iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar eclipse April 8

Started by woodroe, March 16, 2024, 09:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Yeah, it was pretty cool when it was dark and you could see a couple brighter stars or planet in the sky. We have a lot of crows around here and they never acted strange at all. Kept on like normal, the usual crowing and flitting about the yard. My brother said if it is too bright to look at then why don't deer have shades on? I said looking directly into the sun is a human curiosity thing. A deer is looking for something to eat, or an escape from a predator. Not looking and walking with it's head cocked up almost vertical. I said I remember someone thought that he didn't need welding glasses/helmet one time and he burnt his eyes. End of conversation.  ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodroe

We didn't get the total darkness experience but all but a sliver of sun
was showing. 99 % , Dim light , a bit eerie .  There was one bright star showing to the west , not sure
what it was.
Some local roads to the west and north
got choked up with eclipse tourists backed up an hour in places .
Reports of people honking and swearing at each other. Didn't need any of that so glad we stayed put  ffcheesy
Local businesses cashed in of course. 
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

thecfarm

I can imagine the mess there was after it was over!!!
There is only 2-3 ways out and in, to them small towns.
Kinda like Fryeburg Fair on a weekend.  ffcheesy
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DWyatt

We were basically right on the centerline through Ohio, in the area of the longest darkness. Bright, sunny skies and beautiful weather. All the hype was WWAAYYYY overdone. The highway looked like a normal Monday afternoon and I didn't see and hordes of people like they warned us about. We had a nice cookout with some friends that came over for the event. 

My One neighbor ordered a porta pot and had a sign up for parking at $20 each. Ended up just being him and his wife  ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy

YellowHammer

I saw a zombie, a turtle flying and my dog Lucie turned into a cat.

Other than that it was pretty normal.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

woodroe

An estimated 10,000 people swarmed the sleepy town of Jackman Maine population 730 in the NW  
part of the state. This from a local newspaper:
"License plates from 26 states could be seen Monday morning in Jackman, including from Alaska, California, Colorado, Tennessee, Texas and Washington."
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

peakbagger

I watched it from a mountain 3 miles in the woods with a great view west. Despite a 3 mile snowshoe to get to the summit there were plenty of folks who had the same idea coming from two directions. The weather as perfect which is very rare in Northern NH in April. Definitely an experience for a lifetime.  

LeeB

We had a calf born during the eclipse.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

rusticretreater

Theatre on a galactic scale.  My vote for the Tony Award.  ffcool
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Larry

Lee, did you check it to see if it had wings, 3 heads, or anything else a bit unusual? ffsmiley It might be possessed. :uhoh:
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ljohnsaw

Got a bunch of pictures, some pretty good. Wasn't able to capture the solar flare that was shooting out down around the 4 o'clock position on film.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

LeeB

We did, or should I say my son did. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

peakbagger

Quote from: LeeB on April 09, 2024, 10:27:17 AMWe had a calf born during the eclipse.
So do you name the calf Luna? ;)

pigman

I survived the eclipse, I am sure you all were worried. Of course my area of northern ky was only 99%. I did find out later since I used the glasses from 2017, I will go blind. Does anyone know where I can get a seeing eye dog? O0
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Magicman

This picture (supposedly) taken in New Hampshire has to be one of the prettiest that I have seen. 

EDIT:  It was probably photoshopped, but still pretty.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Up here it was way higher in the sky than that. If you wanted to get a landscape scene, the sun would be way tinier in the shot to capture it all.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

APOD from yesterday was of the eclipse. I've only ever seen partials, but it seems  NZ gets one in 2028, way down across the South Island. I mean it's cool to see, but there is a limit to how many miles I'd travel too see it. . 

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap240409.html
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

aigheadish

I thought it was really neat. In Dayton my party turned out well with about 15 of us checking it out, including a baby. It's amazing when it hit 95%+ covered how much the light changed, the temperature dropped, and it got a bit windy. As it went to 100% things went quite calm and dark and weird! We were able to see the prominences (? solar flares?) and that was pretty cool too. All in all, time well spent watching space and nature in action. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

JJ

MM, not so sure about that picture, eclipse was at 3:30pm, not like 6:30.   From my viewing it would have been difficult to get any landscape in the photo, especially a lake.

JJ

LeeB

Quote from: peakbagger on April 09, 2024, 08:30:25 PM
Quote from: LeeB on April 09, 2024, 10:27:17 AMWe had a calf born during the eclipse.
So do you name the calf Luna? ;)
It was a bull calf so I named it Sol. 

Magicman

Quote from: JJ on April 10, 2024, 08:52:46 AMMM, not so sure about that picture, eclipse was at 3:30pm, not like 6:30.  From my viewing it would have been difficult to get any landscape in the photo, especially a lake.

JJ
After thinking about it, I am not sure either.  SD just said that it was much higher at his location, and this was supposedly in NH, so I am calling it photoshopped, but still pretty.

I copied and should have known better.  Too good to be true.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Resonator

Looking at it the reflection in the water makes me wonder, it should be eclipsed sunshine, not full sunshine.  :sunny:
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

Yes, more evidence that it was photoshopped.  :uhoh:

LeeB

There's another one going around showing Texas blue bonnets in an eclipse shot. Same issue. Shows the eclipse as being just above the horizon and the flowers in full color. 

Freedy201

I was lucky enough to see the eclipse with my naked eye... the only problem is that there was a THICK layer of clouds between me and it.

I saw it from online livestreams though, sad to miss such an event.

Thank You Sponsors!