iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone experiment with alternative energy?

Started by Danny_S, December 12, 2005, 09:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxedo_2000

It is a really nice one. They can be very big. I saw a photography of one 35 feet in diameter !
Tox
Toxedo
Why walk when you can fly

Corley5

That is really  8) 8)  Talk about remote  :o :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Gunny

crtree:

Ever think of building yourself a dome or Pod?  Extremely strong structurally and very easy to heat/cool (just be sure to build those vents big and high!)

I was building domes in west-central Michigan back in the mid-'70s and hope to let my youngest four help with another one this coming Spring.  I learned so much from those first few.

If you can ever find it, look for the old (from the mid-'70s) text called "Shelter".  Some of the most beautiful photos of what is called a "Pod" which is finished on the exterior with rustic shaking are displayed in it.  Prettiest wooden housing unit I've ever seen. 

Both are low-cost and relatively easy from the owner-built approach.  We had an octagonal window at our breakfast nook in the first one, with huge triangular skylights all over the place.  Cost us less than $2,000 back then, complete.  I can just imagine how nice either of them (dome or Pod) would look in that setting!

Best with whichever choice you make!

Rockn H

Tuxedo, that's a nice looking hydro setup you've built.  We've been trying to come up with some sort of hydro power for our camp, but the river we're on just doesn't have enough flow except during flood stage.  I really enjoyed the pics.  Keep'em coming. :)

toxedo_2000

You could see it in action. Just go to my web site at http://www.tuxedoproductions.com/page4.html
It is a Quicktime film I did when I installed it.
Toxedo

A senior moment.... I had posted that link before
:( :-\  smiley_old_guy
Toxedo

Saki

Man there has been some great stuff on this thread. Thought I would throw my little dab of knowledge in. Onewithwood and anybody else interested, there was an advertisement in one of my recent Mother Earth News magazines for a biodiesel generator kit. If I remember correctly, it could make 40 gallons of BioD a day with approximately 1 hour of hands on time and for a cost of 60 to 70 cents a gallon. Fuel was supposed to be usable for trucks, tractors, heating oil, kerosene, etc. Hang On... Found the ad is from Biodiesel solutions www.makebiodiesel.com Phone 877-358-6400. I generally like a lot of stuff from Mother Earth - gardening, forestry, alt energy, etc. I do think sometimes the get a little bit further out there than I am comfortable with, but are a good resource and they have had LOTS of alternative energy articles in the last couple of years. Lots of Luck

PS great photos of the Beaver aircraft. Got to take in the Canadian Bushplane Museum in Sep 05. It was amazing to me to see all the history and technological changes over the years. One of the most amazing facts I remember was that of the 1600 or so beavers made, over 1200 of them are still in service somewhere in the world. Was well worth the trip to The Soo to take it in.

toxedo_2000

Quote from: Rockn H on December 16, 2005, 01:36:56 PM
Tuxedo, that's a nice looking hydro setup you've built.  We've been trying to come up with some sort of hydro power for our camp, but the river we're on just doesn't have enough flow except during flood stage.  I really enjoyed the pics.  Keep'em coming. :)

Do you have a significant elevation ? Or an important current on the river ? Some systems I saw are kind of floating devices with a propeller like the old steam boats, (you know these big wheels heach side, I dont know how to name it in english). It is a bigger installation tough.
Tox
Toxedo

crtreedude

Actually - teak thinnings under 8 inches are often nearly free - like 25 cents each. They make great fence post and log cabins! You aren't looking for anything particularly wide since insulation means nothing.

I like to keep it really simple - then I don't have to build it!

I want a cabin down by our river so bad I can taste it - right after the peacock bass pond!

So, how did I end up here anyway?

twistedtree

My house in VT is 100% solar.  It's a 200 year old farm that never had power until a few years ago when I installed solar.  It cost about 1/2 what running in power lines was going to cost.  In situations like this, solar is a no brainer.  I hope to add a small hydro system in the next few years.  We have lots of water in the winter, but very little sun.  Then summer is just the opposite, so the two systems would complement each other nicely.

wesdor

twistedtree,

I'd be very interested in more details about your solar system.  We just finished a passive solar home and would like to consider active solar if we could find a system that is cost effective.  The down side is that we have electricity at the site already, but we would be willing to look at other alternatives.

So far it looks like the cost of electricity each month will only be about $30, but that is only after 1 month of living there. 

theonlybull

nice setup there tux.     how do ya like yer r44?  nice birds,  friend of ours just picked on up this summer, dang nice for a piston powered chopper...   my old man's got a rotorway exec, with 500 hours on it now  8)
Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
machine work and welding

toxedo_2000

Thanks theonlybull
I like the R44 Astro a lot. I could not find best for the money. I had it for more than 6 years. Just sold it tough. But I bought a new one, a R44 Raven I, and I'll pick it up at Torence in the middle of march.
I love it so much, I had it in my living room with my woodmill

Just kidding. It is the living room of my little shop in my hangar. :D 8)
Tox
Toxedo

Coon

Very nice system toxedo. 8) 8) 

I have been thinking more about the solar system that we are going to be putting in in the spring.  I've been thinking that since we have so much wind (about 6 out of 7 days) that I should put up atleast 1 wind turbine that shouldn't be too hard to build.

Do you have any more pics and could you describe in some detail on your wood heater that is shown in your pics.  Loookssss interesting........  :o :o ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

toxedo_2000

Quote from: Coon on December 18, 2005, 12:10:17 PM
Very nice system toxedo. 8) 8) 

I have been thinking more about the solar system that we are going to be putting in in the spring.  I've been thinking that since we have so much wind (about 6 out of 7 days) that I should put up atleast 1 wind turbine that shouldn't be too hard to build.

Do you have any more pics and could you describe in some detail on your wood heater that is shown in your pics.  Loookssss interesting........  :o :o ;D

Thanks coon
If wind is really not a problem, a wind turbine is for sure the solution. The solar is expensive, and to pull the best of it, you need to have a system that automatically orient the panels where the sun is at his best. That system is more expensive than the panels  :o :(
What pic of a wood heater are you talking about ?
Tox
Toxedo

Danny_S

Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Ernie

Wow Toxedo, what a great set up thanks for all the pics, you've done a terrific job with your camp.l
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

toxedo_2000

Toxedo

Coon

Sorry Toxedo.  I forgot to put which one because I didn't realize that you had so many until I just reread the whole post.

And thank Donny S.  I will check out those two links soon.  One can never have too much info on these different alternative energy practises.

Coon

Sorry Toxedo.  I forgot to put which one because I didn't realize that you had so many until I just reread the whole post.  The one that I was interested in was the one in the kitchen pic.

And thank Donny S.  I will check out those two links soon.  One can never have too much info on these different alternative energy practises.

Danny_S

I think this will be my winter's project  I think...

http://www.otherpower.com/17page1.html

This would be a great project. Would anyone here happen to know where I could get some of those rare earth magnets? I know computer hard drives have them but they are not a good shape, they are ususally kinda C shaped in a HDD.
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

etat

QuoteWould anyone here happen to know where I could get some of those rare earth magnets?

Ebay has a bunch of them for sale.   :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Ianab

QuoteWould anyone here happen to know where I could get some of those rare earth magnets?

You can buy practically anything on the intenet  :D

http://www.wondermagnets.com/cgi-bin/edatcat/WMSstore.pl

Magnets 'R' Us ?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

toxedo_2000

Quote from: Coon on December 18, 2005, 08:31:03 PM
Sorry Toxedo.  I forgot to put which one because I didn't realize that you had so many until I just reread the whole post.  The one that I was interested in was the one in the kitchen pic.

And thank Donny S.  I will check out those two links soon.  One can never have too much info on these different alternative energy practises.

OK, That stove is a regular wood stove, except it is made of tubes welded together. It form a wall in winch the air is warmed. If you put a fan at the bottom, the air ejected will be very hot. But, is it better than a regular low combustion ? I dont know. I did not make that stove, a friend gave it to me 20 years ago. I dont think you can find it any more, it is from the seventies period, you know that period we had long hairs, and some people smoked funny tobacco ? :D
Tox
Toxedo

Bill

Toxedo

Neat stuff - you did a great job !

Bill

toxedo_2000

Toxedo

Thank You Sponsors!