Sponsors:

Stihl 028 air filter gasket

Started by arky217, July 05, 2021, 07:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arky217

Just got a used Stihl 028; there is no gasket between
the air filter and the carb, just the plastic of the air filter
against the metal of the carb.

Is their supposed to be a gasket of some kind ?
Arky217

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Real1shepherd

Some saw models don't have that gasket. I always go by what the IPL shows unless there's a known error in it.

Kevin

Al_Smith

Unless my memory has failed i don't recall ever seeing a gasket on that style of air filter on any saw .Then again I haven't seen them all .

tim in New York

No -  no gasket there. Just tighten the filter against the carb.  Have had my 028 for almost 40 years and it still cuts like a demon.  Good idea to clean that filter off every time you fill the tank - those old ones get dirty quickly.

Tim

Real1shepherd

I'm not sure what you meant by "that style of air filter", but the 2100 has one. Can't speak for the Squeal line of saws though.

Kevin

Al_Smith

On  my 2100CD I have no idea what the original was .It's a west coast saw with a ram tube and a K and N filter sitting atop a large bore Tillotson model HS carb. Evidently a popular west coast thing in the day. Being rather a novice on Husqvarna saws I have no idea if it's been enhanced or not .Just know it has a lot of power . I've got a top cover and a nylon filter but no gasket I remember of .Some place I have the IPL .Maybe that would solve the mystery if I can find it .----but on the 028 Stihl  there is no gasket .

Real1shepherd

The Swedes did a really good job on getting air into the 2100 air box. The 'high velocity' stack filters came from the loggers going up in the Mt.St.Helens blowdown. But up there they were oiled foam filters, quick to access and change/service because of the ash particulates.

In actual tests, and there have been many, there is no real advantage in performance over the standard filters in the 2100/2101.

IPL's for the 2100/2101 are all over the Internet. The gasket is part #501 29 64-01 unless it's been superseded.

Kevin

Al_Smith

I tried it with the regular filter with a cover . It takes shorter bolts than the v-stack .I'm not sure if the v-stack adds much to it or not .I just leave the v on with the K and N all the time .I seldom use that saw because it's seldom I get any wood  large enough to warrant it .That old Swede will get with the program, have to admit that .

Thank You Sponsors!