iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1 Oops=new bar!

Started by Caloren, October 16, 2014, 07:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caloren

Thinning out some pine and fir trees, cutting one about 14" x 80' - pinched saw, top hung up in adjacent tree. Attached cable as high as I could reach with the other end attached to Explorer, wife [in truck  ;D ] applying pressure to relieve saw. Continued cut and tree was pulled off stump taking saw with it!  :( Used another saw to cut about 5' up the tree to get the tree down. Figured the bar was going to be in a U shape but it didn't look bad, it [and the tree] landed in about 6 inches of pine needles with soft loam under it. Cut a section of stump off and it left a nice round top to it!  :-\  It being the original laminated bar on the 028 I figured it was dead.
In the last 40 years of occasional use I have pinched a bar a few times, but this is the first one I have bent.
Decided to take a slight detour from the Sierras home by way of Woodland and Baileys to save some shipping charges. The only bar with the specs I needed [20" x 063 x 325] was an Oregon Pro Lite bar. Seems the price was a little steep, but it was needed!  :-[  Has anyone used one of these? Do you need to be a little gentle with the light weight bars?
             Loren
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

HolmenTree

The Oregon Pro Lite bars go back many years ago. I field  tested Oregon 72LG sawchain  and their radial ported rim sprockets on a 3/8 ProLite bar around about 1980 and 1982-'83 respectably.
Good bar for the homeowner, but don't let the "Pro" in the name fool you. The rails do spread quickly beyond the original gauge measurement within a couple of weeks of high production cutting.
But those 2 weeks of production cutting would be equal to years of normal homeowner use.
Good little bar.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

clww

For occasional-use sawing, I would go by Tractor Supply and get a Forrester bar. The chain is not that great IMHO.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

luvmexfood

I have them oops days too. But they are better than an oh crap day.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Caloren

Thanks for the replies guys.  :)
Holmen; Always appreciate your vast knowledge and experience. I know the prolite is a laminated bar with, I think, a hollowed out center section, but the original Stihl bar was laminated and lasted many years. I was mainly worried that this one might bend a little easier.

clww; Never thought about TSC having bar's, we stopped in Yuba City for lunch one block away from them. I sort of doubt they would have one like I needed, but I'll look next time I'm in one of their stores.

luvmexfood; I have had "o crap" days too! I have a dented fender on the Explorer from a tree going the wrong way to prove it.  :'(
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

gologit

Quote from: Caloren on October 17, 2014, 01:29:49 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.  :)

clww; Never thought about TSC having bar's, we stopped in Yuba City for lunch one block away from them. I sort of doubt they would have one like I needed, but I'll look next time I'm in one of their stores.

If you were in that part of town you were also real close to a great saw shop...Clark and Son , just across Hwy 20.  They're the closest thing to an old-time saw shop in that area.  TSC is alright but there's really nobody there that knows anything if you have questions.
Clark and Son has been around a long time.
Semi-retired...life is good.

Caloren

[/quote]

If you were in that part of town you were also real close to a great saw shop...Clark and Son , just across Hwy 20.  They're the closest thing to an old-time saw shop in that area.  TSC is alright but there's really nobody there that knows anything if you have questions.
Clark and Son has been around a long time.
[/quote]
Thanks for the info. I don't get to Yuba City too often but next time I'll look for Clark & Son, hadn't heard of them before.

gologit

You're welcome.  They're a good outfit to deal with. They're primarily a Husky dealer but they can work on anything.  They usually have the best selection of bars and chains in that area.

From Hwy 20 take Stabler Lane north and the first left should be Starr.  Left on Starr to the shop.

It's probably on Google maps.
Semi-retired...life is good.

luvmexfood

Caloren. Haven't gotten a vehicle (yet). Almost got a tractor. Had it plenty clear but when the tree came off the stump on a hillside the butt landed about 8ft. from the stump and then slid probably another 6ft. "Switched" the tractor with some finger sized twigs but no harm. Course the tractor is over 30 years and has been used hard and put up wet so whats another scratch.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Wild Man Jack

Happened to me too a couple weeks ago with my new echo cs-590. I was notching a tree that was leaning just so it didn't kick up so bad on the cut and it squashed the bar. Needed my other saw to cut the tree down to get the bar out (I did remove the powerhead first) Chain wouldn't fit back in to the bar either so had to pick up a new one. I bought a bar and chain just to have another chain, but when I tried the old chain in the new bar it wouldn't go in. Not sure why, maybe try cleaning it up if oI'll and dust got a little caked on or something. But ya, I know how those days go...

Caloren

Jack, Is the new bar the same gauge as the old one [and the old chain]? My problem at Bailey's [the reason I bought a more expensive bar] was I needed a .063 gauge. They had quite a few bars in .050 gauge, but all my chains for this saw was in .063 gauge.
  Loren

Wild Man Jack

I actually bought a replacement blade from echo, looks like an oregon pro-lite also, in an .050. I paid 55 dollars for the bar and 28 for the chain, but in Canada it's more money to order a cheaper bar and chain from baileys, then I usually have to drive an hour to the border to get it. They did have a power-match bar and chain combo for 70, but it's a lot of hassle to and money get it to Canada. Also, I was hoping the old chain would be good, but the power-match I believe uses more links, so I couldn't have used my old chain as a second chain.

Caloren

Examine the drive links on the old chain. I have had to file some burrs off a few drive links when the chain flies off the bar. An acquaintance gave me a little Homelite and said he thought there was something wrong with the clutch because the saw would run, but wouldn't pull the chain. While examining it I found burrs on three drive links, filed them off and the saw ran fine.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Wild Man Jack on October 20, 2014, 04:47:31 PM
I actually bought a replacement blade from echo, looks like an oregon pro-lite also, in an .050. I paid 55 dollars for the bar and 28 for the chain, but in Canada it's more money to order a cheaper bar and chain from baileys, then I usually have to drive an hour to the border to get it. They did have a power-match bar and chain combo for 70, but it's a lot of hassle to and money get it to Canada. Also, I was hoping the old chain would be good, but the power-match I believe uses more links, so I couldn't have used my old chain as a second chain.
Jack,like Caloren said you may have to file some burs off your chains drive link tips.
What's this about driving to the border to pick up your Baileys's order?
That must be an expensive drive from Winnipeg :D
I get my Bailey's orders shipped up here to The Pas 400 miles north of you by Canada Post. Sure doesn't cost me a tank of fuel. ;)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Wild Man Jack

Awesome thanks for the advice everyone. And ya I take advantage of the usually free shipping in the US and  the difference in gas between canada and the states when I get to the border basically makes the trip free if I time it for an empty tank. In this case though I needed the saw in a hurry so just picked up a bar and blade locally. I will give a closer look to the old chain and clean it up. Thanks again!

Thank You Sponsors!