iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stackin???

Started by cpm, April 12, 2004, 06:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpm

I was wonderin ::) ::)....I'm in the process of sawin up red and black oak for a pole barn (board and batten siding) we plan on putting up this summer. What are the draw backs of not stickerin and just stackin for a few months? I was thinking the less dried the oak is the easier to nail (although it will be heavier). This is for our own use and not a customer so if the boards had some stains on them it wouldn't matter. we will probably use a solid stain when we are done. Any drawbacks or benefits to goin the stackin route?
Thanks
cpm

beenthere

Besides the stain, only/maybe some mold and slime (black, ugly stuff) would start growin between those boards.  
8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

FrankA

Any risk of the boards splitting after being nailed up green and shrinking while drying out?

pappy

most definitely they will split if you don't dry first :(

With hardwood (and most any wood) the rule is --from the stump--to the saw-- to the kiln ASAP.

Like most of us we don't have a kiln so stack WITH stickers in a drafty barn (shade is the key here) and put a fan to the stack.

it would be easier to nail green but you'll have cracks so either predrill for your nails or use an air nailer.
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

DanG

Can't think of any benefit to stacking without stickers, but lots of drawbacks.  You're gonna get mega mold, the black, sticky kind that Beenthere mentioned.  You will likely lose the boards that form the outer surface of your stack, due to uneven drying. The inside boards will end-check, since the only part that can dry is the end.  Take a few extra minutes to place stickers, and you will have a much better project.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I believe a "few" months of flat-stacked red oak will produce some rotten wood.

Either nail it up green and take your chances or sticker it and dry it.

Thank You Sponsors!