iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Powder post beetles

Started by sunriseseamless, October 25, 2008, 01:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunriseseamless

I had some hickory sawn this summer and stacked it in my barn.  The thought occurred to me the other day that I should protect it from the beetles that make free with the rest of my barn. ::)
I checked on some web sites  :P  and the beetles love hardwoods, including hickory.  The adults only come out in June to lay their eggs, so I think I have a few months to protect my lumber.
I do know the little buggers are there and they're active, I can see the little dusting of sawdust below my barn beams.  The barn is old, made of rough sawn hardwood.
Any suggestions? ???

tyb525

Our barn sounds just like yours, including the powder post beetles. Timbor and boracare are both good.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

ljmathias

Don't wait, though- I did and all my hickory turned to dust, not even much good as firewood...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!