The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Saw Shortage!  (Read 5178 times)

Offline forcemac

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Saw Shortage!
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2021, 02:27:05 PM »
I had been waiting for dealer to get his 395xp summer stock since feb.  By the time we got to late april, i changed my mind and went ahead and special ordered a 3120, it came first week of July.  Dealer is still waiting for the 395s and was surprised the 3120 came in before the 395s.

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2021, 10:33:44 PM »
I had been waiting for dealer to get his 395xp summer stock since feb.  By the time we got to late april, i changed my mind and went ahead and special ordered a 3120, it came first week of July.  Dealer is still waiting for the 395s and was surprised the 3120 came in before the 395s.
I wouldnt have been surprised at all. A 3120 doesnt seem to have nearly as many positive attributes as the 395 has. Typically a non adjustable high-speed jet being 1, lower RPM also, heavier too. And for what price differenceI ask that last one because I dont know.
Trying harder everyday.

Offline Greenhighlander

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2021, 05:11:55 AM »
I wouldnt have been surprised at all. A 3120 doesnt seem to have nearly as many positive attributes as the 395 has. Typically a non adjustable high-speed jet being 1, lower RPM also, heavier too. And for what price differenceI ask that last one because I dont know.
When I bought my 395 I also priced a 3120 and it was $500-$600 cad more then the 395 if I remember right .

Offline Real1shepherd

• Share Post
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2021, 02:31:06 PM »
I wouldn’t have been surprised at all. A 3120 doesn’t seem to have nearly as many positive attributes as the 395 has. Typically a non adjustable high-speed jet being 1, lower RPM also, heavier too. And for what price difference…I ask that last one because I don’t know.

When I bought my 395 I also priced a 3120 and it was $500-$600 cad more then the 395 if I remember right .
Jump on the 3120 for permanent milling! Saw model has been around forever, you can mod the carb to have both HIGH & LOW speed jets as it should be. You can also get a 'unlimited coil' from places like Bailey's. Seems to be a fair number of 3120's around that haven't been thrashed yet. Somebody's eyes/ego were bigger than their muscles......

With HIGH & LOW speed jets and the unlimited coil, you'll have a force of nature for milling.

Kevin

Offline snobdds

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2021, 11:05:47 AM »
A point of reference...from my saw shop.  They had on the shelf:

1 Husky 3120
1 Husky 372
1 Husky 572

2 Stihl 500i
1 Stihl 461
1 Stihl 661 non mtronic.
3 Stihl 261
2 Stihl 201

Lots of others, but those are the only ones I really notice.  Things seem to be back to mostly normal. 

Online Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2021, 01:26:27 PM »
Local box store had some Husqvarna saws on display, I was surprised they had one with the word professional on it, it was a 545 Mark II (not sure where that falls in the husky pecking order). I also noticed that it had a tag on it that said "38cc  $349.99" maybe I should have bought it but I mentioned to the store employee that it was probably the wrong tag so she looked it up :o it was suppose to be 50cc and $799.99....... well I hope I don't get punished for my good deed.

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2021, 02:41:40 PM »
Local box store had some Husqvarna saws on display, I was surprised they had one with the word professional on it, it was a 545 Mark II (not sure where that falls in the husky pecking order). I also noticed that it had a tag on it that said "38cc  $349.99" maybe I should have bought it but I mentioned to the store employee that it was probably the wrong tag so she looked it up :o it was suppose to be 50cc and $799.99....... well I hope I don't get punished for my good deed.
The 38cc would have been the 120 mark ll I believe, I have this one, good little saw lol Yarmouth Canadian tire? 
Building the land of my dreams.

Online Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2021, 08:31:55 PM »
Brilliant deduction Hemlock. ;D

Offline Real1shepherd

• Share Post
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2021, 12:25:15 PM »
Unfortunately, I didn't save the link because I don't own a 3120, but on AS there was a thread about modifying the 3120 Walbro carb to take an adjustable HIGH needle jet.

There was a guy doing it for a decent price. But as these things go, another member took one of his modified carbs and posted pics of how he thought the carb was modified....without permission of the guy doing it. There was the usual drama and a firestorm erupted on his ethics for doing that.

I sorta take the side of the guy doing the mod......why show all the detail of his work if he's not charging that much? Kind of like giving away the farm as they say.

The guy doing the mod never complained, but his friends sure did. I can't find the thread now....but it's still up I suspect. I probably shouldn't link to it anyway, since it's another saw forum....even if I had it. But I could pass on the name of the guy doing it.

Kevin  

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2021, 01:04:33 PM »
Unfortunately, I didn't save the link because I don't own a 3120, but on AS there was a thread about modifying the 3120 Walbro carb to take an adjustable HIGH needle jet.

There was a guy doing it for a decent price. But as these things go, another member took one of his modified carbs and posted pics of how he thought the carb was modified....without permission of the guy doing it. There was the usual drama and a firestorm erupted on his ethics for doing that.

I sorta take the side of the guy doing the mod......why show all the detail of his work if he's not charging that much? Kind of like giving away the farm as they say.

The guy doing the mod never complained, but his friends sure did. I can't find the thread now....but it's still up I suspect. I probably shouldn't link to it anyway, since it's another saw forum....even if I had it. But I could pass on the name of the guy doing it.

Kevin  
Kevin, you have made a good etiquette choice. 👍
Trying harder everyday.

Offline Real1shepherd

• Share Post
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2021, 03:19:12 PM »
Randy(mastermind) for those of you that know him....he does this mod and the unlimited coil for the 3120. He's so busy though, I suspect you'd have to wait forever.

Also, Husky used a couple of flywheels in the 3120 iteration. Depending on which you have, it may not be plug and play with just an unlimited coil and the Walbro carb mod. Really need to talk to someone knowledgeable who knows their 3120 lore. I do not....just always fancied owning one.

And then there was a thread I found about using a 272 coil that would just require a minimum of fitment issues and give you 'unlimited' status.

Kevin

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2021, 09:07:34 PM »
have done tons of 3120's , the 272 coil works the best but you need to time the flywheel , If you got a older 3120 that had the black coil you got to move the flywheel alot , if its the green coil the flywheel is fairly close to the proper timimg . But remember the 3120 has a very weak con rod so any high rpms and rod will break, that is why most use the stihl 084 rod when building a race 3120 , very strong rod

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2021, 10:19:25 AM »
buddy went looking for the stihl light weight bar and found none , I know heavy stihl oil is hard to find as well but I got lots , alot of stihl dealers have the  MS 461 on their shelves but nothing else so I guess this is one way of getting rid of the old 461 they had sitting around , couple dealers are saying no more new saws till 2022 , I see the GMC dealer thou had gotten I think 5 pickups in but I'm sure those are sold 

Offline Outofbounds

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2021, 03:34:43 PM »
Took delivery of the 395xp yesterday!

Time to break her in and get to some long put off remote milling.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2021, 04:39:53 PM »

Out of curiosity is your 395 made in Brazil?
Local dealer here has one in stock, says made in Brazil on the sin# tag.
I sold my 2008 395xp I bought new a while ago , it was made in Sweden.
Great milling saw.
Keep checking for loose screws.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2021, 06:48:44 AM »
Hey Willard! 395's are all made in Brazil. Been that way for 2-3 years now.

395's were slated to go away when the 585/592 chassis arrives, but they will be sticking around another year or so as an additional model to help meet demand.

I've had a dozen of them on backorder a LONG time, as in since January 21st! Glad that outofbounds got his; and hoping I'll see some soon myself. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline Greenhighlander

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2021, 08:07:45 AM »

Congrats on the new saw !!!
My 395 was made in Sao Carlos Brazil in 2019.  Have only had one cover bolt come loose so far. 

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2021, 08:12:25 AM »
have done tons of 3120's , the 272 coil works the best but you need to time the flywheel , 
A side note on that. FWIW a 272 coil is a perfect replacement for a P100 Partner coil  that OEM are almost impossible to find .I would not be surprised if that coil could be adapted to other brands and models plus after market is inexpensive .I personally don't know the success rate on modifications but from the view point of a restorer some times you have to think outside of the box and some times you just plain get lucky . ;D

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2021, 09:57:27 AM »
Hey Willard! 395's are all made in Brazil. Been that way for 2-3 years now.

395's were slated to go away when the 585/592 chassis arrives, but they will be sticking around another year or so as an additional model to help meet demand.

I've had a dozen of them on backorder a LONG time, as in since January 21st! Glad that outofbounds got his; and hoping I'll see some soon myself. :)
Thanks Bob, that's what I figured but wasn't sure.
For milling the 395 carb mount screws were coming loose so I Loctited them, but then I was milling in very cold temperatures which may account for the problem.

Say, have you heard if Husqvarna is still manufacturing the 272XP in Brazil?
Sure would be nice to get a new one of those, even though they still may be detuned compared to the Swedish models.
Easy enough to soup them up a little.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2021, 07:39:45 AM »
Yes to the 272XP still being made in Brazil. Along with the 61, the original 372, and even the 288. Maybe the 346; and a few others. Would sure like to be able to order from that warehouse! LOL 

395's spit hardware. Just the nature of the beast with them. You really have to check all the bolts and snug them up regularly. Almost NONE of my customers ever do that though. Even after several trips to the shop for hardware problems. Too busy they say.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Grits Shortage

Started by Sixacresand on General Board

149 Replies
Last post April 04, 2020, 11:10:19 AM
by sawguy21
xx
chainsaw shortage

Started by ohsoloco on Chainsaws

5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2004, 11:52:32 AM
by ScottAR