The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Jonsered 2165 Recoil exploded...sorta  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Jonsered 2165 Recoil exploded...sorta
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2021, 09:50:58 AM »
The west coast spikes look cool, and they have their place, but I prefer the standard ones. And just as you're thinking, why lose those couple inches of bar length?

I'm curious about this. I'm not a faller or professional but have quite a bit of experience. What's the west coast spikes for? I have all stock spikes on my saws and as long as they have some bite that's all that matters. I'm on a saw forum that many guys put aftermarket spikes on that are half the size of the darn saw:D, seems to be some kind of fad to me more than anything. Not criticizing just curious.
Large bark timber;helps to dig in and bite during your felling cuts. They make a pivot point wherein you can rock your saw into the cut by pushing down on the top wrap handle with one hand and lifting the trigger handle up. You can get by with smaller dawgs for buckin', but it's impractical to change out or have a different saw for that task, so we leave on one size from felling.

Just like with full-wrap handles. If I'm trying to use a saw without them, I keep grabbing for something that isn't there while felling. You can compensate of course, but it's not the same when flipping your saw on its side.

Kevin

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2021, 09:56:06 AM »
I found that out this weekend about the handle, but I got it done 😅
Trying harder everyday.

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2021, 10:03:34 AM »
Yeah, I expect most saw owners have never had big dawgs or full-wraps. And they way they talk here, proud of it. It's like optional tools or extensions that you really don't need if you've never had the real use for them.

Kevin

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2021, 10:40:25 AM »
I’m debating on getting BOTH things from Madsens because I never know when I’ll run into that type of situation again, and I just do this stuff for fun. I don’t even work in the woods…but I wish that I did, once upon a time. exclaim_smiley

Oh, to be a 20yo again.
Trying harder everyday.

Offline SnoJetter

• Gramps was a logger and he's got me doing it too!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2021, 02:04:10 PM »
It was perfect cutting weather over the weekend. Lower 70's and an easy breeze to keep the bugs away. Gonna be in the 40's tonight. How's MN warmer than here? Ran one of my 630 Supers most of the time. Saws and splitter all ran fine after sitting for a few months. Losing the brakes on his UTV added soem fun to the transport phase. Good thing we were on level ground. :)

The west coast spikes look cool, and they have their place, but I prefer the standard ones. And just as you're thinking, why lose those couple inches of bar length?
Great to hear you had a productive weekend! And survived a run-away UTV!  
I don't know what's going on with the weather.  I don't know about NY specifically, but it seems like there's been a lot of rain out east in general.  Here in west central MN, it's been nothing but hot and dry for quite some time.  And we've been getting a constant dose of smoke from fires in Canada.  As one meme online has stated, I'm getting tired of smoking three packs of Canadian Wildfires everyday!  I've spent more time in doors than I'd like.  It cools off a fair amount that the late evenings are quite comfortable; enough so that me and my wife would enjoy a walk together...except it's frowned upon to leave our little kiddos in the house unattended.
I measured my 20" bar at a hair over 17" of usable length...I was wondering why it looked so short! ;D  There is a "cool" factor in those spikes, but I think if I'm going to spend $80 on a 24" bar (I'm only guessing on the cost), I'd like to have pretty close to 24" to work with.

Don, I think the idea is that they are for trees with thicker/heavier bark where some extra bite is needed. And since they run longer bars out there, a little loss of bar length doesn't matter. But I'm not really sure on thiis and we need someone like Kevin to jump in here @Real1sheperd how about filling in the blanks here?

But in the hobby world on these sites, I think it's mostly about style, along with the full wrap handles. Some of my younger tree svc guys do ask for the larger dogs though. I call these guys my "young guns", and as they spend more time on the web, they get a little caught up in "the look". I usually have a 562 and 572 set up with the full wrap and big spikes and 24" or 28" sugi-hara. Put "562 west coast" on the tag, and these young guys grab them. Not poking fun at these guys by any stretch here. On the contrary, I think it's great they have this enthusiasm for the saws.
I work with everything from aspen and balsam with its thin bark to large ash and oak with some pretty thick, furrowed bark.  I've never had an issue with the standard dogs...but at the same time, maybe I don't know what I'm missing out on!  I've tackled plenty of trees with my Johnny 455/535's some of which have no dogs at all (I'll bet 90% of this family of saws I see has no dog - I suppose this could be the result of having the bucking spike on the outside of the chain cover and could easily be lost/misplaced over time).  I notice a number of folks selling custom spikes for various saws that certainly look outlandish to a flatlander in fly-over country.  They look like a great way to customize or accessorize an otherwise ordinary machine.
I will say in looking at those monster spikes on this saw, I'm assuming there would come a day when one or more of those points will find it's way up against my leg, or my hand will forget they are there!  Replacing them would reduce that risk! :)  Speaking of which, I'm seeing a couple different options for the standard spike in the IPL for this saw.  Looks like one is just the spike itself while the other includes what looks like a chain catcher.  Seems the chain catcher version would also act as a stand to pitch the bar up somewhat and provide an extra measure of keeping the chain out of the dirt.

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2021, 08:14:32 PM »
It's a PNW and BC thing....if you never used large dawgs, full-wraps and are happy, just forget about it.

No one is trying to say you're missing something or need these extra tools.

Kevin

Offline donbj

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2021, 10:05:51 PM »
It's a big saw big wood thing then. My 394's and the 2100's have big dawgs. The thing I don't get is seeing the smaller saws decked out with dawgs that look quite odd on the saw. But if that's what a guy wants that's what a guy does. Same as hoppin up your car back in the day I suppose. We put lots of things on them for sure not needed
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2021, 09:06:42 AM »
It's impossible to explain large bark timber until you actually see it in person and try to work a saw felling with the typical smaller/factory dawgs. Saws like the 2100/2101 came with the larger dawgs. I don't think I've ever seen one of those saws without them, although maybe in another part of the country you could have gotten smaller dawgs...I dunno.

I have seen many with the factory wrap....or what I call the half-wrap. The saws didn't leave Sweden with the full-wraps on. They were put on in NA by dealers and/or subcontractors.

Kevin

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
husky 460 vs. jonsered 2165

Started by smith2bj on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post November 30, 2009, 12:14:45 PM
by thumper
xx
jonsered 2165 questions

Started by letsgetitracing on Chainsaws

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2008, 09:56:56 AM
by SawTroll