iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What was your favorite chainsaw of all time and why

Started by motohed, May 08, 2016, 08:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Quote from: motohed on May 10, 2016, 09:37:51 PM
Man , if we could buy no ethanol fuel in RI , Thast why I run aviation fuel in all my saws . It's a hundred octane and remains so at 12,000 ft . LOL ! Yes I have paid as much as 5.50 a gallon , but what is your saw worth to make money . You can leave one set for over a year and it will Start as good as the day you stopped using it , I know , I had back surgury just over a year ago and did'nt get the go ahead from the Dr for 15 monthes . Now they are talking 15% ethanol in the US . No saw will run for long on that . I know there are states that have no ethanol fuel , but not RI .

Have you tried marinas in your area? They often have non-ethanol gas. You can also try pure-gas.org, though they don't show many options for non-ethanol gas in RI right now.

I'm a pilot, and have easy access to AvGas, but I won't burn it in my saws. It's a leaded gas, and the exhaust on a chainsaw is just a bit too close to where I'm breathing for me to feel comfortable using it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

gspren

Back in the 80s-90s my wife's relatives were local Stihl dealers, and they recommended and gave me a good deal on my 044. So far after trying friends saws of all the major brands I've still never felt another saw that just felt "Right" like the 044 does.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

HolmenTree

I still have my first original 1989 044AV  (10mm)
Next winter project doing a complete restoration on it.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

sandsawmill14

i run the ethanol blend in all my saws and in the mill and everything else and i cant tell a difference other than a little better gas mileage in my truck when i tried the pure gas but not enough to justify the price difference only about 1 1/2 miles per gal more :-\ BUT my equipment DOES NOT SIT and i suspect my luck would change if i was letting it sit around without using for months at a time :) far as my saw goes some days i will burn 5 gallons of saw gas and some days i wont even burn a full tank but it will be run at least 6 out of 7 days year round :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Hermio

Old thread, I know. But I just bought a new Stihl MS500i, so I was curious. I think hte 500i will be my favorite, based on performance (fast, but with a wide torque band so it has no problem in big wood). It is also light and narrow. Time will tell on reliability. Up till now, my favorite was my Stihl MS441C, which wore out. Prior to that, I had a Stihl 038 Super, some kind of little Echo saw for limbing, and before that, I had some model of Remington. I just do firewood, so usually I run a 20" bar, though I have a 25" in reserve if I need it. But I cannot lift stuff that big, so I would only need it to get a larger tree bucked for moving it out of the way.

Real1shepherd

Necrothread and subjective. Depends on the actual usage and even how you acquired it, price paid, provenance etc. Sometimes people inherit a saw and take it to heart, warts and all.

For me it's the Husky 2100, then the Jonsereds 80(bought one completely rebuilt and hopped up over 40yrs ago) and then the Jonsereds 90. And last but not least the Jonsered 2094. I don't have enough time in with the Jonsereds 910 to make a judgement call yet.

All pro saws and pro application. YMMV.

Kevin

snobdds

My first and favorite is the Stihl 361.  It's the perfect saw in power and weight.   My second is the Stihl 461.  I don't run it as often, but it's got to be one of Stihls best made saws ever. 

JJinAK

I actually think this is a good thread.  I'm not 100% sure how liking something can be subjective- you either like it or you don't....

I have a non-CM 362 that is my favorite.  It has the best power/weight feel of anything I've run, but in fairness to the Husky brand, I've really only run Stihl.  I would like to try a couple the Husky or even Jonsered models.

Now, I will also add that my favorite saw to hate was also a Stihl.  I was an 18 year old greenhorn working in the early 80's, and my boss had an old Stihl 051.  I've driven Buicks that were lighter.  Took about a 1/2 hour to start.  It was an absolute horse.  I was using it for bucking and limbing, and it was our backup falling saw.  Our main faller guy got a brand new 056 Super, and I remember thinking that saw was the bomb.  It only weighed as much as a Ford Pinto.
MS461
MS362

421Altered

My second, but favorite saw is my Stihl 024 that I bought new.  I still use it almost weekly.  It's compact with a 16' bar, so it fits neatly in my cross span tool box in my truck.  So, it's always ready to use.  If it hasn't been cranked for a while, maybe a month or more, it will need 3 to 4 pulls to fire it up.  I use it for about 95 percent of what I do.  

John Mc

Quote from: JJinAK on July 02, 2021, 11:33:08 AMI actually think this is a good thread. I'm not 100% sure how liking something can be subjective- you either like it or you don't....

Well, liking it or not is pretty much the definition of subjective:
"subjective adjective - based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions."
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sawguy21

Quote from: JJinAK on July 02, 2021, 11:33:08 AM
I actually think this is a good thread.  I'm not 100% sure how liking something can be subjective- you either like it or you don't....

I have a non-CM 362 that is my favorite.  It has the best power/weight feel of anything I've run, but in fairness to the Husky brand, I've really only run Stihl.  I would like to try a couple the Husky or even Jonsered models.

Now, I will also add that my favorite saw to hate was also a Stihl.  I was an 18 year old greenhorn working in the early 80's, and my boss had an old Stihl 051.  I've driven Buicks that were lighter.  Took about a 1/2 hour to start.  It was an absolute horse.  I was using it for bucking and limbing, and it was our backup falling saw.  Our main faller guy got a brand new 056 Super, and I remember thinking that saw was the bomb.  It only weighed as much as a Ford Pinto.
I had to laugh. :D I started working in a Stihl shop in 1975 and probably saw more 051's than any other model because that is what most of the loggers ran. You are right, they weighed almost as much as a small car and like the last girlfriend were high maintenance. The 075 was worse, I hated them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Real1shepherd

Quote from: John Mc on July 02, 2021, 11:52:17 AM
Quote from: JJinAK on July 02, 2021, 11:33:08 AMI actually think this is a good thread. I'm not 100% sure how liking something can be subjective- you either like it or you don't....

Well, liking it or not is pretty much the definition of subjective:
"subjective adjective - based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions."
^^^This!

Kevin

Real1shepherd

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 02, 2021, 12:30:14 PM
I actually think this is a good thread.  I'm not 100% sure how liking something can be subjective- you either like it or you don't....

I have a non-CM 362 that is my favorite.  It has the best power/weight feel of anything I've run, but in fairness to the Husky brand, I've really only run Stihl.  I would like to try a couple the Husky or even Jonsered models.

Now, I will also add that my favorite saw to hate was also a Stihl.  I was an 18 year old greenhorn working in the early 80's, and my boss had an old Stihl 051.  I've driven Buicks that were lighter.  Took about a 1/2 hour to start.  It was an absolute horse.  I was using it for bucking and limbing, and it was our backup falling saw.  Our main faller guy got a brand new 056 Super, and I remember thinking that saw was the bomb.  It only weighed as much as a Ford Pinto.
I had to laugh. :D I started working in a Stihl shop in 1975 and probably saw more 051's than any other model because that is what most of the loggers ran. You are right, they weighed almost as much as a small car and like the last girlfriend were high maintenance. The 075 was worse, I hated them.
I started out with an 075. Then an old faller who was teaching me, put an early production Husky 2100 in my hands. I wanted to throw the 075 in a deep lake.

Kevin

lxskllr

My 2511t, cause it's always there. It lives in my truck, and gets pulled out to modify stakes or make some quick cuts. It'll hang fairly comfortably off my pistol belt, or go up a tree on my saddle. Starts easily, and runs reliably. If it disappeared right now, I'd have another one before I got home from work today.

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on July 02, 2021, 01:31:00 PM
Quote from: sawguy21 on July 02, 2021, 12:30:14 PM

I started out with an 075. Then an old faller who was teaching me, put an early production Husky 2100 in my hands. I wanted to throw the 075 in a deep lake.

Kevin
I don't have the hands on experience with a lot of saws But I had a bad experience with a new 034 Stihl back in 95 and ended up trading it for a new Husky 262XP in 96. Gotta say that thing has been a rock star and still is to this day. That said, since starting my collecting hobby the big cube saws are the ones that have taken the focus and desire. 394's, 2100's 185, 181SE etc. Top shelf stuff and once fired up, just nice to listen too! :D 
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

ButchC

Mine will get a snear from most but one must realize what I was forced to use prior. Grew up on a farm and Dad had a gear drive David Bradley and an assortment of used junkers that caused more trouble than good. Cutting wood was a dreaded chore with that assortment of junk. Dad passed too early and after that on one glorious day I ran over the David Bradley with the truck. The co-op had a saw shop and sold Macs. Demoed a 610  and bought it. That saw is still here. The 610 Macs certainly are no saw board favorite but they sold them by the truck load around here and it's amazing how many are still around. They had reasonable power, started easy and oiled the chain. I still like the sound of mine and use it now and then,, funny how it doesn't have amazing power any longer,,,, now that I have a 461 and a 660 ,LOL
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

sidehill6

first pro saw was an O51 stihl, graduated to the O75 then  jumped ship to a husky 2100 and never looked back!!!

Real1shepherd

Quote from: ButchC on July 03, 2021, 06:33:25 AM
Mine will get a snear from most but one must realize what I was forced to use prior. Grew up on a farm and Dad had a gear drive David Bradley and an assortment of used junkers that caused more trouble than good. Cutting wood was a dreaded chore with that assortment of junk. Dad passed too early and after that on one glorious day I ran over the David Bradley with the truck. The co-op had a saw shop and sold Macs. Demoed a 610  and bought it. That saw is still here. The 610 Macs certainly are no saw board favorite but they sold them by the truck load around here and it's amazing how many are still around. They had reasonable power, started easy and oiled the chain. I still like the sound of mine and use it now and then,, funny how it doesn't have amazing power any longer,,,, now that I have a 461 and a 660 ,LOL
Great story about my provenance theory and what you started cutting with, warts and all. Easy though to jump ship when something better is put into your hands. But with a lot of folks, the 'better' never happens and blind loyalty sets in..... 8)

Kevin

PJ65

In the mid 80s I broke in on the landing with the bosses 056 Stihl.  What a pig. Ended up getting a Husky 181 which was lighter and cut circles around the 056.  I still have an original 266 from the mid 80s as well.  A backup to the backup.  My favorites are my 288 purchased in late 80s and that old 266.  Running a 372 now and just bought a 550 yesterday for thinning projects.  Will see how it works out.

sawguy21

I started out with my dad's Mac 15, that saw was more trouble than it was worth and soured me on two strokes. I got into small engine repair and went to work in a Stihl shop, got to really like the 041 Farm Boss. We also sold Frontier and that became my favourite, light simple and reliable as gravity. I still have the last incarnation, a Husky 35.

Real1shepherd

When I went to work for a gold mill in CO as a journeyman mechanic....I was fresh off of loggin'. We needed a saw for clearing and making some roads right at timberline. Trees weren't very big.  I made us buy a little Husky. No way was I bringing my saws to get trashed by others.

For life of me I can't remember what model Husky it was, but it was all orange and not a white top. Bought about 1981. 22"-24" bar I suspect. Tough saw and yes, they tried to destroy it. I was only there on day shift, so swing and graveyard had access to it. Some nitwit tried to retune it....had it way too lean. Caught that in time.

Kevin

Greenhighlander

My favorite saw is whatever I am using at the time . If I am using it , it means it is running, and a working saw is all I desire.  

dougtrr2

Stihl MS200T top handle.  Love the balance, power and ability to easily use it one handed (not recommended by Stihl)

Doug in SW IA

sawguy21

That set the standard for arborist saws, others tried but never came close. You are right, one handed operation is NOT recommended. :o

customsawyer

I won't say it was a favorite because of the weight. I started in the early 80s with my dads 050 Stihl. I think it weighed close to 25 LBS before the bar and chain were added. It did seem to out cut the 051 he bought next. The next one he bought was a 044. I almost chunked it over my shoulder the first time I picked it up.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!