iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS271 new to me...issues running

Started by VB-Milling, May 29, 2021, 02:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VB-Milling

Just picked up a new to me MS271. Husband passed, wife sold it to me on offerup. All she knew was it ran 2 seasons ago.

I replaced the air filter as it looked pretty grimy.  Admittedly, I'm new to Stihl so I followed the startup procedures carefully. No primer bulb on this model. Choked it, it fired, moved lever to starting position and it ran like a scalded dog. Blipped the throttle and it stalled.  This is it's current state. Every time I try to start it cold, the same thing happens.  After a few attempts, it won't start at all.  I got myself the carb adjustment screwdriver thinking maybe someone monkeyed with all the adjustment screws.  I put everything back to factory settings per the manual and it's the same issue.  Not sure where to go from here....

Thoughts?
HM126

Tacotodd

Worth a shot and cheap; fuel filter. 
Trying harder everyday.

kantuckid

A top notch Stihl dealer/mechanic told me the newer Stihl filters blocked more easily than once was the case. Cannot tell by a quick look/see inspection was his point, so he changes them on many saws brought in with issues. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

doc henderson

try fresh gas with seafoam.  following a bit of spray.  did the old gas smell like varnish.  My wife has no idea when I got or the last time I used my saws.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

VB-Milling

Tank was bone dry and I added 50:1 trufuel so gas is fresh.  I'll order a fuel filter.  Might as well clean the carb...jets might be cruddy. I was hoping to just gas and go, but for the price I paid, I shouldn't complain about a little elbow grease and parts money.
HM126

doc henderson

It may have sat long enough that the vapor left, and the varnish remained.  We all talk about dumping fuel and or running a carb out of fuel for storage.  I just do not meet many that do.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

If you turn the carb screws in and back out, it can open stuff up a bit.  the new fuel alone will help clean stuff up.  the worst thing for a small engine is to not run.

firefighter ontheside

Sounds like it won't start again after the first time because its getting flooded.  You said you followed the starting procedure exactly, but are you sure.  What you describe doesn't sound like the exact procedure, but maybe you just didn't mention it.  Are you making sure to squeeze the throttle and press the the choke lever all the way down?  This will lock the throttle on.  Now let go of the throttle to start.  Pull the cord a few times until the saw almost starts, then push the lever up one click to start.  Once running, give the throttle a squeeze and it will switch itself to run.  You may be doing all of this already.  I have known many firefighters to not use these steps to start our chainsaws and then they come and say they can't get the saw to start.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

I am envisioning and older couple and a saw that was barely used.  if so I doubt anything is worn out, and more likely gummed up.  any pics?  most good gas oil contains stabilizer.  but if the aromatic part of gasoline evaporates, it will leave crud (oil and solid) that can be dissolved and eventually combusted in the new gas.  

kantuckid

I fail to see the advantage of buying canned fuel to enhance the prospects of the saw starting better? Not chasing an argument but that is not what Stihl suggest for their saws, etc.. Many Stihl dealers have placards on their counters stating full syn 2-cycle mix in 89 Octane gasoline so that's what it's designed for. I see any number of casual users who pay through the nose for canned fuel on the web-seems like a flat out waste of money to me? Might make sense to keep at a fly-in remote cabin in the AK wilderness? ;D
Full-syn mix oil has gasoline stabilizer in it. My own use is somewhat sporadic as I'm not a pro user. I accommodate that by one gallon mixes so it's always fresh. Since I keep 93 on hand for my Vespa 300 scooter, I use it sometimes to mix with. 

lxskllr

Canned fuel is good for infrequent use, or poor quality local fuel. I keep some on hand cause corn free gas is a bit of a hike, and I can use that til I restock. I suppose using it to troubleshoot a poorly running motor takes fuel quality out of the equation.

Mad Professor

When it won't restart is the plug wet or dry?  Will it try to start with a shot of mix in the carb?

If you are careful you can get the carb covers off without tearing the gaskets/diaphragms.  Look for crud, check inlet screen and needle and seat.

Tip I learned on saw carbs, a film of vasaline on the gasket/diaphragms will keep them from sticking/tearing when you pull the covers.

VB-Milling

All good discussion points, thanks guys.  I'm going to dig into it more this week.

I'll double check I'm following the startup procedure in the manual.  First, fuel filters and carb spray are cheap so I'll change the filter and clean the carb to rule those out.  I haven't checked the spark plug for wetness after I cannot get it to start again, but that's a good point.

Regarding the premixed trufuel, its what I have on-hand for my Husky and its always ran great.  I just assumed it would be approved for use in Stihl.
HM126

mike_belben

The piston, jug and carb dont know what brand they are and dont care what a bunch of humans approve of.  If that fuel works in a husky itll work in a stihl. 
Praise The Lord

kantuckid

Why the fuss? ;D I have no idea why Stihl "humans" say to use 89 octane gasoline? 
I do use 87 pump ethanol in our vehicles as those humans suggest. My Vespa is designed to run on higher octane fuel by Italians. Many e.g. of that particular engine with failures from 87 octane so I stay away from it mostly if I have a choice. 
 My point was that a small can of store bought fuel is too pricey for my pockets, not to suggest that it won't run whatever brand of saw, etc..

Fishnuts2

I've had success using canned fuel to clean carb parts when I did not have some carb cleaner available.

VB-Milling

Parts came in yesterday so I hope to get working on this sometime in the next few days.
HM126

VB-Milling

Finally got a chance to work on the saw.

Survey says...replaced fuel filter and she came to life...sort of....

No longer is she screaming when first started...settles to a nice idle with no chain rotation.  I guess I got the carb settings correct earlier in my troubleshooting.

Ran the saw for about 5 mins or so, cuts pretty well, needs a chain sharpening, but good power.  Then it cut out quickly and wouldn't restart.  Smoke coming from under the top plastic piece.  Engine fins way too hot to touch.  Haven't messed with it since.

Overheated somehow?  
HM126

VB-Milling

Anyone have any input? Some troubleshooting techniques I could try.  I'm sort of at a loss.  Saw keeps cutting out after a few minutes of use and gets extremely hot.
HM126

lxskllr

Might be running lean. How confident are you in your tuning skills, and hearing what the engine should sound like? Aside from that, see if that saw has a winter setting, and make sure it isn't set to that position. It's usually a piece of plastic you move that either traps heat at the top of the motor, or releases it..

ladylake

You have it set to lean on the high, may have burned  up the piston. pull the muffler and look for scoring on the piston.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

VB-Milling

Thanks guys.  I will take a look and see what I see.
HM126

VB-Milling

Ashamed it took me this long to get back on this saw, but today is the day.

The saw has a winter operation mode, but I think it's been removed or is broken.

Can't see a way to remove the muffler to check the piston and cylinder for scoring.

HM126

Twowithone

Can you get a peek through the muffler on the front.

VB-Milling

HM126

Thank You Sponsors!