iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Puffball in E MI

Started by johncinquo, August 30, 2005, 10:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncinquo

My son and I found this greta big puff ball whil eout walking inthe woods over by Midland MI.  Maybe some good Dow checmicals affected this monster!  I just left it there, no desire to mess with that on my part. 

I just linked to some pics I have of the day.  Posting pics here alludes me.

http://www.msnusers.com/BrooksiesWildTrip/midlandtrip2005giantpuffbal.msnw?Page=Last
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

SwampDonkey

WOW, never seen a white one before, usually grey. That is huge.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

moosehunter

A little smaller and it would cook up nicely!
Slice them about 3/8 inch thick, cast iron pan with butter and worstshire sauce 8)
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Patty

That is one big puff there! :o    We get them that size every now and then....seems to me that certain years we have a bunch, then you don't see them again for awhile.

I have to ask, MH, what is to eat in a puff ball? Everyone I've seen is just a big empty ball of spore...am I missing something good to eat? Since I am on a diet now,  ::), food is of great concern to me.  smiley_bouncing
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Brad_S.

Patty,
You've caught them too late. When they're at the stage in the picture, they are solid and firm and can be sliced and sautéed just like mushrooms. I'm not sure why MH wants it smaller, unless his fry pan is too small.  ???
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Sprucegum

If you are going to fry them, make sure you peel the dollars off first :D :D :D

Engineer

You missed a great opportunity for some mighty good eatin'.    That one may have been a bit big, but if it's still white and firm on the inside, it's edible.   Fry up with butter, treat it as a mushroom, or even cube it and use it in a dish that would ordinarily call for something nasty like tofu. 

moosehunter

My fry pan is tooooo small ;D
The few I have found that were that big seem to be getting soft in the center. I look for soccer ball size or slightly smaller. Probubly more of a timing thing than a size thing.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Dana

The kids picked more puffballs this year than I ever remember finding.  My wife Kathleen made cream of mushroom soup out of the last two and it was very good.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Thank You Sponsors!