iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what kind of mask are you all wearing?

Started by doc henderson, April 24, 2020, 12:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

My wife and I are working opposite each other, but have wanted to post a pic together of our masks.  It also cannot be early or late, and not if we have been working outside.  so we finally took separate pics at work.  These were a kind gift in this time of pandemic.  We would like to thank @Wildflower  for thinking of our safety.  She knows we love our country and our flag!  We love our masks, and thanks again.  they are so well crafted! We love the material and most of all the fact that you thought of us!  God Bless!

usflag
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

Nice but do they match with her Miss Kitty outfits too? :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

Quote from: doc henderson on April 24, 2020, 12:15:44 PM
My wife and I are working opposite each other, but have wanted to post a pic together of our masks.  It also cannot be early or late, and not if we have been working outside.  so we finally took separate pics at work.  These were a kind gift in this time of pandemic.  We would like to thank @Wildflower  for thinking of our safety.  She knows we love our country and our flag!  We love our masks, and thanks again.  they are so well crafted! We love the material and most of all the fact that you thought of us!  God Bless!

usflag
Great pictures!!

Southside

Nice photo Doc.  Question from the background, and back to my NBC days from long ago - seems to me the gloves and goggles order of doffing are backwards?  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

2 pair of gloves.  5 steps.  I did not know you were on TV!   :D

Southside

Ahh - that makes sense.  Oh yea - with a face that was made for radio!!   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on April 24, 2020, 10:26:54 PM
2 pair of gloves.  5 steps.  I did not know you were on TV!   :D
It took a whole day for me to get this and the relation to NBC. ;D More strange is that I went through that training! Geez, I am dense sometimes.
 When I worked in clean rooms, depending on the class, sometimes they required double gloves and instead of the bonnet they required a tyvec suit with an internal hood that surrounded the face and a face mask. Man I sweated gallons on those jobs. Still the CBRNE protocols were probably the most uncomfortable, including the Decon (since when is 'tepid water' 55° >:(, I don't miss that one bit. Be safe Doc.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

Brenda bought 2 of the N29,just when all this started. I did not feel we needed them, but guess what I am wearing at the store? I was hoping this would not be as bad as what it is. Not bad here in Maine, yet and yet is the key word too. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I still have my N95's that I have always worn while sawing.  The above picture was taken January 6, 2010.  Nothing has changed while sawing.

PatD made me this "going to the store" mask.  She also made similar masks for many other folks.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

first class family and citizens!  thanks for sharing MM.  If anyone else would like to share pics that is fine!

47sawdust

Doc,
Thanks again for all your info.
My wife has made a couple dozen masks for friends,neighbors and relatives.She makes quilts among other things and has a ready supply of fabric.She just received 300 feet of elastic so I don't see her letting up any time soon. I am lucky to live with someone as talented and vigilant as her.Our home feels very safe.

A couple photos with bad hair. I like to think we are better looking but .......

Best to all of you,
Mr.and Ms. 47sawdust
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Roxie

I'm not permitted to leave the house at all, but I made these for my own first responder, my niece.

Say when

Magicman

OK,

I'll go back and stand in the corner.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ed_K

I have the N95s for at the mill and work shop but we use the cheap blue ones from the hospital when Rita's going to town an when I go to the hospital to get my blood tests.
Ed K

randy d

MM you gave me the first smile of the day thank you

DbltreeBelgians

"For Those About To Rock, We Salute You"
Thank you Doc and your wife for what you do.
usflag

Bill

I never had much luck ( success ) with the paper masks .

Some 25+ years ago I had a nasty painting job and the little woman insisted that she wanted all the brain cells that were still functioning . . .

So I found a 3m mask at the local auto supply . It took some doing - but sure enough - in a box under other boxes were painting supplies - including , in its original clear plastic package with new spare particulate filters I found that 25+ year old mask - which is still being made and filters are ( or were ) still available  10-20 days ago . It is p95 - supposed to be a wee bit better than n95 .

Here's the specs iffen you re interested

Part #: MMM 07179
Includes The 3M Low Maintenance Half Facepiece 07026, 1 Pair Organic Vapor Cartridges 07046, 1 Pair Filter Retainers 07054, & 2 Pairs Of P-95 Filters 07194.
Spray Painting Lacquer, Enamel Or Pesticides

Nice lady at the convenience store ( " Wawa " ) thinks its cool - I think - well it serves its purpose .

doc henderson

kantuckid

My wife does the folded bandana versions with girly hair thingys over the ears. I use a N95 from my shop. for weekly Walmart run or parts stores,etc..
Talking masks in general,  I was prepping my respirator half face mask to spray some very nasty moisture cure paint on my motorcycle frame, etc parts and seeing that I was using my last pair of pre-filters that cover the more expensive cartridge cannisters that hang on each cheek, I began to look on Amazon & ebay for a box of what "had been" cheap pre-filters- before crown virus that is... ::)
Not only had the USA company who made the mask and filters gone out of business, any other brand of anything that's close to the notion of a filter is crazy prices! I found on box of the cheapo pre-filters for nearly $40 for 5 prs. They probably cost less than ten cents to mfg..
In fact a Chinese complete half mask with cannisters and prefilters in place is cheaper than a new Chinese mask.
I didn't know medical people used cannister masks?
I think we all know why this stuff is made in China and NLA from USA mfg.'s.. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Bill

A bit more about my 25 year old mask, a 3m - 07179. It seems that it and most other respirators ( from 3m ) are out of stock. There may be a work around. Some spots are selling masks but without the filters. Other stores may have filters but no masks - and the prices are rising. I got 10 - particulate p95 filters ( fits over the organic ( charcoal ) filter canister )  for $20 about 2 weeks ago . Now they are unavailable east coast - west coast where ever from that auto supply .

And to note that these particular filters are rated to " occupational " use . They say not for medicinal use. I assume/guess ( ? ) they are better than a folded over bandana . . .  but it seems like most or all auto type respirators and/or replacement filters are " out of stock "  .

doc henderson

it is my understanding that an industrial mask is fine.  it had to do with liability.  so the gov. released 3M of the liability ass. with medical stuff, and many medical folks are using N95 that may have been in a hardware store a few months back.  we wear a range at work.  I have the great flag ones that Tammy made for me and my wife, surgical/procedure masks, N95s and Papr.

peakbagger

I used to have to mess with respirator policy for industrial work. The reason the government standardized on N95s is that no fit test is required. Once you switch to a half mask or full mask respirators, the people using them have to be fit tested and they need a pulmonary function test (PFT) signed off by a doctor on file. if there is hazardous gas release and OSHA drops by, its almost a guarantee that they will pull the files and cite if any of the workers do no have valid PFTs and fit tests. Note many smokers and welders cannot pass a PFT so they can not use a negative pressure half or full mask.

A PFT is not needed for an N95. The problem with a N95 and most respirators are they are almost always equipped with an exhalation valve to make breathing easier. That is a direct shot from the lungs to the air with no filtering. Therefore they may be great for protecting the person wearing it from breathing in virus but not so good if the person wearing it has CV-19. The reason for the general public to wear a standard mask is not to protect them from the virus but to protect others from the virus they may be inadvertently be carrying. Sure wearing a mask may help a bit from getting it but it makes a big difference in droplet distribution to the general area from a carrier.

BTW, there is no mask that works on a beard and the individual needs to be clean shaven to get a positive seal. Its pretty simple to check, put the mask on and plug the filter inlets then breathe in, you should feel the respirator create a vacuum. P-100 filters are common and used for asbestos removal. Activated carbon filters tend to be expensive and can plug with large particulate so many come equipped with P-100 filters on top of the activated carbon which is designed to absorb gaseous contaminants. The activated carbon filters add weight and resistance to the mask but has minimal effect on pathogens so if possible skip the carbon filter and just use the prefilter. Once an employee is fit tested for a mask its usually given to them to use until they need a new one so most people in industry have a few kicking around as inevitably the company find a new supplier and switches brands. I havent done this for 12 years but found 3 half masks and several P-100 filters in stock. Usually what goes on the masks are the straps. they are supposed to be stretchy but eventually the stretchiness wears out. All three have exhalation valves so for public health purposes I really should not use them on the rare chance I am carrier (highly unlikely). I do carry one in ziplock bag along with rubber gloves. I buy boxes of industrial gloves for home projects, they are not certified sterile but work fine for barrier use. If in the event I need to get up close to someone I suspect has CV-19 or is unknown to me like a car accident, I would switch to the half mask and gloves to protect myself. I used to on occasion need to use full face masks but they fog up way to easy unless they are the supplied air type.

doc henderson

there are a variety of N95 sizes and manufacturers.  In the medical field, everyone is fit tested for the N95s.  a lot more toxic stuff in welding and other industries.  many are tough old farts that ignored their own health to get the job done.  we are not required to have PFTs.   :) :) :)

Thank You Sponsors!