iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homey goes to Georgia

Started by Fla._Deadheader, April 03, 2004, 05:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

On Monday morning, this past week, we took Homey on his first REAL road trip.

We stopped over at Tom's to spend the night and catch up on all the gossip.

Tuesday, we took off and arrived in Cochran, near Macon Ga., around 2:30 in the afternoon. One way mileage is over 500 miles. ::)

Our X-partner was finally dropping some Pines and we set up and started sawing, around 4PM. By 6 PM, we had over 400 feet on the trailer, + stickers.

Next morning we started sawing and Rickie (X-partner), starts hauling logs to us. At the end of 20 hours of sawing, over 2½ days, we had 5580 bdft of 1X and 2X stuff, from 8'-16' piled up on trailers and the shop floor.

Rickie would haul the logs and pressure wash them. All we had to do was load and saw. Yup, surprised us, too.  That's a LOT of sawing !!!

Them Ga. boys want everything sawed. :D :D :D

Here's Ed and Rickie with a pile of sawdust that the wind did NOT blow away.

As Tom posted, we had a photo shoot of 3 mills lined up. Here's an idea of how much bigger Homey is, compared to a WM LT 40

AND, for all Y'all that keeps asking, "How do I get sawing jobs", we had to turn down a couple of jobs, including A Beam Supplier, that has trouble getting someone to saw his Beams, up to 20' long.

We were in a local Choke & Puke, stuffin groceries down our necks, when this couple walks in and says, "That y'all's Sawmill" ??? (Does it show that bad) ???    YUP. Lookin for work  ??? Nope. WELL, I NEED somebody to saw some beams. Got Pee-cans also ::) ???  Sorry.   Are ya SURE ??? ???  YUP

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Minnesota_boy

I hear ya on the work.  I was in a nice restaurant wearing my Woodmizer jacket when the guy 2 tables down comes over.  "You do custom sawing?"  Sure, but I'm 150 miles from home and I don't travel that far to saw.  "Too bad," he says, "I've quit doing the custom sawing and I need someone to send people to."  

he was 100 miles from home and was looking for someone, anyone that would take some pressure off.  It must be hard to quit.  :'(  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Tracy

Wish I had that problem. My work has fallen to  near 0 the last few months. No one hardly wants to saw up thier trees-just fire wood it and let it rot. I have a mill & edger with a DH kiln and milling capabilty but no customers. The last 2 years has been a slow decline and I cant figure out how to get around it.People would rather go to Home Depot or want to pay less than the cost of raw material for something. I just dont get it. I do good sawing and the only complaints I've had is blue stain in pine but thats out of my control. I show them how to properly stack the wood and help them any way I can. I even supply my own off loader all for 20 cent a bf. ft. for soft woods. I advertise and place cards. What am I doing wrong?

DanG

I dunno, Tracy. ???  Maybe you need to start dragging your mill to the coffee house. ::)

Hey, I'll be passing through your area next week. Sure would be neat to stop by, if it turns out to be convenient for you. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

Oops! I may have put my foot in my mouth. :D  I read "Waynesville" in your profile, and was thinking Waynesboro.  Waynesville don't even show up on my map. Where are you really at?  ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tracy

I'm about 15 miles west of I95exit 29 halfway between Bruswick and Nahunta.

Tom

.........a little piece of the country that we call Plumb-nelly :D

woodhaven

FD,
If you ever start having any problems with your mill repaint it to Ford tractor blue. That should fix everything.
Richard

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Ga_Boy

Did ja ever notice there aint many used Cehvy/GMC trucks fer sale.  People get'em and never let go.

Now on the other hand, FORDS (ouch, that hurt to type that word) are dime a dozen.

Now if you really want to fix somethin mechanical use CHEVY (Ahh, thats mo better) orange. ;)
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Tracy

No Chevys for sale? thats 'cause chevy owners think its supposed to have the motor replaced at least once a year anyway. :-/
  A Ford for sale is 'cause the owner is a Chevy guy at heart and couldn't find a good reason to replace the motor after a decade of abuse ;D

Stan

There are more Fords than Chevys on the used truck market, cause more fleets use Fords. The IRS forces you to sell 'em after deprecation.  
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

ScottAR

Run whatcha got...  'nuff said...  :)
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Ga_Boy

That is one way to put it Scott.

For me I run what I can afford. ;)
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

sandmar

Fla DH
If you had run straight up I-75 another FEW miles....about 40 north of Atlanta....you would have been right here at my place.

Can't believe you got that close and didn't say hey ;D

Maybe next trip?

Sandmar

Fla._Deadheader

Sandmar, that was a mission impossible that we pulled off.

Don'T feel too bad. I got a brother outside Atlanta, and didn't see him either. ::)

C'mon down fer the Swamp Shindig and we can visit for a spell ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

sandmar

Remind me again about the shindig........getting old ya know......when and where? Would love to meet Homey ;D

Sandmar

Tom

It's South of Palatka Fla, April 16-17-18   Just a couple of weeks ;D

The thread is in the topic "shows and places to meet" down below.

This link will take you to it.
https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=events;action=display;num=1073077878 :)

sandmar

Thanks Tom
I will check it out!

Sandmar

Thank You Sponsors!