iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 311 Not Cutting Like It Used To Cut

Started by GaTrapper, January 09, 2017, 06:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaTrapper

Hey Y'all,

A year ago I purchased a Stihl 311. It would really rip through the wood without a problem. I would sharpen the chain when needed and never had an issue.

Lately, it's been cutting slower than normal. I don't know if my chain is getting worn out or what. This is the second chain I've had in the past year.

What can I do to diagnose and fix the issue?

Texas-Jim

First thing i tell everyone who complains about saw not cutting. If saw is running good but not cutting, check the chain. Is the angle right? And often forgotten did you or who ever sharpen it do the rakers? Even a sharp chain wont cut if rakers are too tall.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

thecfarm

Hard to say. A chain,chainsaw,should really go into the wood with just the weight of the saw. I mean,the chain should draw itself into the wood. A chain that is sharpen correct,you should be able to hang onto the the rear handle and it should draw into the wood. This is not a safe way to run a saw either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GaTrapper

Went back and checked the rakers. There were a handful that needed a quick touch up. Would that have a major affect on the cutting?

JW IN VA

What method do you use to file?Check raker? Stihl and Oregon have gauges you can easily check raker height with.If its been cutting well and stopped, you probably need to file the rakers or use a new file on the teeth.Had one of my saws not cutting right for  very long after filing.Got out a new file and fixed the problem.
Sure is nice when the saw is taking itself into the log.

thecfarm

A few more things,puting the bar in a vise when filing? Are you hand filing? Using a gauge?It took me a few chains to understand what I was doing wrong. Finally I just took a big log and kept filing and sawing and remembered what I did if it was better or worse. Did not have much left of that chain,but I got it.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DelawhereJoe

Does the chain wobble from side to side in the bar, the cheaper bars go bad faster and cause your saw to cut funny or not to cut much at all.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

ZeroJunk

Put a new chain on it and see if that puts it back to normal. Not many people including myself can sharpen a chain to cut as fast as a new one.

If that doesn't seem to help check your compression.

ladylake

For sure try a new chain
Rakers have to be taken down after maybe 3 sharpening's
Check the muffler screen, if clogged that cuts power a lot.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!