iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 359 leaking oil

Started by caveman, August 01, 2021, 05:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Our venerable 359 has developed a significant bar oil leak.  Yesterday I pulled the clutch and oil pump off, cleaned everything and pulled out the tube that goes to the oil tank.  I inspected the oil tube and did not see anything that would indicate it was bad.  After watching a video I put some gel superglue around the o-ring part of the tube and reinstalled it.  It still leaks a lot.

I am open to suggestions.
I just looked on line and found replacement oil lines.  Is this the probable source of the leak?  If so, I'll just replace the line.
Thank you, Kyle.
Caveman

Spike60

The oil line is usualy the culprit with the 357/359. Not something taht you can see by looking at it. At some point they added a couple of ribs so it seals better where it goes into the crankcase. But sometimes, just from getting old they will lose their seal. Be sure to get an OEM oil line. The aftermarket rubber parts are generally pretty bad.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

caveman

Thank you for the advice.  I will order one and give it a try.  Do you recommend any permatex or anything else or just install the new line into the crankcase?
Caveman

Spike60

I've never put anything on them myself.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

caveman

Thanks, I'm sure you have done many more than I ever will.  
Caveman

caveman

It has been quite a while since I have tinkered with the 359.  I replaced both of the oil lines with OEM.  When I pour oil into the tank, it does not just leak, it flows out.  It is not visibly leaking around the hose seals.  Is the next thing to inspect the case seal? 

I bought a pto side case half several years ago and replaced the broken original.  The saw worked as it should for many years.  It still runs well but will not keep oil in it.

This is no longer one of our regularly used saws, but I'd like to have it right and available.  Thank you for point me in the right direction.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!