Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DelawhereJoe

Im am interested in figuring out what Jeff posted...looks intesting
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

WDH

I believe that you are right, Delaware.  Blackgum, probably even tupelo given the size of the leaves. 

I believe that Jeff's tree is a heavily top-pruned american elm.  Top of leaf surface should be smooth.  If red elm or slippery elm (same tree), the top of the leaf surface should be scabrous (rough like sandpaper). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

So you are saying Jeff collected hazelnuts from an elm tree? How warm has it been down your way?  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

The man is gifted, I tell you...
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

I, too, was thinking Jeff's tree was an American Elm.  I could not see the leaf petioles or the buds and I am only familiar with three elms.  The flowers, fruits or seeds that he was collecting and posting pictures of I am not familiar with.  

If no one has anything posted by 6 a.m. tomorrow when I get to work, I'll try to post a new one I got a picture of today.  I saw a couple of others today that I have not posted but I did not get pictures of them.

Thank you to all who have been contributing to this thread.  I have learned a lot.
Caveman

DelawhereJoe

Corylus cornuta, beaked hazelnut unless my Googlefu skills have let me down.

stavebuyer

My tree was a Sourwood; some call it Sorrel. Oxydendrum Arboreum.

Ianab

Jeff's Elm tree makes me think this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulmus_glabra_%27Camperdownii%27

The contorted version is often grafted to some regular root stock. So the tree has a normal trunk for 6-8 ft, then the grafted part goes wild. Popular as an ornamental, as it doesn't try to grow to 100 ft and become a problem. The original tree is still growing in Scotland, and is only ~10ft tall after nearly 200 years. 

I can find some more trees, but not tonight, so if anyone else has something, jump in. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

caveman

That was a good sized Sourwood.  It was also tree of the day on July 7.

Today's tree was found growing on a small sand hill not far from a swamp.  Their were a lot of gopher tortoise burrows close by, sand live oaks, longleaf pines, black cherry and laurel oaks.  I had gone to this site to collect a turkey oak sample but it had died since last year.  The range of this species is from Texas to Virginia.  This is probably too many hints to make it a challenge.

This tree species tops out at around 30' and the leaf shape is similar to a laurel oak but the texture is similar to a live oak.

Caveman

ellmoe

Is jack feeling down in the dumps?
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

Stavebuyer, that is a nice one.

You ever seen an oak run?

caveman

Ellmoe knows today's tree (he's a sharp feller).  With the hints and a tree which should probably be utilized in landscape more, I would expect more to chime in. This is a pretty cool tree and easily overlooked. If I did not live in a low area, I would probably plant at least one in my yard.
Caveman

curdog

I snapped some pictures earlier today of a few out of place trees that I can post when there's a day running a little short for the T.O.D.. one may be a repeat and the other might be a brother of today's tree....

caveman

Yesterday's tree of the day was Bluejack Oak or (Quercus incana). 
Caveman

WDH

Also called runner oak.

curdog

I'm pretty sure one of these has been posted before,  but the other should be a new one. One is definitely not from the foothills of NC, and the other is found but not common.  It's like taking a trip to the sandhills without ever leaving home.

samandothers

Happy Birthday Caveman!  Enjoy the thread you started here.

Ljohnsaw

Looks like an oak and a pine... ;) :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

curdog

Quote from: ljohnsaw on August 16, 2019, 12:47:21 PM
Looks like an oak and a pine... ;) :D
Winner, I made it too easy  ;D

WDH

Blackjack oak.
Slash pine.

curdog

WDH got it bonus points because I meant to post the picture of the longleaf next to it....
But this farm has a wide variety of trees found on it.. longleaf, shortleaf, Virginia, loblolly,  eastern white and pond pines and numerous oak species including Bur which is not a local species...

caveman

The slash pine we have here tend to have longer needles than those north of here.  Also, slash pine usually has fascicles with two and three needles and they tend to grow down the end of the twig further than longleaf or loblolly.  

Pictured below are some slash pine logs we sawed several years ago when we still had a liveoak to shade our mill in the afternoons.  Hurricane Irma split it.

Caveman

caveman

Today's tree of the day is a sad example but it is what I have.  This tree used to be the epitome of the species - no longer.

Caveman

DelawhereJoe

Thank You Sponsors!