iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

105cc Holzfforma® Blue Thunder G070 Gasoline Chain Saw

Started by Randy1949, February 21, 2021, 11:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy1949

Has anyone bought and used a 105cc Holzfforma® Blue Thunder G070 Gasoline Chain Saw? If so what are your thoughts on it?  I am thinking about a large chainsaw for occassional use, not my usual  saw.
Randy

sawguy21

It will probably be ok for light use but don't expect miracles. For that kind of money I would look for a good used 394/395.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

woodworker9

Save your money.  Don't buy a chinese knockoff.  For every person that claims a good experience, there are 2 or 3 complaining that they got sold junk....it's just bad economy supporting those junkers.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

weimedog

Quote from: Randy1949 on February 21, 2021, 11:07:30 AM
Has anyone bought and used a 105cc Holzfforma® Blue Thunder G070 Gasoline Chain Saw? If so what are your thoughts on it?  I am thinking about a large chainsaw for occassional use, not my usual  saw.
Best place to find folks who have actual knowledge on those is over on Facebook, There are a couple of "groups" , all the members are building and or using those blue saws of a variety of sizes. 
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Spike60

Quote from: woodworker9 on March 04, 2021, 12:06:49 AM
Save your money.  Don't buy a chinese knockoff.  For every person that claims a good experience, there are 2 or 3 complaining that they got sold junk....it's just bad economy supporting those junkers.
I'm with you. I get that these counterfeit saws have become part of the hobby, but that entire business model has a bit of a stench to it. People sometimes wander into the shop with them, but I refuse to work on them. Anyone wants to buy them, fine. But my shop isn't going to function as a support arm for those people. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Quadmethyl

I have a Holtzfforma 070, a Husky 460 Rancher, an old Poulan (when they were made in Louisiana) and the Chinese 070 starts better than any of them. When Stihl no longer makes parts for the 070 and all of a sudden a Chinese company is selling clones, that means Stihl sold their tooling and designs for that saw. Its not counterfeit, its just Chinese. For those of us without a dispoable income to spend 1.5k on a 100+ cc saw for milling, it is the answer. I've milled hundreds of board feet in pine, oak, poplar, and pecan; changed the air and fuel filters and it still starts better than my Husky. Admittedly I'm sure quality assurance isn't as good in the Chinese factories but my saw works every time I need it to which is the point. From what I've heard though, the original 070 was a very dependable saw. The other models by Hutzl may not be as dependable with so many plastic parts. The 070 has very few plastic parts but also has no chainbrake and is heavy and not really a "limbing" saw. For big felling and milling its awesome.

donbj

Hit and miss quality and success on hijacked technology and R&D. Keep legitimate companies going by supporting them
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Iwawoodwork

Are these china chain saws really hijacked technology? The Stihl and Husky saws that china copied are 40 year old saws. I was operating the 070 and Husky 2100 and 166 in the 70's.  My thought is that either the patent protection ran out or the firms sold the antique tooling as we are not hearing any litigation threats from Husky or Stihl. 
These saws are another affordable option for a HOBBY sawyer just like Poulan , Remington Makita or other off brand saws.

sawguy21

There is no longer patent infringement involved but they are still shameless copies of existing designs. They even changed the name just enough to avoid litigation. The big problems are shoddy materials and construction along with 0 product support. Buyer beware!!! I am curious how they got into the country without a chain brake. Shipped partially disassembled and labeled as parts?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

donbj

Quote from: Iwawoodwork on July 01, 2021, 01:14:06 PM
Are these china chain saws really hijacked technology? The Stihl and Husky saws that china copied are 40 year old saws. I was operating the 070 and Husky 2100 and 166 in the 70's.  My thought is that either the patent protection ran out or the firms sold the antique tooling as we are not hearing any litigation threats from Husky or Stihl.
These saws are another affordable option for a HOBBY sawyer just like Poulan , Remington Makita or other off brand saws.
It goes beyond just dollars for me. Certain economies have been let go too far. Our corporate structure here did it for $ and we bought into it with the cheap prices. I just look at that stupid yellow smiley roll back thing Walmart has and just shake my head. That silly thing mezmerises consumers. It's hard to escape in many ways but things need to be steered back home.

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

donbj

Quote from: donbj on July 02, 2021, 12:06:02 AMThe Stihl and Husky saws that china copied

That says it right there. Copied. Who did all the R&D they copied, and still they didn't do a good job because if they did they would have to charge what a good brand name saw is here.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Spike60 on March 04, 2021, 04:19:20 PM
Quote from: woodworker9 on March 04, 2021, 12:06:49 AM
Save your money.  Don't buy a chinese knockoff.  For every person that claims a good experience, there are 2 or 3 complaining that they got sold junk....it's just bad economy supporting those junkers.
I'm with you. I get that these counterfeit saws have become part of the hobby, but that entire business model has a bit of a stench to it. People sometimes wander into the shop with them, but I refuse to work on them. Anyone wants to buy them, fine. But my shop isn't going to function as a support arm for those people.
Amen. Don’t support shady scam Chinese knockoffs, also, they were probably assembled in North Korea  by children in work camps, then stamped “made in China”. Enough of our money already goes to China. Bout time made in China dies. Junk
A1

Greenhighlander

It is one thing to buy a knockoff hand bag for the Mrs . But when it comes to a serious machine that can do very serious harm , I am gonna stick to buying legit quality.   Peace of mind is more then worth the few hundred bucks that might be saved. 

Thank You Sponsors!