents were American. ;)
Us Canadians are "mixed". Typically use imperial for height and weight of person. Metric measuring liquids, metric speed limit, imperial construction materials. I'm pretty sure the us fed gov officially switched to metric with Canada though back then
A1

barbender

Mixed is the worst, in my opinion. Give me one or the other. At work, I operate a Finnish built forestry machine and it's all metric, all day long. I keep metric tools on it, there's never a question of what tools you need. Unfortunately, a lot of American stuff you can find both metric and standard on the same vehicle. It makes for a lot of trips back to the toolbox.
Too many irons in the fire

HemlockKing

Quote from: barbender on July 11, 2021, 12:20:56 PM
Mixed is the worst, in my opinion. Give me one or the other. At work, I operate a Finnish built forestry machine and it's all metric, all day long. I keep metric tools on it, there's never a question of what tools you need. Unfortunately, a lot of American stuff you can find both metric and standard on the same vehicle. It makes for a lot of trips back to the toolbox.
Yeah try being a machinist lol like you said it’s a pain. 
A1

sawguy21

I ran into it on a mid 80's GM pickup, the bolts holding the crossmember to the frame were British standard but the transmission was metric. How stupid is that?

thedoublejranch

Quote from: barbender on July 11, 2021, 12:20:56 PM
...a lot of American stuff you can find both metric and standard on the same vehicle. It makes for a lot of trips back to the toolbox.
Yes, that was during the transition period in the very late 70's (body panels went metric first, power train was still std) to around latter 80's, pretty much all standard/fraction stuff has been replaced with metric now for the last 25 years.
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

Real1shepherd

I ordered a 1984 3/4 ton GMC from the factory and it was made in Canada. Most of the metric fittings were marked with a little paint. At the time, I thought that was rather kind.....but yes, it had US and metric fasteners.

Kevin

fluidpowerpro

Marking fittings with a dab of paint is an assembly procedure used by many OEM's to indicate that they have been torqued to spec.  Its not because they were metric...
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Tacotodd

Quote from: fluidpowerpro on July 14, 2021, 09:57:53 PM
Marking fittings with a dab of paint is an assembly procedure used by many OEM's to indicate that they have been torqued to spec.  Its not because they were metric...
It's also often a "anti tamper" marking. I've seen enough of that through the years to realize it (and to know how to "circumnavigate" the marks)  ;D
Trying harder everyday.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: fluidpowerpro on July 14, 2021, 09:57:53 PM
Marking fittings with a dab of paint is an assembly procedure used by many OEM's to indicate that they have been torqued to spec.  Its not because they were metric...
Well then, it was a pretty fantastic coincidence that every single marked/painted fastener was metric.....every one of them.

I guess next you could argue that every critical fastener with a torque spec was painted and metric on purpose. But in truth the whole truck was a mix-match of metric and US fasteners.

Kevin  

fossil

Those paint marks are called witness marks in the auto industry.  They are there for various reasons.

Most of them are put on by the assembler at point of assembly as a way to try and make sure they are installed properly or even just installed.

They don't work particularly well as missed bolts are usually around a 1 in 5000+ occurrence. I have seen empty holes with the paint mark on the part.

It's hard to stay focused doing mundane, repetitive work.

In the metric bolt and inch bolts case, they may have come from the manufacturer with paint marks for easy ID.

My Toyota RAV 4 has many witness marks. The Japanese love them, especially on NA built models.
Tim

North to Alaska

Just observing and reporting. Not sure what is the cause. 

I just mixed up a new can of gasoline with Amsoul Sabre with 6 oz per two gallons (43:1). Previously had Stihl ultra at 50:1.
My MS 261 CM just came to life. Much more power.
Wife purchased a MS 180 C yesterday and had some running issues. Refilled it today with the new mix and her problems have gone away. More power and no more stalling.
Did get the stihl ultra for the extra warranty on the new saw so I will try it at a later date at the richer mix and see if there is a difference in oils.
My intuition say oil is the the reason but rather the mix ratio.

Branson 4520r tractor
Krpan 3.5 winch
MTL grapple
Dr 22k splitter
Stihl MS 261 CM

lxskllr

I haven't noticed any performance differences with various oils or ratios in the 40:1-50:1 range. I did finally pinpoint my burning eyes to PoulanPro full synthetic oil. I noticed it more with my brushcutter, and it was almost unbearable. No problems with Stihl Ultra(my usual) or VP. Not sure what they did so drastically different, but it was definitely different.

donbj

Quote from: North to Alaska on July 24, 2021, 01:37:33 AM

I just mixed up a new can of gasoline with Amsoul Sabre with 6 oz per two gallons (43:1). Previously had Stihl ultra at 50:1.
Wife purchased a MS 180 C yesterday and had some running issues. Refilled it today with the new mix and her problems have gone away. More power and no more stalling.
Did get the stihl ultra for the extra warranty on the new saw so I will try it at a later date at the richer mix and see if there is a difference in oils.
I wonder if it was the new fresh gas that made the difference and not the oil. Maybe your other gas was stale.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

North to Alaska

Quote from: donbj on July 24, 2021, 02:01:06 PM
Quote from: North to Alaska on July 24, 2021, 01:37:33 AM

I wonder if it was the new fresh gas that made the difference and not the oil. Maybe your other gas was stale.
I thought of that but my saw has been running a bit tired for more than one gas can. Had it in a couple weeks ago because it was pulsing at high rev. Thought it was fuel filter or computer issue. While we were working on it(tech lets us hang out with them) the spark plug wire fell apart. Lol. That fixed the problem.
The other thing is that my wife's saw which is brand new also seems to have more power after the fill up. Just purchased and it still had the gas from the dealer in it.
My real worry is if the pistons are not sealing enough and the extra oil is giving it a better compression.
Branson 4520r tractor
Krpan 3.5 winch
MTL grapple
Dr 22k splitter
Stihl MS 261 CM

Al_Smith

As far as paint marks on different fittings ,fasteners etc .They are exactly what has been mentioned, witness marks .29 years in an engine plant you know ;) .BTW nearly all fasteners and fittings with few exceptions are metric .You go wrench turning on one you need a lot of tools.
Oil ratios are a never ending subject of debate .Everybody is an expert on this subject  it seems .I'm just an old school 32 to 1 guy who will never change .

Al_Smith

I might add just so the experts know every single fastener , fitting on a modern engine assembly plant is torque checked electronically .This data goes  to an electronic tag on the engine .If just one is off that engine goes off line and is rechecked and reworked if necessary before it goes back on the main line for additional assembly .Honda and Ford do exactly the same method as there are really no secrets in the auto industry .These are not model A Ford  engines these days .

Thank You Sponsors!