iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coyote in the yard

Started by Jim_Rogers, June 11, 2012, 09:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

This morning I was looking out the window from my shop/office, I saw a coyote running down my driveway away from the shop.

This is the first one I've seen here.

There has been several sitings in town nearby that I've heard about on TV news.

Should I be concerned?

I do have a gun that I could use to defend myself if needed, but it's only a 22 cal for shooting squirrels, and other small rodents.

Will it take down a coyote?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Texas Ranger

It will make the coyote unhappy, in the least.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

chevytaHOE5674

Defend yourself? From a coyote?  :D

I would "dispose" of it somehow to defend the neighborhood rabbits, cats, etc.

I've taken down more than a few yotes with a .22LR.

giant splinter

Jim
Coyotes are difficult to shoot with a camera much less a gun and they really don't want to be confronted,unless he has been getting into chicken coops or helping manage the cat population I would not be concerned, he was just checking out your trash cans for a free meal. In my area if you hear them at night the wolves are out there somewhere as well, not being the highest thing on the food chain I let them all do their job.
roll with it

Jim_Rogers

Coyote's have been known in our area to be rabid, so that's why I said I wanted to defend myself. They have attacked people in their own yards due to the fact that they (the coyotes) are sick with rabies.

Thanks for your comments.

Jim Rogers

doctorb

You might get a shot at one if you're in a deer stand.  Unless they are acting aggressively from disease, they don't want anything to do with you.  If you provide a food source (pets, chickens, etc.), you'll see him again.  If they can find an easier food source elsewhere, just consider yourself lucky to have seen him for the last time.

I have seen three in the last 5 years.  All were in situations that I would have had no time to get a shot off, even if I was armed and ready.  I think, at least in my area, they are very nocturnal.  I might suggest a game cam if you think they are lurking around your place.  Then you can at least get an idea of the frequency of their visits.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Cypressstump

Where there is one, there are others. Do you have small pets? If so, keep them inside at nights. Yotes are notorious for grabbing house cats and smaller dogs. Those things multiply quickly where food sources are abundant.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Jim_Rogers

I have seen, recently, baby woodchucks, rabbits, cats and of course squirrels and chipmunks in my yard.

So, I would say that there is plenty of food around for this one.

Jim Rogers

Cypressstump

Sounds like that Yote needs a lead diet, and the .22 in a long rifle cartridge will do the deed out to 50 yards easily on a well placed shot,

I lived out west many years, used to hunt them for population control for some ranchers. One of the very few animals that I will kill not for food. They are one of them most wiley creatures I have ever seen in the wild.Second only to the mountian lion.
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Jim_Rogers

I do have a scope on my 22 long rifle.

And just a few minutes ago, a wild turkey nearly walked into the shop. I had to chase him off down the driveway....

Jim Rogers

So there is plenty of wild life around here...

bill m

Back in Feb. late on night I let my lab out just before bedtime. Just as he got out the door I saw a coyote under the apple tree on the back lawn. The dog didn't see him but he saw the dog. As my dog was going about doing his business the coyote started approaching him. At about 30 yards I stepped out of the house and yelled and he headed for the woods. About 2 weeks later he was back again. I now keep my 22 by the back door.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

doctorb

Hate the thought of watching that confrontation, but I'll bet it would never happen.  Eastern coyotes can get slightly bigger than their Western relatives, up to 45-50 pounds.  Most are not that big, probably 35-40 pounds.

They may be considered predators, which they are, but they are also thoughtful opportunists, not killers.  They will weigh the risk/reward ratio carefully before attacking something their size or larger.  They tend to live on rodents, not deer.  So I thnk your lab is pretty safe.  Now, a smaller dog.......

Most farms around me have one or more dogs.  They never see the coyotes, who avoid this unnecessary confrontation.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

clww

They are opportunistic eaters/hunters. If they think they can get an easy meal, they will try and go for it. As written earlier, if you've seen one then chances are there are others.
I know a guy that trapped one last winter that weighed in at 52 LBS! :o I was at the taxidermist picking mine up when he brought that one in. Mine looked like a puppy beside it.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Al_Smith

They can get rather large in this area .Occasional after a new fallen snow I see tracks around my wood piles evidently from a 'yote looking for a mouse or chipmonk during the night .Fox tracks also but not during the same night .Fox leave a track with a trailing foot .Yotes more like dogs only smaller .

The fox I see on occasion ,the 'yotes only rarely and fleeting and never on my property although they obviously visit from time to time .

To have predators of any kind there has to be prey .As such says a lot for the eco system .

MHineman

I hear them when they have a meal ready and calling everybody in for dinner frequently.  A neighbor across the back fence (~1200 ft from the house) hunts them and apparently gets quite a few.

I've only seen any one time on my place.  I have chickens, and outdoor cats and so far have not had any lost to coyotes.

I also have a stupid dog that runs all over the place with no particular purpose.  My guess is his scent is left all over and the coyotes decide to got elsewhere for dinner.

I do have skunks that visit often.  They do not bother the chickens or cats either, but I do keep the dog in at night to avoid a smelly dog.

Does anybody know if coyotes will bypass your place if you have skunks around?  When I have skunks roam through, I have little to no racoons.

I have had several interactions with the skunks personally and so far no bad results.  Now the stupid dog is different.  The skunk felt threatened when the dog approached.

A flashlight waved at the skunk was all it took to "chase" him out of the chicken pen, and since they prefer to not have interaction with people, he didn't come back to the chickens again.  He didn't seem to be interested in hurting the chickens, but thought the broken egg on the gound might be good.

1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

clww

We have everything on our property-from chipmunks to bears. I have seen a few skunks, and have seen one coyote. At night, I've heard a group of several get together and "sing". I don't think they'd stay away because of a skunk, IMO.
Incidentally, we were having our coffee Sunday morning on the deck I built in front of the tent. Had the radio on with a CD playing and our two dogs were there with us. This doe walks up the driveway to within 40 feet of everything. Then the dogs took off chasing her, until I called them back home.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Jim_Rogers

I have deer walk right out and down the driveway all the time. Sometimes while I'm out sawing, in the middle of the day.

Jim Rogers

Ironwood

I had a female here, and many of my dump truck drivers saw her lingering in my fiel when they were bringing loads of fill in, I too have had local stories of rabid ones, so have a .270 Win waiting for her, nothing lately now that I am prepared ??? perhaps she fouund better grounds.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

jpmorris98

As far as close-quarters medicine, I'd prefer a reputable 12 gauge to a .22lr.  Modified or full choke loaded w/ No. 4 shot or larger.  I follow the Elmer Keith philosophy of "use enough gun".  Granted the .270 is a great choice, the shotgun may provide a little safety cushion if you have neighbors in close proximity and limited earthen back stops to catch the projectile after it exits the animal.

Just my 2-cents.
jpm

Cypressstump

Out in New Mexico we used to have Coyote Hunts that turned into tournments. The team with the most dead dogs won. We pair up with one man with a 12 ga. or 10ga. shotgun with either 3 1/2" BB shot or #1 buckshot rounds, and the other with something that would reach out and touch em' at 5-600 yards, usually a .220 Swift or Ruger .22-250 or heavier depending on wind conditions.

The majority of the Yotes were shot within 50 yards, they are that elusive and sneaky. My partner once shot a large male at the end of his 10 gauge, it came in that quick and competely unseen. He took us by total surprise because he busted in on us , up out of an arroyo  and into the sagebrush flat that we had sat up our 'sniper nest', was not even done with the first single call when the shotgun w/ 3 1/2" number 1 buckshot went off. Bout made me stink up the place..... the yote folded and rolled right past my feet, as me and my friend were facing off at a 45 degree angle from each other scanning out to the distance. The Yote came straight in to him at a full on run and flared off as he noticed us. There were't much of that dog left to tote to the truck....
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

Crappiekeith

...and here I was gonna say .22-.250...nice fast accurate round.

Ironwood

my shot would likely be 100 yards+ and into wooded acreage, upslope houses are 1/4 minimum and thru thick woods.
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Activgurl

Charleston, WV, has a hunting/fishing show every January.  A guy has done a seminar on coyote hunting for several years.  I've sat thru the show several times, and like his tips & stories.  Here's his website. http://www.tombechdel.com/

And a quote from him... "During any three year period I have harvested 257 coyotes in Pennsylvania and Ohio. The largest was 72 pounds, and the most I have harvested in one day is eight."

chain

Quote from: Activgurl on June 15, 2012, 12:48:07 PM
Charleston, WV, has a hunting/fishing show every January.  A guy has done a seminar on coyote hunting for several years.  I've sat thru the show several times, and like his tips & stories.  Here's his website. http://www.tombechdel.com/

And a quote from him... "During any three year period I have harvested 257 coyotes in Pennsylvania and Ohio. The largest was 72 pounds, and the most I have harvested in one day is eight."

That's interesting about the 'yote that weighed 72lb. I was on a National trapping website once, the owner had a contest and I believe he bet noone could document a 'yote weighing over 50lbs. This guy writes for several trapping publications, so far as I know noone ever documented a 'yote over fifty. There are 'coydogs' a mixed species that I've heard of and I have seen black 'yotes.

Cypressstump

During some of the Yote roundups we used to have in New Mexico, there were several that went over 50 lbs, the largest I saw my self weighed was 61 lbs a huge non-pregnant female. That Yote came from the Bosque area, a wooded area longside the Rio Grande river , which holds lots of wildlife, more so that the mesa's and deserts.
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

Thank You Sponsors!