iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak log with black ring on butt

Started by Warren, February 02, 2007, 07:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LT40HDD51

Man, all we have to deal with around here is red oak, pretty much  :). I'm always amazed at the species of hardwoods down there, never heard of pin, water, willow or laurel oak. A year or so ago I drove from Indianapolis to somewhere in Kentucky, and was amazed at the hardwoods in the ditches and between the fields :o. Not used to seeing the all-hardwood stands, most of our forest is quite mixed. Around here the only hardwoods we have are hard and soft maple, yellow and white birch, oak (red), ash and poplar, for the most part...
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Warren

WDH,

I would appreciate some additional help / training / tutoring on ID'ing the various type of trees in general and oaks, specifically.  I bought the Audubon tree book for the Eastern U.S.  I cut one tree in December that looked kinda like a laurel oak in the pictures.  But the book indicated north central KY was outside the native range.  Next closest pic was a Shingle oak.  Had the unlobed leaves that you mentioned in your previous post.

According to the Audubon book there are maybe 24 flavors fo oak native to the Eastern U.S.  Other than picking "white oak family" versus "red oak family" I would have a hard time differentiating 24 different species / varieties....

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

WDH

Sure Warren,

Let me think about how the best way to do that.......  We could set up an "Identifying the Oaks" post and go thru it in some detail if there is enough interest.  Otherwise, I could work with you off the Forum.

What do the rest of ya'll say, any interest in an "OAK ID" post?  (if it has not already been done :-\).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

To me, it sounds like a good idea for the forum to have such a thread. Consider the good technique and pics Swampdonkey has already posted of his work.

Certainly will have some good critique from da members on what you post, and that will serve to make it better. Hope you decide to do it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Yes, I need to collaborate with SwampD on the best way to do it, and also, so others can get involved.  It should be fun.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

BBTom

I would be interested in the identification thread, too!

I think the black ring may indicate when a fire (or flood, etc) damaged the tree.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Ron Wenrich

Here's a tree key that the National Arbor Day Foundation has developed.  You can work your way through it to come up with a species.

http://www.arborday.org/trees/treeID.cfm

Here's a tree key from Iowa State that seems useful.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Pages/tree/key.html
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Warren

Ron,
Thanks for the links.  I ran thru both of them for the tree I cut in December.  Both led to Shingle Oak which is consistent with the Audubon guide.  Interestly, the Iowa link got to the answer much faster.  But the Arbor Day link appeared much more thorough.  Hmmm...

WDH,
I am willing to be a guinea pig either on Forum, or off.  Guess I am going to have to start paying attention to the details when I am in the woods.

I appreciate everyone's input so far on this thread....

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

treebucker

I didn't see laurel oak on those sites. A few days ago I was looking into shingle oak and several sites listed laurel oak as another common name for shingle oak, while other sites listed laurel oak as a distinct species.

I like the idea of having a good oak id page. I like side-by-side comparisons that show the most obvious clues to look for in sorting out the look-a-likes. I'm often confused by what seems to be the same picture/drawing being used to id different species within the group. This problem is compounded by seeing counterdictions from site to site i.e, Shumard on one site looking like black on another, black looking like bur, etc.). There simply doesn't seem to be enough accuracy and distinction.

Here's a sample of a decent side-by-side comparison:
http://www.mntca.org/Reference_manual/Tree_info/tca_oak_comparisons.htm
But this site does not cover all the species that grow here in Kentucky.

I'm also having similar problems sorting out hickories and maples.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Ron Wenrich

One thing to remember is that the same tree differs throughout its range.  That includes the quality of the lumber as well as the way it even looks.  Then there is also the problem of what a tree is named in one area is different in another.  Poplar is a very good example.  Sometimes things just look different on better sites as compared to a poor site.

We've had some good examples of pin oak as lumber and some really bad examples of pin oak.  The same can be said for black oak.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!