iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wool Is King!

Started by Walnut Beast, January 18, 2023, 02:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Oh my!  A jacket from that Weatherwool is just north of $800!
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

DonW

Laken also known as Baai, woven, trimmed and brushed wool. no longer manufactured that I know. In the place I got them they say washing will take the Sunday out and they can no longer be worn in church - a kind of kin to Amish folk.

Of the wool items I have some are old some new. The old is corse of corse but far better than the new.

R
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

SawyerTed

Wool is one of nature's wonders. 

About the only wool garment I can stand is wool socks when hunting.   Otherwise, wool clothing is too warm for 360 days of the year.  I have a wonderful sweater I can only wear on the coldest days outside.  

As mentioned previously, silk is nature's other wonder fiber.  Wool over silk is as warm as it gets.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

thecfarm

swampdonkey, that coat is beautiful!!! 
Nice job on the lining too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

When I played Little League ball in Va. the town recreation department provided uniforms, they were wool.  This was back in the late 60's / early 70's.  I really did not like those uniforms as they were scratchy and hot!  Now I am sure they lasted and lasted.  By the time I got to the next level of league there were more comfortable uniforms.  

In the past when I was back packing and now on some workdays, I wear a poly sock underneath wool socks to help wick moister.  

Walnut Beast

Depends on the weight and a few other factors. For example woolpower that I have comes in a lite, 200, 400 and 600. I guarantee you could wear this wool it is luxurious! The feel it has against your skin is incredible. Sweden made and not cheap

https://woolpowerus.com/

Walnut Beast

Oh my!  A jacket from that Weatherwool is just north of $800!

And did you notice they are sold out. Everytime they are able to make a production run they are sold out. Especially the Anorak( That's what I have). Ralph was the biggest dealer in the country for King of the Mountain Wool. He was owed big money and had to take things to court to get settled. He started his own company WeatherWool  and invested a substantial amount of money painstakingly keeping everything made in the US. I guarantee their bottom line they are not making a lot on each garment when you add in the cost of everything from the wool to the materials and processing. I haven't talked to Ralph  in a long time but You could say I don't know what size Anorak that's 625.00 to get and he would send you two when you payed for one and send the one back that doesn't fit. Any problems or your not happy. Money back! The whole family are absolutely honest good people that have worked very hard to make a absolutely superb product 100% made in the USA. People like that are hard to come by and I hope they are and deserve to be doing well. When I had talked to him a few years back he was having difficulty in getting the special processing to the special tailors and the cost to do all of that stuff was running in the six figures. Quality comes at a price. Most of the high quality items last a lifetime, hold or increase in value.

SwampDonkey

Just for perspective, I can guarantee that coat I made is an $800 coat. Good weaving wool (not knitting wool) is not cheap. Plus all the time invested in weaving and construction. ;) Even a 'cheap' light weight, unlined,  Big Bill's wool jacket will run over $200. When you make a lining it's like constructing a shirt without a collar and pockets. My pockets are lined as well. Nowhere as heavy a coat as mine and it is also not a -30 below coat. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Walnut Beast

That coat is absolute eye candy and if it was 2X I would buy it in a heartbeat!!!

Walnut Beast

After Ralph from WeatherWool started making the Anorak and people on the history channel and other shows were wearing it I noticed other companies are trying to copy him. I've had several high dollar big name ones that were geared towards hunting. The two were 
. King of the mountain 
 Sleeping Indian 
Here is a picture of the popular STANDMASTER I had until I made WeatherWool my go to

twar

Knitting with wool yard has a looong tradition in Scandinavia. My dear wife knits and she knitted this sweater over 30 years ago. This is my go-to winter sweater. (It currently smells like campfire smoke.) It has been repaired a couple of times in 30 years, and it should last for another 30.

Walnut Beast

Sedgehammer

I had several silk lined shirts made years ago. Best shirts I ever had. I hate to wonder what they'd cost now. The wool was from Oregon. Famous name, can't think of it now

I use wool socks year round. Over the calf, otherwise they fall down to me ankles. Heavy weight. They help cushion my back. Feet only sweat a little
Necessity is the engine of drive

trapper

I have been wearing Hollow brand alpaca socks.  They are made in the us  and to me seem durable 2 pair lasted me a year wearing them every day.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

JD Guy

Quote from: Sedgehammer on January 19, 2023, 10:13:49 AM
I had several silk lined shirts made years ago. Best shirts I ever had. I hate to wonder what they'd cost now. The wool was from Oregon. Famous name, can't think of it now

I use wool socks year round. Over the calf, otherwise they fall down to me ankles. Heavy weight. They help cushion my back. Feet only sweat a little
Would that be Pendleton? I have a couple of their wool,shirts and they are fantastic!

SwampDonkey

Standfield's makes the white wool underwear for going to town in, and the grey heavy kind for work'n in. I Have some of the heavy stuff I bought almost 30 years ago still in use. I have 2 sets unopened on reserve. I have 2 sets of the white unopened, and one I use on cold winter days going to town in an 18 year old car. Never know. ;D

Forgot to mention my wool cap with shearling wool ear tabs, 'trucker cap'.  Crown Cap makes them on order. The real thing, not fake stuff. ;D Winnipeg, Manitoba company.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

nopoint

Pendleton is one of my favorites. Happened to be wearing a wool shirt as I read this. Used to travel for work and would stop and visit thrift stores. Have about 6 Pendleton's all purchased $6 or under... a couple like new. Imagine that some one died and their unappreciative heirs brought all their old junk to St vinnys. When I die there will be plenty of old junk but the Pendleton's will be wore out! 
Knowing a bit about weaving, I'm very impressed by the coat swamp donkey!

Walnut Beast

Made in Italy and high end! Sometimes it doesn't pay to be tight!!! I've been looking at EBay on different wool garments and I really messed up on this coat I wanted!! The lady didn't have a best offer on this Vintage Beretta wool coat so I sent a message that I would buy it for 110 bucks. When I should have and almost paid the full price. This coat was very high end in it's day! Probably around 800-1,500 years ago. By the time I sent the message in less than 24 hrs it was gone! Everything the lady carried was ultra high end garments. But she was really off on the price on this full wool coat that's like new and not a blend. I'm still furious I didn't buy it!!!  

Walnut Beast

You probably didn't know this you axe lovers. The same company that makes the finest wool under garments Woolpower also makes the finest axes

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/sister-companies/

dogone

Someone mentioned King of The Mountain. I bought a railroader hat from them at a show in Richmond.At the time they custom made everything. Best hat I ever had. Wore it for 10 or 12 winters. It almost was see through. On my third and probably last now.

SwampDonkey

One of my Pendeltons, made in Mexico now.

One of my Vyellas, this is a cotton and wool blend. Made in Canada.

Woolrich I think is gone now, it went to China and India. The quality went into the gutter is why they failed. I've seen their stuff in late years. Pass. In my grandparents day it was a quality manufacturer. I do have a pair of their wool pants of quality, it's not from Asia either. :D

SwampDonkey

My Johnson wool coat made in Vermont, USA. It's a Oct-Dec fall coat, not real cold weather. ;)

Walnut Beast

Thanks for sharing! Very nice looking!!

brianJ

Quote from: 21incher on January 18, 2023, 01:03:11 PM
Beautiful jacket. I am an unlucky one that can't wear wool. If it touches my skin for some reason I break out in a rash almost like poison ivy. I don't  think it's an allergy because they are caused by breathing in allergens but just a skin reaction from the fibers. I was always cold when I was young because there weren't good alternatives back then.
I dont get a reaction but bare wool is uncomfortable.   I wear a Tshirt under my Dale of Norway sweater which is getting close to 30 years old

Walnut Beast

There are many types, grades and weaves of wool from silky smooth you wouldn't even guess it's wool to sandpaper type

Thank You Sponsors!