iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interesting way to haul stuff.

Started by ADAMINMO, August 24, 2007, 03:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADAMINMO

This person wheeled up in here to pick up a sawmill.We were quite intrigued to see he wanted us to place it on top of his rather small car to haul it home.He said he hauled alot of things up there from shingles to boards.Who says ya gotta have a truck to haul stuff? anyone else got an interesting picture like this.This was from a few years ago and beleive me .... it is not trick photography ... I saw it first hand. :D :D

Guess our mills are as portable as you wanna make em!!!!

BBTom

I think I saw that little car in our local box store parking lot.  It had about 20 sheets of 3/4 plywood on top and a broken axle underneath.  He did make it halfway across the lot before it broke.  I wouldn't be suprised if he blamed the broken axle on a pothole. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

gary

I didn't have the camera with me. When I saw a car with a good sized four wheeler on the roof. I don,t think the policeman who saw it before I did would have liked me to have taken any pictures while he was writeing out the tickets.

Mr Mom

When i use to work a D.I.Y (now out of buiness) i had to help people load there cars and some of the things they would do to get things home :o :o :o.
I could not tie anything down on peoples car just help load.
Some were just plan stupid.
One time a guy came in a old s-10 and got 65 2x4 16 footers we loaded them on a ladder rack but the truck looked a low rider after we were done. Dont know if he made it home or not.
Thanks Alot Mr Mom

beenthere

AdaminMO ;D
How many pounds would that be up there?  

For anyone in the safety concious arena, I think a good argument could be given for the danger of having that mill up on top. Surely the straps are not going to keep it there if a quick stop is needed, or if just a 5mph bumper tap is eminent. But then, probably the chances are slim that it would happen....just that it could, and whomever is in front of the load continuing forward, might be the unlucky one. Turning a corner too quick might make things a little dicey too.  ;D  (I don't call people 'stupid', as some prolly think things I do are not brilliant...in their minds.. ;D)
Hopefully there is no liability on the company for how a mill leaves the plant.  

My rental place now requires that all renters use their own straps, chains and binders, and fasten them themselves....just according to their insurance and liability if something happens to the load.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ADAMINMO

I beleive he had to sign a waiver on it.He made it home ok.He lost one front brake on the way to get the mill.Didn't have any brakes on the rear.One front brake all the way to his home in Illinois I beleive.Once they are on the truck(car in this case)we are no longer responsible for it.Mill weight is roughly 500 lbs.He had it strapped down tight through the windows.

Bibbyman

I would have bet he was from Arkansas.

If the doors had window frames - like most cars now days do - how did he get back in the car?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

Don't surprise me a bit in that part of the country.  I had just floated the Black River and was headed home at light speed on one of those curvy roads in my 66 Corvette.  Some guy passed me in a Chevy II...to add insult to injury he spit chew after he got round me. :-[ >:( :-\ :'(
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Norm

What! A 66 Corvette and you've never shown a picture.....Larry I'm borrowing that wet noodle from Jeff if we don't see one soon. :D

Reddog

Quote from: Mr Mom on August 24, 2007, 04:01:28 PM
One time a guy came in a old s-10 and got 65 2x4 16 footers we loaded them on a ladder rack but the truck looked a low rider after we were done.

I have watched my Dad haul more on his S-10 roof rack than me in a full size truck. He just always made sure the whole truck went down even.   ;D ;D

Don_Papenburg

Be kind Norm he is still washing the chew juice off his vett so it will shine in the picture. ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Handy Andy

I used to have a rack on my 88 Toyota truck.  Hauled loads of stuff on it.  We used to throw planks on the rack and drive it alongside the house we were building and use it for scaffolding. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

ScottAR

The joys of loading at the big box... 

Fridges tend to fall out of trucks if they are not tied in.

A ford suv can hold a patio door on the roof rack and no I will not tie it down.

A Honda civic sedan does not have enough trunk room for a dishwasher.

An 80's Chevy S10 will hold 48 bags of 80lb Sakrete but not 49...

A 1ton U Haul will hold 70 sheets of 12ft rock but the tires look bad low... 

A Z71 will haul enough treated lumber to go to the top of the bed but
the tire sidewalls rub together.

Put 80 bundles of 30 year shingles on a one axle trailer.  He made it all
the way to the street before the axle broke taking the tire and fender with it.
Couldn't happened to a nicer guy either.  Cussed my cashier on his way out.
Karma will get ya every time.

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Paschale

Here's that picture that went around the internet a few years back.   ;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

crtreedude

But I canna change the laws of physics, Captain!

So, how did I end up here anyway?

ScottAR

As I remember the story, there's ten sacks of sakrete in the back
seats and trunk.
The Passenger was/is passed out on dope... 

Yes, this was on a bulletin board at the big box. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

asy

OK, time for a story...  Everyone got a cuppa?

MANY years ago, BC (before children) my (now-EX) husband, the interlekchewall, wanted to take an Aviary home across town. We only had a little Toyota Corolla '74. Great little car. Not built for carrying stuff.

We had no roof racks. No tow ball, nothing. I suggested we pay the guy a deposit and borrow his brother's car and my Dad's trailer and pick it up the following weekend. But noooooooo that was too much mucking around. The guy was happy to hold it for us for the week or two.

So, he decided to put the aviary on the roof of the car and tie it down. In spite of my protesting that 'It'll slide off', and 'but there's nothing to keep it in place' etc. After a few glares and him starting to get upset (NOT a state I ever wanted him to get into) I shaddap.

So, here we are, Aviary panels loaded on the roof. Overhanging the car on all sides. tied through the open windows A-La the photos above. We had to get into the car through the windows.

I didn't think it politically correct to take photos, and, in any case, I didn't have my camera.

Now, here's the fun bit....

Yup, you guessed it...

Going at 80Km/Hr down a main road (THANKFULLY this didn't happen on the freeway we'd just come off) The Aviary slid off the roof. Yup, just slid on off the roof. The rope (well, more string) went slack and it just a-slid off.

I didn't say a word. Nup, niente, not a word. Just sat there. Trying not to laugh.

Of course he got out and I had to hop out and help put it back onto the roof. And of course it was my fault it fell off, coz if I hadn't 'distracted him with negatives' while he was tying it on it would never have come off... 

It scratched the roof and boot of the car when it slid off. No-one was hurt, but, it was just hillarious, all the same.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

pigman

Whew asy, You had me confused there for a while. When you said that you were hauling an Aviary on top of the car, I was picturing something like this

tied by it's neck on the car. :o   Later you used the term Aviar panels, so I figured  you were talking about some sort of pen or cage panels for birds. ;D

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Riles

When Honda started making Civics many years ago, the car was tiny. Mini-Cooper sized even.

I saw a Ford pickup with a Honda Civic in the back. It was a perfect fit. The Honda's tires straddled the Ford's wheel wells. I thought "I don't need a spare tire, I've got a spare car."
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Larry

Norm, all I have left of that vette is fond memories.

I could send you pictures of the wife's Saturn as it is the exact same color...just doesn't have that ugly bump in the center of the hood. ;D :D ;D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Slabs

Back in my days as a slaughter house tycoon we used to joke about Mr. Osborne bringing in his mixed dairy breeds while they "looked over the cab" of his pickup.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

jrokusek

Sounds like Baker could use this for their marketing, "So easy to move you can haul it with your family sedan."   :D

ADAMINMO

That may work for the marketing side."As portable as you wanna make em!"

Southside

Quote from: Slabs on August 25, 2007, 09:51:20 PM
Back in my days as a slaughter house tycoon we used to joke about Mr. Osborne bringing in his mixed dairy breeds while they "looked over the cab" of his pickup.
I realize this is an old thread - but the kid who saw me at a stop light in my old Dodge x cab, about the time this thread was active mind you - is probably still laughing at the heifer calf he spotted in the back seat of the cab, it was winter and I was raising replacements on a contract basis, so she was not the first, nor the last to ride in that truck.  ;D 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

Michelle's sister and BIL were in Saudi for a number of years, one set of pics she sent back was from the camel market, a camel being slung into the back of a little Toyota truck and then looking over the cab for the ride home.

BTW you can get 13 sheets of 3/4 ply on the roof of a Pinto :D. Working in a canoe rental shop in my teens we had one renter that came in to pick up a full sized boat driving a beetle, they made it about a mile and wondered if I was going to keep the deposit after it hit the road ::).

Thank You Sponsors!