iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bridge walk

Started by pasbuild, September 11, 2004, 10:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasbuild

Up here in Michigan on labor day there is a long standing tradition were the governor and anybody else that cares to walks the five miles across the Mackinaw bridge.
In a small community a little north and a little west of the Mac they have there own version of the bridge walk, four hundred plus gathered at the local marina and at two PM the spud guns went off and the bridge walk was on ;)

after everybody crosses the bridge the line turns around and they head back over the bridge to a big pot luck community picnic. I didn't get to walk the bridge because I was busy frying up 140# of French frys but I did manage to get a few pics.

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Corley5

8) 8) 8) 8)  As for the Big Mack walk.  Why walk when you can drive ??? ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Furby

Because you can't look down between your feet and see the ity bity tankers going by when you are driving.  ;D

Corley5

When you're stopped on the bridge because of maintenance work you can look out your car window and down and see the same things ;D ;) :D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Furby

True......................................  ::)
I forgot, you had plenty of time for that didn't you ???  :D
Don't feel to bad, my 1 hour trip up to the lake took two as did the trip back.  :-/

pasbuild

I prefer the Wittz's Marina bridge walk, 19 steps and your done then you can go EAT ;D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Minnesota_boy

I did a different kind of bridge walk this summer.  I walked over the longest timber framed footbridge.  This footbridge spans the Kicking Horse river in Golden, B.C.  When I got home I found a write up in Wood-MizerWay magazine describing the way it developed and the role of bandsawyers and timber framers in ist construction.  Neat bridge!!   8)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

SwampDonkey

Well let's just post a picture of a suspension foot bridge. ;)

This suspension bridge is across the mouth of the Sisson Branch Resevoir which is part of the Tobique waterway. There is a hydro electric dam at the mouth of the Tobique River, 90 miles down stream from this resevoir. I'm not sure how long the walk is and it didn't look to be a well maintained bridge to me. I took this photo 18 years ago while working in the summer months for the Fraser Lumber Co in Plaster Rock, NB.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

Minnesota, I know  the Golden area well. A walk across that canyon is not for people who don't like heights :D I flew to London Ontario last week and there was a break in the clouds around the Soo. Quite a view of the UP and the bridges. That is a lot of water!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!