iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lt40 finally home/problems

Started by Ocklawahaboy, January 12, 2013, 10:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocklawahaboy

Well, about an hour after pulling in with the lt40, I couldn't wait any longer and fired 'er up.  Battery that came on it is kinda worn out so I just put a charger on it.  Clamped in an old piece of cedar to practice on and made a couple of cuts.  Blade was traveling up and down through the wood so I'm assuming I need to put a sharper one on tomorrow after church.

Main problem is that the switch that moves the head back and forth is giving me fits.  Reverse works fine but forward is in and out.  Could that be caused by the weak battery?  The spring that looks like it is meant to keep the switch from sticking in forward is stretched out and useless but even when I would take it off and hold the switch in the forward position, sometimes it would move the head and sometimes not.  Reverse always works.  I would cut the motor off, fiddle with the switch, get it working and then start back up and have no forward.

I also suspect the speed control is shot because I only have the one speed forward and reverse.  It's a nice medium speed so I'm going to leave well enough alone on that one for now.  No matter where you set the dial it is the same speed.  Other than that, all seems well.

I was hoping not to buy a new battery right away but I may not have a choice. 

drobertson

A good battery is worth the expense. next is a good blade.  You might have to do some tweaking on the alignment. no worries, take you time, it will work.   Glad it is at least running!  Let us know, someone will have answers if you need help.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

jcbrotz

Pop off the sawdust covers on the track and lube up everything real good and make sure the rollers are free. If they are sticking then you will get some jerking from them but should be in both directions. Did you get the manual for the alingment procuder?  At minimum check the blade for level to the bed and make sure your blade rollers are in good health. Hope its not the mofset board but sounds familiar. Best of luck with your new toy,ERR tool ;D
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Ohio_Bill

Congratulations on the Mill, from you description I would not try to saw anything until you get the speed control bugs worked out.  Not to worry lots of help here and not to mention Woodmizer tech support. You will have it up and operating in no time. What year is it? There are a couple of different types of speed controls set ups. Also a pretty large amount of current goes through the switch and they need to be maintained.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

T Welsh

Ocklawahaboy, Test it out and find out how it works,note the problems with it and then tear it down and fix all problems. These mills are totally rebuildable and adjustable. If you look into each problem you will see other things that need attention while you are there. Getting to know a new machine can be challenging, but its the best way to get to know it. New battery is a must,new blades are a must. As for the speed control,pop the cover off and clean the contacts on the drum switch and then try it. If that doesn't help,call tec. support get it registered in your name and explain the problem to them. Sounds like a rheostat but there are many other issues that have to be eliminated before slapping costly parts at it.Good luck,Tim

Chuck White

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on January 12, 2013, 10:20:21 PM
The spring that looks like it is meant to keep the switch from sticking in forward is stretched out and useless but even when I would take it off and hold the switch in the forward position, sometimes it would move the head and sometimes not.  Reverse always works.

The switch is supposed to latch in the forward position.  You shouldn't have to hold it there.

Check to see if your "feed" drum switch is making contact with all of the contact fingers as you rotate the handle.

If it's not making good contact at some points, be careful about bending any of the fingers, they will snap off real easy!  Don't ask me how I know!!!  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jdtuttle

Ocklawahaboy,
When I bought my 1992 LT40HD several years ago the first thing I did was have woodmizer tech guys go through it & replace worn parts & align it. They let me help & I learned alot about the mill. If your not close to a dealer they have a crew that travels. It was money well spent.
Good luck with the new mill,
jim
Have a great day

wwsjr

I would highly recommend the service plan on site by a WM Tech. Cost and services are based on hours on mill. WM website shows service route to be in Florida and Georgia during February. Mill will be up to factory specs when he completes service and the information you will receive is priceless. Service can be scheduled by calling WM customer service.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Ocklawahaboy

Charging the battery seemed to help my feed problem.  The speed control seems to have dead spots in it so maybe is an aging potentiometer.  Nomad stopped by and really helped me go over the mill and pointed out some things that needed to be cleaned/replaced.  We found some things, namely a belt that seems to serve no purpose that neither one of us knew what it did.  It just hangs there, by the feed motor. 

I've got some work to do but I think it's going to be a good mill.

Many thanks Nomad!

Ohio_Bill

Problems with the drive chain and cam bearings can disguise them selves as speed control issues. With the mill turned off you should be able to push the head down the track with very little effort . Also you can take the belt off the drive motor and see if the control is changing with out the load on it .  How was church ?
Bill
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on January 13, 2013, 02:09:32 PM
Problems with the drive chain and cam bearings can disguise them selves as speed control issues. With the mill turned off you should be able to push the head down the track with very little effort . Also you can take the belt off the drive motor and see if the control is changing with out the load on it .  How was church ?

Nomad suggested some cleaning and bearing replacements to help the feed. 

Church was good.  A friend that left 4 years ago to teach at a Chinese university was back visiting and the youth pastor says he's going to bring the boys out to see the mill when it's all set up.  Part of a "Man Up" series he's going to do.

Ohio_Bill

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on January 13, 2013, 02:32:08 PM
Quote from: Ohio_Bill on January 13, 2013, 02:09:32 PM

Nomad suggested some cleaning and bearing replacements to help the feed. 

Church was good.  A friend that left 4 years ago to teach at a Chinese university was back visiting and the youth pastor says he's going to bring the boys out to see the mill when it's all set up.  Part of a "Man Up" series he's going to do.

You know Jesus grew up with a intrest in wood .
I watched this the other day its off Woodmizers Web site .

http://www.woodmizer.com/us/ResourceCenter/VideoCenter/SawmillsMakingaDifference.aspx
Bill

Ocklawahaboy

I had read a bit about woodmizer's philanthropic work and how missionaries were using the mills. 

I milled a few more board this afternoon.  Not perfect but better.  Bearings definitely need some work.  New blade made a world of difference. 

Going to have to do something about the battery.  Right now I have to cut with the charger attached which means I can only do about 8 ft and have to mind the wires constantly.

thecfarm

I'm only wondering,know nothing about what is on a LT40 for contollers,sensors,boards,readouts, ect,but playing around with a low battery could something be fried?? Don't want to do any damage to it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ocklawahaboy

In theory it could.  That's why I kept the charger on it.  I just had to cut a couple of pieces to get my fix.  It will be shut down for the next week or so while I get things worked out.

MartyParsons

Hello,
Just a guess on the forward feed belt?  (Belt hangs down) Does it have high speed Return?
It would be an early LT40
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Ocklawahaboy

There are a couple of different pullies on that motor but the "extra" belt isn't on a pully.  It is hanging from the shaft, right against the motor casing.  I assumed it was so that I could change my speed range.  I've got more reading to do in the manual so maybe I'll find out.  Nomad said he thought that mill was from the first year of production.

Nomad

Ocklawahaboy, it was nice to meet you!  And your mill may need a bit of TLC, but I think you can get it up to speed just fine.

Josh was told his mill is an '82.  Not gonna be much electronics in it to fry.  I don't believe his speed control is hooked up.  There is a pair of 3 sheave pulleys connected to the feed drive, giving him a choice of 3 speeds depending on which grooves the belts are in.  Another pulley loose in a sheave on the bottom, but just around the shaft at the motor end.  No sheave at the top.  I got no idea what that is there for.  Maybe the 3 step pulleys were installed to replace a bad speed pot, and that is the original pulley?
     I suggested to Josh he call WoodMizer this morning and spend some time on the phone with them discussing his mill. 
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

scully

I would take a scotch brite pad and clean the power strip until it is shiney copper ,I would also change the drive belt mine had a notch worn right in it when I bought my mill . Are you useing the forward reverse controle to start your feed etc ? I use the speed controle only ! except for reverse obviously . I don't think you have to big a problem there just some long overdo service issues . Wish I could help more but this is my 2 bits worth.......
I bleed orange  .

Ocklawahaboy

I keep reading about a power strip but I'm not sure what it is.  Perhaps my mill is too old.  There is just a 12v battery with wires running to the engine and various motors. 

My speed controll decided to start working yesterday evening.  Perhaps there was just some surface corrosion in there from lack of use.  I set it on a nice slow speed and, yes, I have been using the forward/reverse lever to start my feed. 

Every time I touch the thing I learn something else about it but the most expensive mistake I've made so far is dulling a blade.

Bibbyman

Is your mill hydraulic or manual?   If manual, it will not have a contact strip.  If hydraulic, the strip is on the main rail opposite the hydraulic box.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ocklawahaboy

Manual mill. 
Thanks for the clarification.

trapper

My mill also has the 3 place pulley Should be another on the other shaft the belt goes on.
Gives 3 different speed ranges.  Having only 16 horse I use the slowest range.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!