iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What was your favorite chainsaw of all time and why

Started by motohed, May 08, 2016, 08:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacotodd

I'll just take my 372xp xt all day. I started with a box store all yellow (I think it was a Mac), sold it, bought a Husqvarna 351, it died after 18ish years. Now I have that 372! What a dream. Definitely can't complain.
Trying harder everyday.

thecfarm

I would have say Efco 152. I won it right on here!! Not the favorite because it was free, but it solved my shoulder pain. I used a 372 Husky for years, Shoulder hurt so bad I would roll over on it in the night and wake me up. Spent a chuck of change on that shoulder running to the doctors to found out what was a matter with it. So after a few months of using a smaller saw, that Efco, my shoulder started to feel better. Took me a while to come to. I never realized that 372 was causing me all that trouble. I still use the Big saw to cut down the tree if the trees are good size and cut up the logs. But for limbing and small trees I had that small saw in my hands. It did die on me last year, the part that ran the chain, broke clean off. I bought a 450 Husky to replace it, another light saw.

free saw    8)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I am not a "chainsaw" person.  To me they are tools and I just want them to do the job that needs doing.  My first two saws were Homelite XL12's

and I still have the scars from 18 stitches on my upper arm proving why chainsaws should have a chain brake, especially when you hit some hidden fence wire.  Shortly thereafter I parked both of them.

My handiest and most pleasant saw to run was/is a Stihl 028AV even though it now lives at the farm.

The bitty MS170 loves to do trim work and the MS 362 (not C-M) gets er done at the sawmill.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Canuck123

Quote from: motohed on May 08, 2016, 08:57:10 AM
I will start by saying I had Three . Number 1 is the early 90's version husqvarna 262 xp 4.8HP in a 12.4LBS package , It would out cut the 268Xp hands down in 18" wood and under all day . I still have a dozen of them in near perfect condition that run everyday . I ahve amased enough parts to make them out live me . Number 2 would be the early husqvarna 372xp's great for bigger wood and you could get them with the 72cc cylinders . Number 3 was the husqvarna early 357xp's , a carb change made them run almost as good as the 262xp's .   8)
Have a 1995 357 xp its my go to middle weight saw !  :) however Pioneers put firewood in the shed . P-61 , 11-60 & P -20. Made in Peterbough Canada in the 60' s .
Nothing like the Smell of Motul in the Morning !

DHansen

My all time favorite would be my 266xp.  My first saw that I bought new.  Still have it and still use it.  Not my biggest nor smallest, but just right for my firewood needs and storm clean up.  Not too heavy.  Always easy to start, when needed easy to work on.  Maintenance is easy and parts have been available.  So it's a complete package for me, and MY favorite saw.

barbender

My favorite saw is typically my newest one, which right now happens to be a Husky 562xp.
Too many irons in the fire

stavebuyer

Another Homelite XL-925 fan. My first saw when I started logging. Saws are much improved but I really miss the manual oiler pump on the old 925. Todays saws all have issues with longer bars and dry ash.

HolmenTree

I was seriously looking forward to buying a new Stihl 500i, but last year I got side tracked when I found a 1988-'89  Stihl 044 with only a few tanks through it. :D
Three years ago I sold my old worn out 1989 044 and this new 044 sure brings back good memories of its power to weight ratio of 71cc and under 13 lbs.

This year in my tree service the 044 only cuts hardwood, the old 562XP cuts the sappy wood like spruce, balsam fir  and pine. I favor the crisp throttle response of the 562 but has way less power and heavier then the 044.
Last year my 1989 Stihl Canada branch manager Steve Meriam who recently retired as Stihl USA's national sales manager and prior was their product research and development manager said the earliest 044AV and 500i share a razor edge comparison of power to weight ratio.

Top handle saws I have owned a couple of 35cc Stihl MS200T but my favorite is my old Husqvarna 39cc 338XPT New Edition with a muffler mod.
Great little ergonomic high P to W ratio saw.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

YellowHammer

My most nostalgic saw is my old Stihl 028.  I cut more than a couple trees with that one.  I still have it but it hasn't run in years.  I bought a carb kit for it and even that's been in its box for years.  Even if it ran, I probably wouldn't use it anymore.  

My favorite right now is a toss up between my old Stihl 661 and my brand new Stihl 500i, although when I reach for a saw, my hand just seems to keep picking up the 500i.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

donbj

Aside from getting into the collecting aspect with saws and leaning to the big CC saws as what does it for me these days, my favorite is my 262XP I bought new in 96 and still runs strong and reliable. I'm not a professional logger or such but have done a lot of cutting and this saw stands out for me.

I am getting some favorites within the collection though for sure!
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Al_Smith

I'm not really "brand loyal " and have many brands .I suppose of all saws my favorite is a Stihl 038 magnum .While some say they are heavy I disagree as I'm 73 years old and even at not be as strong as I was at 30 they don't bother me .Reliable ,easily modified with plenty of power even in stock form and still with plenty of parts both OEM and after market available .

weimedog

Think I always go back to the Homelite 925 series, 562/555 series. Now maybe the 372 to push the 920's aside. Just have too many good experiences. Think that is a sign of age and pain. Loved the big iron, hurts too much to run them for long now.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

hawkins111

Spike60

The best stories in this thread are the saws that go back some years to saws that may not measure up to well to all the new stuff. But they were what you had, and that's what you ran, and they got it done for you. 

I've posted this somewhere before, and nobody would guess this one, but for me it's a Solo 651 Pro. Had to sell my first budding saw collection 25 years ago when I got divorced. Business was only a couple years old, and like many shops, we started with second tier brands when we opened up. Solo, Olympyk, Dolmar. It was the year we got Jonsered and 2 more years until we got Husky. Sold the saws that would bring the most cash, and of course that meant the larger ones. Sold about 20 saws and the one I wish I still had was the Olympyk 970. And obviously in hindsight, it would have made sense to also have a larger saw. But the reality was, and still is, that 50cc's can get it done for most guys. 

Kept the 651 for firewood, and it was my main saw for about 5 years until the "collection infection" returned. Also kept a similar Solo 644 as a back up, but hardly ever ran it. The 651 did 95% of the work. A bigger tree and off came the 16" bar for an 18". Always thought it was a comfortable saw to operate, handled great even though by today's standards the anti-vibe isn't that great. Power about like a 51 or 350. Still got it, and still run a tank or two through it every year. And as it was the only saw I ran for those 5 years, I'm sure it will forever be the "run time" champ for me, because I'll never put that much time on any one saw again. 

Still hoping to run across a nice 970, but I kind of got the last laugh: The mint and NOS saws in my collection are upstairs in the walk in closet where she used to keep God knows how many pairs of shoes.   8)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Woodfarmer

Would have to be my EHP 2159. Just a great all around saw. Fell, buck, limb, it does it all.

sawguy21

Interesting you should mention Olympic and Solo. I think I might have ever seen one Olympic in the almost 50 years since I started in this racket, Solo sprayers were popular with the orchardists but the supplier didn't carry saws. Apparently they built the 47 and 54 for Homelite, good saws for the weekend warrior/farmer/orchardist but they weren't around long.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Real1shepherd

Like that pro, big cc saw that Dolmar had. Nothing at all wrong with it.....just came out at the end of large scale PNW loggin' and found no market. Disappeared almost as fast as it came out. Heck of a saw, but oh well. I think somebody figured its piston would fit a Jonsereds 111S Holy Grail saw with some minor modification.

Speaking of which....I have  111S in a box with two pistons and two jugs. I'm to take the best of the lot and install. Not on the top of my to-do list as I suspect the late 60's design of the 111S is not going to knock my socks off....at least compared to a 2100/2101.

I paid a lot more for that saw than Don did on his recent 2100 beauty. I had to have one....regrettably.

Kevin

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on August 25, 2021, 09:26:10 PMSpeaking of which....I have  111S in a box with two pistons and two jugs. I'm to take the best of the lot and install. Not on the top of my to-do list as I suspect the late 60's design of the 111S is not going to knock my socks off....at least compared to a 2100/2101. I paid a lot more for that saw than Don did on his recent 2100 beauty. I had to have one....regrettably.

Open up that box and maybe you'll fall in love with it all over again:)

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on August 25, 2021, 09:36:55 PM
Quote from: Real1shepherd on August 25, 2021, 09:26:10 PMSpeaking of which....I have  111S in a box with two pistons and two jugs. I'm to take the best of the lot and install. Not on the top of my to-do list as I suspect the late 60's design of the 111S is not going to knock my socks off....at least compared to a 2100/2101. I paid a lot more for that saw than Don did on his recent 2100 beauty. I had to have one....regrettably.

Open up that box and maybe you'll fall in love with it all over again:)
But that's just it....there is no attraction....yet. I got caught up in all the pseudo hype of the Internet about that saw. I never watched a YouTube vid on that saw working that impressed me. On the contrary, they seemed slow to rev and their WOT speed was slow like you would expect from a 60's saw. No doubt the low-end torque is there in spades......or should be.

I'm told they make superlative milling saws. But you've got ZERO parts support. Good luck with that....I've seen 'collectors' wait yrs to find parts on that saw.

Kevin    

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on August 25, 2021, 09:42:47 PMI've seen 'collectors' wait yrs to find parts on that saw.

Maybe you can get your money back in parts

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on August 25, 2021, 10:02:11 PM
Quote from: Real1shepherd on August 25, 2021, 09:42:47 PMI've seen 'collectors' wait yrs to find parts on that saw.

Maybe you can get your money back in parts
I've watched this model sell for yrs & yrs on eBay. I could probably double my money for a running saw with a vid or close to triple my money to part it out....in this case piece by piece. But I courted the seller for a very long time and feel like I'd be cheating him to part it out, ethically. I'm sure he'd be OK with it if I sold it running, but I didn't like the saw itself.

Kevin  

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

Al_Smith

As far as obsolete parts for anything you might wait decades for them to show up .One example I can think of is the cylinder head for a 1940 Caterpillar D4 7J series .90 bucks to buy it and 90 bucks to ship it from Maine. fleabay .That was over ten years ago and I still haven't installed it . :D

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Spike60

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 25, 2021, 08:23:35 PM
Interesting you should mention Olympic and Solo. I think I might have ever seen one Olympic in the almost 50 years since I started in this racket, Solo sprayers were popular with the orchardists but the supplier didn't carry saws. Apparently they built the 47 and 54 for Homelite, good saws for the weekend warrior/farmer/orchardist but they weren't around long.
Olympyk never did that great anywhere. Had some presence in the markets where Tilton was strong with Jonsered. Some Jonny dealers signed on just so they could get the 999. (103cc). Other dealers were mostly those who couldn't get one of the top lines. Jonsered was certainly one of the top brands back then; equal to, if not better than Husky or Stihl in many markets. Have to wonder why Tilton ever bothered messing with Olympyk when they already had the Jonnys. 
The saws were like most second tier brands of the time. They worked fine for general use and firewood folks, but always lagged behind the top brands, so the pro guys never warmed up to them. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!