iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sycamore Trees

Started by Bill Gaiche, May 24, 2020, 09:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

Ever since early spring I have noticed that many sycamore trees have not developed their leaves as normal. Many trees have in the very tops a few nice leaves and down lower they are small and now I see some are dying. I have noticed this in northwest Arkansas and northeast Oklahoma. The trees seem to be dying to me. Has anyone out there noticed the same thing and if you have, what are your thoughts about what's going on with these trees not developing fully, with nice big leaves? They are sad looking.....
 bg

Southside

Funny you should say that, past week or two I noticed they seemed to be really late to leaf out this year.  Will have to go take a good look at a few and see how they are doing.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

curdog

Sycamore anthracnose is a common disease that sycamore gets.  I wonder if that is what you're seeing. 
Sycamore Diseases & Insect Pests | Home & Garden Information Center

LeeB

Many of the trees around here are late leafing out, sycamores included. Some of the oaks are only just now putting leaves. I think the two late freezes we had may have a part to do with it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

low_48

My neighbor had a giant sycamore in his back yard here in Peoria, IL. He always said spring for that sycamore was the 4th of July. It always did leaf out, much to my disdain. My yard gets about 3/4 of the leaves due to the prevailing winds.

kantuckid

My very few (I'm good with that too!) are leafed out fully. Maybe OK got the coldest spring in a 100 yrs like we did in E KY? Lots of trees still showing bad leaves, not many seed buds, etc., here even though out full green in the woods.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Autocar

Even though Sycamore trees are river bottom ground trees they don't like wet weather. As soon as the soil starts drying out there leaf out.
Bill

moodnacreek

They leaf out twice here.

Thank You Sponsors!