iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

266 oiling out the clutch cover

Started by David B, September 24, 2022, 05:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHansen

Well I looked at a 61 and a 261.  I should have looked at these first.  I just looked at my 266 thinking the photos from that would be helpful.  The oil vent hose is stiff like a straw, not very flexible at all.  It connects to the vent hole near the bar mount studs inside the oil tank.  Just press fit into the hole.  The other end is put above the oil cap hole.  At about the 1:00 o'clock position.  This area traps that end of the hose at the very top of the oil tank.

DHansen

David B

Yep. I have mine bent around towards the front of the saw now. Not sure that's right. 

I filled the oil res up just to the cap opening, covering the oil pickup but not up to the vent hose port. Ran the saw no bar n chain and oil only came out the oil channel. I need to try it with more oil. Had to go do a roadside rescue tonight. 

The early 162 vents through a smaller cap. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164650750302

Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

Spike60

I'll post the part number later this morning, but those vented caps are NLA from Husky. And I'd be surprised if there are any aftermarket alternatives. Be careful buying stuff from the e-bay'ers.

OK, story time. Ain't this the most fun Husky/Jonsered chassis? Not saying it's the best, but over the years I've grabbed these saws far more than the 372/2171 that replaced them. The fun part comes from sorting out these variations on the projects, or even creating your own. 61 white top with 266 P&C, 266 with 272 kit. Thought Jonsered should have had a 52mm version and corrected that injustice by putting a 272 kit on a 625 to create the should-have-been "672".

Have a 266 in the shop right now I'm nursing back to life. Had been running a flock filter, minus the flock. Absolutely nothing more than a window screen. Customer let his son take this, along with a 254 and 372XT to a local small engine course the county puts on. The list of errors was a long one. The 254 had no clutch spring. LOL I know both father and son, so I'll find this kid a couple projects to mess with so he doesn't have to experiment on his Pop's saws. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

Why was it only leaking when the saw was running?  I would think tank oil level would have also affected the leak from the vent hole.

Spike60

Part number for that cap is 501 564 101
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

David B

@DHansen I need to retest full of oil.

@Spike60  good stuff...I think I've mentioned the 272 I'm going to build...should be a nice, fun, little different saw.

I will say my ported 2166 stomps a hole in my 266...which is the reason for the 272 build. 
Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

Thank You Sponsors!