iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

262xp 254 Flywheel interchangeability?

Started by Old-Feller, April 11, 2022, 04:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old-Feller

262xp 254 Flywheel interchangeability?

Hello, I am trying to find the ignition problem I am having, And I am about out of ideas. I have an older 262xp saw that was a basket case and it looks beat. The cylinder needed replacement as it only had 70psi compression and had a large gouge in the cylinder wall. The saw was in a box with an old repair estimate at the bottom from 2005 that said "Spark Locked" I have replaced the cylinder and it will not fire at all. The old coil showed weak spark, So I replaced coil and still even with squirting gas down the carb, Carb cleaner, starting fluid etc. No sign of firing. I have pulled the flywheel to look for a sheared key, Looks good. The part number for the flywheel is 503 08 80-01W Which from what I can find is for a 254, Is the 254 and 262xp the same? Or do they interchange?

Spike60

First off, that's a bad number; doesn't come up as anything. Correct number is 503 529 401. 254/257/262 do all share the same flywheel. But it is NLA from Husky. 

Never heard of a "sparked locked" saw ???

Question has to be asked is are the top end and coil Aftermarket? 262 top ends have been NLA for a while now, but the OEM coil is still available. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Old-Feller

Thank you for the reply, I was hoping either you or Weimedog would answer. I searched all over for a good cylinder and all I could find is cheap after market cylinders. I did find a Meteor piston and caber ring. I saw a used cylinder for $250.00 and there is no way I am going to pay that much for something that may be worn out. The coil is aftermarket. There is another number inside of the flywheel That reads: LM 503 08 79 V2. So I am thinking this has the wrong flywheel on it. I watch a lot of the videos you guys are in and I have learned alot. Anyway the other basket case 262 I got running and that is the best saw I have because the biggest saw I had prior to that was a 455 Rancher. I also got a basket case 268 when I got the other 2 saws and I have a new meteor cyl kit for it. But I didn't want to rebuild that saw until I got some experience with the other 262 first. I think I am going to try another flywheel since the number you gave does not line up with either number that's on the flywheel I have, Thank you.

sawguy21

That is a casting number, not a valid service item. Any variation using that casting will have it. What Spike60 said.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!