iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garbage can tow dolly?

Started by Brad_bb, Today at 12:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

My house and my mom's house are far from the start of the driveway at the road, where we will be getting garbage pick up by the end of the year.  Right now we still have a dumpster for our construction.  Anyhow, we're going to need away to get the garbage cans up to the road.  I'm thinking something like a Tow Dolly pulled behind a side by side (Ranger).  With a tow dolly there's no axle but only spindles on either side.  The garbage cans would load between the wheels (2 of them).  If I build it, the tongue would be shorter than the car one so it would be closer to the sxs.  Has anyone ever seen anything like this commercially?  I can't find any such thing on the web.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

RetiredTech

I never thought about a tow dolly for the garbage cans. We just throw the can in the back of the side by side and run it out to the main road. I'd be interested to see what you come up with. The cans do get heavy sometimes. Maybe something lightweight and easy to move around with bicycle or motorcycle wheels? Keep us posted.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

aigheadish

My driveway is about 300 feet long and one of the improvements I've thought of making with my similar style cans is to add rubber or pneumatic tires, instead of the incredibly noisy and bumpy and gross plastic ones. 

I've dragged a can with an open car door, just once, as I'm afraid the can will knock into the car, though it didn't the time I tried it. If I had a vehicle I cared less about I'd just do that but only for one can.

If I went with a trailer I think I'd be inclined to use just a simple bar that you can hang a few hooks on and maybe a strong bungee or rope to hold the cans closed. Maybe that depends on the driveway material too... Mine is gravel and quite bumpy, it's not uncommon, at walking speed, that my can wants to twist and turn and fall over. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Big_eddy

What about one of those platforms that mount in a trailer hitch receiver on the back of your sxs? And a bungee cord if the road is bumpy or you drive like Villeneuve.

YellowHammer

We use our forklift these days, it'll do two at once with a strap to keep them from falling off down the 1/4 mile driveway.  What about your tractor FEL?  I used to just lift up using the loader bucket teeth, putting in the open gap of the handle lid hinge.  My tooth spacing was about perfect for that.  Drive up, lift up, drive off.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

If they are full, they can be heavy to lift, and might spill paper and such.  can you make a little wheeled platform and attach it to the can, so you just hook on.  if you have several cans at different locations, you could make a hitch pin on the back, and hook them together and tow in tandem.  A little trash train.  Woo woo!   ffcheesy

I think a bit of square tube and angle with a simple bolt for an axle would work.  maybe even reuse the wheels.  it will have to be small as they use a lift on the trash truck, and this may be why this will not work.  may have to set it off.  seems like a small trailer would work without too much fanfare.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SawyerTed

Seems like there's a hundred different types of trash can hitches.   Some handle two cans.  A hitch type drawbar would be easier than dealing with hitching a dolly every week. 

Upgrade the axle and tires on the cans and tow with a short tow bar.   It would be pretty simple to build a T type hitch attachment for two cans.  

Seems like that would be less work than fabrication of a dolly. 

Or a hitch hauler with ramp.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

JJ

This was posted by another FF member as a log arch.  I forget who but I though was genius idea..

Thank You Sponsors!