iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This is one reason I love the Woodmizer MP100

Started by Brad_bb, June 10, 2020, 10:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Last week we realized we needed to extend the outside rafters of 2 porches in order to do the facia the way we wanted.  So we needed 3.5x5.5 white oak 12 feet long.  I was home over the weekend and was going to bring the material back.

I had FOH white oak rafters that were culled from my shop frame in 2016.  They had bowed too much before installation.  I saved the material though in hopes of using it in shorter sections.  Here is some of it:

They all are bowed to some extent.  In a  good number of them, the first half is still fairly straight. so I cut my pieces out of those.  

They started as 4x6 and shrunk to about 3-7/8 x 5-3/4.  They still  have a little bit of bow to them and I realized that I really need to joint them square again.  Problem is my mill is 3 hours away on the build site.  I had taken the MP100 planer off the mill when I moved it.  I can't move the planer to site as there is no 220V with the amp rating for it.  Then I realized that my two extensions are still there at home.  

That only gives me about 10ft of working length, so I had to plane/joint 10 ft, and then move the stick and re shim it to do the last 2 feet.  It worked. I ended up taking off 1/4 to 3/8 inch to get the timbers square and true.  I ended up right at 3.5x5.5 which is exactly the minimum needed.  I got to use up some of the warped wood too.  One benefit is that the oak is stable after 4-5 years, and it didn't cost me any more.  I plan to use up the remaining material in the future in a similar way -in shorter pieces, and squaring it up with the beam planer/jointer.  It acts more like a jointer because the material is stationary and the planer passed over it on the track, truely flattening or truing it to the mill bed.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

doc henderson

Nice to have the right, or at least "some" tool for the job at hand.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

YellowHammer

That's pretty nice.  I may have to look at one of those.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bruno of NH

I wonder if you can just buy the planer and track.
I could see a market for the service.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Brad_bb

Yes, that's the normal way.  I just bought it with my LT15go so I could run both on the same track.  Having 2 extensions lets me keep the MP100 at the beginning of the track, then the saw head after it.  When just using the planer, I push the saw head down the track.  I say planer, but it's function is more akin to a jointer.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

MDean

Quote from: Brad_bb on June 10, 2020, 10:30:41 AM
Last week we realized we needed to extend the outside rafters of 2 porches in order to do the facia the way we wanted.  So we needed 3.5x5.5 white oak 12 feet long.  I was home over the weekend and was going to bring the material back.

I had FOH white oak rafters that were culled from my shop frame in 2016.  They had bowed too much before installation.  I saved the material though in hopes of using it in shorter sections.  Here is some of it:

They all are bowed to some extent.  In a  good number of them, the first half is still fairly straight. so I cut my pieces out of those.  

They started as 4x6 and shrunk to about 3-7/8 x 5-3/4.  They still  have a little bit of bow to them and I realized that I really need to joint them square again.  Problem is my mill is 3 hours away on the build site.  I had taken the MP100 planer off the mill when I moved it.  I can't move the planer to site as there is no 220V with the amp rating for it.  Then I realized that my two extensions are still there at home.  

That only gives me about 10ft of working length, so I had to plane/joint 10 ft, and then move the stick and re shim it to do the last 2 feet.  It worked. I ended up taking off 1/4 to 3/8 inch to get the timbers square and true.  I ended up right at 3.5x5.5 which is exactly the minimum needed.  I got to use up some of the warped wood too.  One benefit is that the oak is stable after 4-5 years, and it didn't cost me any more.  I plan to use up the remaining material in the future in a similar way -in shorter pieces, and squaring it up with the beam planer/jointer.  It acts more like a jointer because the material is stationary and the planer passed over it on the track, truely flattening or truing it to the mill bed.

Lol, I literally just saw this same stack of warped boards yesterday in the "be super scared of milling 4x4 oak posts" thread (may not have been the exact thread title) but it's what I gathered from it. Glad to see some use being given to these boards.

Escavader

Our mp100 is set up on 45 feet of track ive done alot of mods including a sawmill sawdust blower overhead.good machine 
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

Thank You Sponsors!